Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Tariffs to zero on 90% of goods in the event of no deal...

Who has said tariffs on 90% of goods will be slashed to 0%.....sounds like you have wet the bed before understanding what you have read.

Christ, is this one desperate attempt to try and bounce MP's to vote for her crap deal?

Still if everyone in manufacturing loses their jobs there is the £1.6B hardship fund to help everyone out

That would also be a great deal for developing countries, they'd will be queues for our goods and services, just you wait, Bye any leverage on trades deal

One of lifes new great mysteries.
The UK reducing as of yet unknown import tariff rates across some but not all product lines is somehow now protectionist across the board , is economic suicide, is going to ruin what agriculture and manufacturing we have left and generally a really really bad idea according to remoaners.
The EU reducing import tariffs across nearly all product lines in free trade agreements and economic partnership agreements is absolutely wonderful…..all hail the EU for reducing import tariffs.
Some people (remoaning hypocrites) just like to moan for the sake of it, without realising they are contradicting themselves

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Minister on Radio 4 just as much confirming that the Tariff removal plan is true.

Made some vague comment about protecting "ceramics".

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Umm you do realise one of the major points about Leaving was leaving the customs union and being able to set our own import tariff rates independently from the EU and to no longer have to abide by the high “common” protectionist rates.
How is it remainers are all of a sudden incredibly surprised that this is exactly what is being suggested with the applied "no Deal" rates. How is it you lot never understood this?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As proof of how poor my understanding of this is...

Wouldn't the removal of tarrifs without reciprocal agreements mean other countries will be queuing up to sell to us, but refusing to buy anything from the UK?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Wouldn't the removal of tarrifs without reciprocal agreements mean other countries will be queuing up to sell to us, but refusing to buy anything from the UK?

Fake. News.......every country in the world are queueing up to buy our...erm whatever we make anymore.

Remember the world needs us mor than we need the world.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

YES

Disaster for HM treasury...

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

I havnt seen anyone suggesting except twitter that import tariffs across the board are going to be removed entirely. The news is that import tariffs on some product lines (but not all) will be reduced from the maximum bound rate.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Umm you do realise one of the major points about Leaving was leaving the customs union and being able to set our own import tariff rates independently from the EU and to no longer have to abide by the high “common” protectionist rates.
How is it remainers are all of a sudden incredibly surprised that this is exactly what is being suggested with the applied "no Deal" rates. How is it you lot never understood this?

So we offer zero tariffs on a range of imports with no agreements for reciprocal arrangements for our exporters. Imports therefore cheaper and exports more expensive!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
So we offer zero tariffs on a range of imports with no agreements for reciprocal arrangements for our exporters. Imports therefore cheaper and exports more expensive!

I havnt seen what the rates are, only that there will indeed be reductions with the applied rates as expected.It was always going to be when you consider we now set our own import tariff rates.
Which products have you heard outside the Tariff Rate Quota system are going to be zero tariff?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well thats going to annoy the hell out of Watford zero who laughed at the notion that we actually set our own import tariff rates.

Maybe you should have read the answer I posted 5 times for you

It's good that you have finally taken an interest in the way the WTO operates, even if it is nearly 3 years too late !

(And Meg always told me you were a shy 'no dealer' so I am glad that's been cleared up)

I'll do this slowly, so you can understand.

These rates are set by the UK 'as confirmed by Gove'

TRUE BUT IRRELEVANT AS OUR SCHEDULES WILL NOT BE PASSED IN 38 DAYS.

We can choose different rates across different product lines.

Tariff rate commitments, (both ceiling rate and applied rate) are decided by the UK, together with quotas (which will help explain to you why there are the two rates). This is a method of controlling volumes of imports.

I'll try one last time.

Because we don't have any agreed schedules, and will not have in 38 days we will use the WTO 'default tariffs'. There is only one default tariff, because there are no quotas and, therefor, no method of controlling volumes. The UK still has some control. By product, we can decide to charge the default tariff or not charge the default tariff. And whatever we decide applies to all WTO members under the Most-favoured-nation (MFN) rules.

You can keep wittering on with whataboutisms for ever more, but these are the simple facts.

I havnt seen anyone suggesting except twitter that import tariffs across the board are going to be removed entirely. The news is that import tariffs on some product lines (but not all) will be reduced from the maximum bound rate.

And this is the exact quote from the article you referenced. Try reading what you post. Can you see any issues with eliminating entirely 90% of tariffs ???

'According to government sources the 10-20% of more sensitive items which will retain their protection includes cars, beef, lamb, dairy and some lines of textiles. However, the vast majority of tariffs, including those on the component parts used to make cars, many finished food products and even some farm produce including cereals, will be eliminated entirely.'

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-government-to-slash-up-to-90-of-trade-tariffs-if-uk-leaves-eu-with-no-deal-11656093

As I said at the beginning of the first quote, it's great that you have now taken an interest in the WTO even if it is 3 years too late and you keep getting it wrong :facepalm:

However, one last time IT IS ALL IRRELEVANT AS WE WILL NOT LEAVE WITH 'NO DEAL' IN 23 DAYS.

I was going to say that this is now dawning on even the most 'challenged' of Leave Voters.

Then I saw [MENTION=27463]Tubby-McFat-Fuc[/MENTION] broke the agreement we had that he wouldn't post rubbish and I wouldn't make him look stupid with another sterling post last night :dunce:

So I'll change it to, it is now dawning on all but the most 'challenged' leave voter that 'no deal' isn't going to happen.

Desperate.

But at least we only have to put up with this shite for another 23 days.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I havnt seen what the rates are, only that there will indeed be reductions with the applied rates as expected.It was always going to be when you consider we now set our own import tariff rates.
Which products have you heard outside the Tariff Rate Quota system are going to be zero tariff?

See Watford's post below.

D

Deleted member 22389

Fake. News.......every country in the world are queueing up to buy our...erm whatever we make anymore.

Remember the world needs us mor than we need the world.

We export lots of products, Henry Hoovers, Norton Motorbikes, Brompton Bikes, JCB and so on. You might actually be surprised what we do manufacture.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I see Greg Clark has said this morning we won't actually be publishing the no deal tariff rates until we know we're definitely leaving with no deal, plus it's reported that The Department for International Trade 'aren't discussing it with business in case they talk to each other.' :lolol:

As that is just too tin-pot beyond belief coupled even for Little England, post Brexit Britain, coupled with the remarks attributed to the Chief Whip this morning, I'm more positive than I have been for a while that there won't be a no deal.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We export lots of products, Henry Hoovers, Norton Motorbikes, Brompton Bikes, JCB and so on. You might actually be surprised what we do manufacture.

Fantastic...we are saved!

Bring this brexit on

It is going to be fantastic....we can sell diggers

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Your understanding is correct.

Removing tariffs is good as part of a reciprocal trade deal.

Removing tariffs unilaterally is madness, as trade partners have no reason to do the same.

So we have tariffs on outbound goods, but cheap inbound goods come in to undercut our own goods.

Goodbye jobs, was nice having them.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I see Greg Clark has said this morning we won't actually be publishing the no deal tariff rates until we know we're definitely leaving with no deal, plus it's reported that The Department for International Trade 'aren't discussing it with business in case they talk to each other.' [emoji38]ol:

As that is just too tin-pot beyond belief coupled even for Little England, post Brexit Britain, coupled with the remarks attributed to the Chief Whip this morning, I'm more positive than I have been for a while that there won't be a no deal.
Clark will be resigning if *no deal* anyway, so he won't be the one discussing tariffs in that situation anyway.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But surely Henri Hoovers et al will be able to dramatically undercut the price of Henry Hoovers in the UK, while our Henry's will suddenly look very expensive when lined up next to Henri in au Currys.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Maybe you should have read the answer I posted 5 times for you

And this is the exact quote from the article you referenced. Try reading what you post. Can you see any issues with eliminating entirely 90% of tariffs ???

'According to government sources the 10-20% of more sensitive items which will retain their protection includes cars, beef, lamb, dairy and some lines of textiles. However, the vast majority of tariffs, including those on the component parts used to make cars, many finished food products and even some farm produce including cereals, will be eliminated entirely.'

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-government-to-slash-up-to-90-of-trade-tariffs-if-uk-leaves-eu-with-no-deal-11656093

As I said at the beginning of the first quote, it's great that you have now taken an interest in the WTO even if it is 3 years too late and you keep getting it wrong :facepalm:

However, one last time IT IS ALL IRRELEVANT AS WE WILL NOT LEAVE WITH 'NO DEAL' IN 23 DAYS.

I was going to say that this is now dawning on even the most 'challenged' of Leave Voters.

Then I saw [MENTION=27463]Tubby-McFat-Fuc[/MENTION] broke the agreement we had that he wouldn't post rubbish and I wouldn't make him look stupid with another sterling post last night :dunce:

So I'll change it to, it is now dawning on all but the most 'challenged' leave voter that 'no deal' isn't going to happen.

Desperate.

But at least we only have to put up with this shite for another 23 days.

The answer you gave 5 times avoided the question you wally.
Maybe you should have read your own replies where you contradicted yourself and laughed at the notion that countries set their own import tariff rates.

Are you in some competition with Two Profs for the single most stupid post on this whole thread ?.

So we are going to 'decide' these tariff rates all on our own and just charge whatever we want without agreement from other members of the WTO ? Maybe everyone in the WTO just 'decides' whatever tariff rates they fancy themselves and then charges them :facepalm:

Makes you wonder why the WTO bother existing :lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

And I see you still think any country in the WTO can set any tariffs and quotas it likes and start charging them regardless, possibly for years ? Makes the WTO somewhat pointless doesn't it :facepalm:

Do you want to tell the government or sky news they are talking bollocks and that you are right instead and we cant set our own import tariff rates? Whilst saying at the same time the sky news report must be true and we do set our own import rates.Make your mind up.
Are you ever going to share the list of or link to the default import tariffs the WTO produces themselves that you said we would have to use or have you simply given up after realising you were just confused?

I am pleased to see you no longer saying No deal is not possible and have conceded it is possible but you believe it is not probable, i knew you would stop being so stupid in the end after we pointed it out to you.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Clark will be resigning if *no deal* anyway, so he won't be the one discussing tariffs in that situation anyway.

Perhaps, but as they're not even being discussed by way of consultation with business when there's just 23 days to go to no deal and they might apply, this whole charade has just got too tin-pot for belief now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here