Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
No LOL?

By legal default, on our way.

5d51484c0c31e01a1a5911ef35720deb.jpg

LOL [emoji23]

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
5d51484c0c31e01a1a5911ef35720deb.jpg

LOL [emoji23]

As maybe, but look at the facts.
d365a2206ef003b84b46d6012b659b1f.jpg

If Salvini vetos the extension to Article 50 it Leaves the nuclear option of reneging Article 50, I’m not sure that’s very wise of Parliament, with 11 days to go it’s all very exciting don’t you think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

If Salvini vetos the extension to Article 50 it Leaves the nuclear option of reneging Article 50, I’m not sure that’s very wise of Parliament, with 11 days to go it’s all very exciting don’t you think?

And yet the exact same number voted for no deal as remain.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Yeah, nice one.

Because statistically the pensioners and unemployed were DEFINITELY all Remain voters :rolleyes:

Nice one :thumbsup:.I knew I had missed someone from the list of useless unemployables-statisticians.Pensioners and unemployed?How about Cable and Corbin?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That breaks the Article 50 rules as clarified in court.

Only another Government could re-trigger it, so another election needed.
Ok, so we'd trigger it after the next election.

What is the rule that stops the same government triggering it twice? Seems like a weird rule for us to impose on ourselves.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ok, so we'd trigger it after the next election.

What is the rule that stops the same government triggering it twice? Seems like a weird rule for us to impose on ourselves.

It's not a rule against triggering it twice.

It's a ruling that revocation must be in genuine good faith and serious.

It doesn't count if there is revocation and then re-triggering. This could be done, but the revocation would be cancelled, and the clock would restart at the same point as it stopped - ie not with a new full 2 year negotiation.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's not a rule against triggering it twice.

It's a ruling that revocation must be in genuine good faith and serious.
Right - so, we're about to crash out with no deal, which is not acceptable to anyone, so we need to revoke it while we decide what the hell we're going to do. The government could then spend months working on a completely new deal (eg, common market, Norway+ etc), then trigger Article 50 again.

It doesn't count if there is revocation and then re-triggering. This could be done, but the revocation would be cancelled, and the clock would restart at the same point as it stopped - ie not with a new full 2 year negotiation.
If we came up with a new deal, it would be pretty daft if the EU forced us out with no deal, rather than agree to spend time discussing our new proposal.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I'm not surprised you're excited. 11 more days and you might, 3 years later, find out what you voted for :)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Right - so, we're about to crash out with no deal, which is not acceptable to anyone, so we need to revoke it while we decide what the hell we're going to do. The government could then spend months working on a completely new deal (eg, common market, Norway+ etc), then trigger Article 50 again.

If we came up with a new deal, it would be pretty daft if the EU forced us out with no deal, rather than agree to spend time discussing our new proposal.
Hang on, even when the clock restarts at the same time on re-triggering, I never said that at that point an extension ( granted by the EU ) isn't possible - of course it is, but not a 100% certainty.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hang on, even when the clock restarts at the same time on re-triggering, I never said that at that point an extension ( granted by the EU ) isn't possible - of course it is, but not a 100% certainty.
Yes ok. So we could revoke it, then debate the way forward, then either trigger it again (and rely on the EU to grant an extension, as we will have done something meaningful (completely new deal), or we'd have to trigger it again after the next election.

With 11 days until the deadline, it's an option.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes ok. So we could revoke it, then debate the way forward, then either trigger it again (and rely on the EU to grant an extension, as we will have done something meaningful (completely new deal), or we'd have to trigger it again after the next election.

Absolutely. Could happen, perhaps.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Worth pointing out that arch leavers like (and not a bad bloke) Bill Cash are 100% behind the speaker.

This was a nod to Brexiteers.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Are you sure? Not quite sure why you're referring to an extension if we revoke A50 as it would mean there is no time limit as at that point we would no longer be in the process of leaving. I don't think we are able to revoke A50 if it is merely a delaying tactic. If that is the case, maybe the EU will insist that to demonstrate good faith in that it isn't a delaying tactic that we should then hold a further referendum!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Are you sure? Not quite sure why you're referring to an extension if we revoke A50 as it would mean there is no time limit as at that point we would no longer be in the process of leaving.
You've misread. After revoking, we could later trigger A50 again. But Blue Valkyrie says that if we do that (before the next election) it won't be another 2 years, it will just be the few days that we currently have left, so we'd need to ask for an extension.

I don't think we are able to revoke A50 if it is merely a delaying tactic.
We don't need to satisfy special criteria to revoke it, the government can do that (it's not clear whether it needs an act of parliament, but it's the UK's choice). We can make up whatever excuse we like, but 'to avoid crashing out without a deal' seems like a reasonable one.

If that is the case, maybe the EU will insist that to demonstrate good faith in that it isn't a delaying tactic that we should then hold a further referendum!!
It's up to us if we revoke or not, they don't get a say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here