Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goldson - Rangers [CONFIRMED]

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The only thing about him leaving that is a mistake is that we let him go without securing a replacement.

You don't think that either Leon Balogun, who plays international football at centre back and at right back, or Bernardo, with Bundelsiga experience at centre back and full back, can be considered replacements for Connor Goldson, then?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You don't think that either Leon Balogun, who plays international football at centre back and at right back, or Bernardo, with Bundelsiga experience at centre back and full back, can be considered replacements for Connor Goldson, then?

No. Balogun replaced UH... and Bernardo is primarily a left-back (see Argus article)... also, neither are HGP's, and we are running up against missing out on attaining the 8 HGP's required, hence we have made a mistake letting CG go without replacing him...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No. Balogun replaced UH... and Bernardo is primarily a left-back (see Argus article)... also, neither are HGP's, and we are running up against missing out on attaining the 8 HGP's required, hence we have made a mistake letting CG go without replacing him...

Strangely, I'm convinced the club actually know what they're doing.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

We don't NEED to have 8 HGPs, it's just that we can't name more than 17 non-HGPs in the 25-man squad. Chelsea named a squad of 21 (inc. 4 HGPs) in both September and February last season.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We don't NEED to have 8 HGPs, it's just that we can't name more than 17 non-HGPs in the 25-man squad. Chelsea named a squad of 21 (inc. 4 HGPs) in both September and February last season.

True, but we need to take every possible opportunity just to survive... we are clearly NOT Chelsea...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Example... Hudds survived last season just by making early signings and getting good early results... every little bit counts... we must name 8 good quality HGP's IMHO...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Example... Hudds survived last season just by making early signings and getting good early results... every little bit counts... we must name 8 good quality HGP's IMHO...

I remember the panics and tantrums when Huddersfield made lots of early signings and we were deemed to be struggling.

Now tell me, who got 40 points with games to spare and who struggled over the line at the last minute.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Indeed.

It is fair to say :

Huenemeier - > Balogun
Rosenior - > Bernardo
Goldson - > ???

However, as Bernardo could play 4th choice Central Defence, then we could consider naming a 24 man squad with 7 HGPs and Ben White as 5th pick...

....IF he takes his chance in pre-season.

Perhaps a better choice than paying Reading's £15 million ransom for Moore ? ???

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I remember the panics and tantrums when Huddersfield made lots of early signings and we were deemed to be struggling.

Now tell me, who got 40 points with games to spare and who struggled over the line at the last minute.

So what? They DID get over the line...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Indeed.

It is fair to say :

Huenemeier - > Balogun
Rosenior - > Bernardo
Goldson - > ???

However, as Bernardo could play 4th choice Central Defence, then we could consider naming a 24 man squad with 7 HGPs and Ben White as 5th pick...

....IF he takes his chance in pre-season.

Perhaps a better choice than paying Reading's £15 million ransom for Moore ? ???

I agree that Reading are bang out of order at that price, but that is my point... they know we are chasing a HGP CB, and we have stupidly (IMHO) let CG go without agreeing the replacement deal... they (and other clubs) now have us by the short and curlies... I used to negotiate multi-million pound contracts, and am certain we've messed up here...

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I agree that Reading are bang out of order at that price, but that is my point... they know we are chasing a HGP CB, and we have stupidly (IMHO) let CG go without agreeing the replacement deal... they (and other clubs) now have us by the short and curlies... I used to negotiate multi-million pound contracts, and am certain we've messed up here...

You get your knickers in a twist about our recruitment every transfer window. Take some time off! The club know they need another CB, hence the pursuit of Moore. Whether we end with him or not who knows, but I'm sure we are on it.

For me this is the big advantage of window shutting before the season starts, you have to address all of this before a ball is kicked.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I prefer our way with planned and considered recruitment.

Hmmm... I agree with our recruitment approach, but I was just pointing out how marginal it all is... IMHO, we can't afford to end the window without 25 in the squad and 8 HGP's, and we shot ourselves in the foot by letting CG go too early...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You get your knickers in a twist about our recruitment every transfer window. Take some time off! The club know they need another CB, hence the pursuit of Moore. Whether we end with him or not who knows, but I'm sure we are on it.

For me this is the big advantage of window shutting before the season starts, you have to address all of this before a ball is kicked.

Hey, just my opinion, as I've made clear... may I suggest you stop over-defending the club...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Did you, you’ve never mentioned that before :kiss:

Yes, alright, good point, but I'm pointing out that I know what I'm talking about when I say we've shot ourselves in the foot with the sale of CG before replacing him, and severely weakened our negotiating position...:kiss:

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Hey, just my opinion, as I've made clear... may I suggest you stop over-defending the club...

You're right, we've obviously decided not to sign an HGP CB or we've just forgotten altogether. Maybe you should e-mail PB to remind him?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here