Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Duffy

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It was indeed Pröpper, a shocking pass.

But one he took on because Webster gave him the sign to say it was ok.

As Bold says it's the stupid mistakes that are hurting (and not scoring up t'other end)

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Nobody, absolutely nobody is debating that Webster doesn’t have the attributes to go on to be a very good defender, but right now, as things stand, he’s not as good at defending as Duffy, that’s not to say Duffy doesn’t have his own limitations but right now, being in a relegation scrap, Duffy looks the better option. I believe playing alongside Webster is having an adverse effect on Dunk’s performances.
Obviously Potter has other ideas and that’s absolutely fine, but from my perspective it seems a bit odd.

I think you've forgotten this post you made last night. It seemed you couldn't say a good word about him. Even your praise was having a dig

Nice to see you can now..

Webster is miles behind Duffy in terms of actually defending, he’s not particularly strong in the air, isn’t very physical, can’t track a runner to save his life, isn’t actually anywhere near as good at distributing the ball as people think, but he does have a nice touch and squares a mean 10 yard pass to Dunk.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
We need strength and depth at this level so the truth is we need both Webster and Duffy my main issue is for both to push on we need competition for places so if one is not performing they get replaced by the other. That has not happened so far which I imagine will lead to Duffy wanting out

I also think Webster’s defensive deficiencies and Duffy’s lack of quality on the ball are both hugely overplayed on here. They are both more than capable of playing at this level.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
But one he took on because Webster gave him the sign to say it was ok.

As Bold says it's the stupid mistakes that are hurting (and not scoring up t'other end)

Ahhh, so Propper played a blind pass because Webster told him it was ok. Rigghhhhttt. I don't think you really get that much conversation time in a football match.

It's OK to own up to Davy being capable of error you know, it doesn't mean he's not a good player

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We need strength and depth at this level so the truth is we need both Webster and Duffy my main issue is for both to push on we need competition for places so if one is not performing they get replaced by the other. That has not happened so far which I imagine will lead to Duffy wanting out

I also think Webster’s defensive deficiencies and Duffy’s lack of quality on the ball are both hugely overplayed on here. They are both more than capable of playing at this level.

If I'm honest, I don't think Webster would get into any other Premier team at his current level, maybe with the exception of Norwich as they have had a few out and play good football from the back. Other clubs want Duffy for a reason

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ahhh, so Propper played a blind pass because Webster told him it was ok. Rigghhhhttt. I don't think you really get that much conversation time in a football match.

It's OK to own up to Davy being capable of error you know, it doesn't mean he's not a good player

If I've remembered it right (not usually the case)

Propper was facing Webster (and Ryan) just outside the penalty area.
Webster passed the ball forward, while pointing to his right.
Propper received the ball, in an incredibly dangerous area, and instantly played the ball as instructed.

Webster's pass was poor
Propper's pass was woeful.
Webster's command of the situation was suspect.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If I've remembered it right (not usually the case)

Propper was facing Webster (and Ryan) just outside the penalty area.
Webster passed the ball forward, while pointing to his right.
Propper received the ball, in an incredibly dangerous area, and instantly played the ball as instructed.

Webster's pass was poor
Propper's pass was woeful.
Webster's command of the situation was suspect.

Webster played the pass (straight to him, the pass was fine), but can hardly be held responsible for what Davy does next

What’s important is that Propper has visibly worked on his game since giving a couple of goals away in similar fashion in the Autumn. Watch him about to receive a ball now, he has had his look already and so can pop it off first time risk free if he chooses

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
That was horrendous.........would have been a goal against a a better team.

Duffy is an absolute beast in the air and we definitely miss that. I think Dunk misses him too (and perhaps Ryan, hence him looking more nervous recently). He never loses a header, ever. He is also, though, seemingly just about incapable of a decent long ball - whenever he’s played recently it’s been noticeable how many balls get shanked into the stands by him.

Need a clone of half Webster/half Duffy.........

That's pretty much bang on with the reality of the situation.
If only Webster could defend a bit better and cut out mistakes, or Duffy could pass/carry the ball a bit better, we'd have the best defenders for Potters system.

As it happens, as you allude, both have a part of their game that's lacking, so do you choose the ball player who's not defending that great, or the defender who's not passing under pressure that great?

What we need is either Shane Webster or Adam Duffy.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If only Webster could defend a bit better and cut out mistakes, or Duffy could pass/carry the ball a bit better, we'd have the best defenders for Potters system.

As it happens, as you allude, both have a part of their game that's lacking, so do you choose the ball player who's not defending that great, or the defender who's not passing under pressure that great?

Basically what you're saying then, is that we need to get Lewis Dunk cloned.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I think you've forgotten this post you made last night. It seemed you couldn't say a good word about him. Even your praise was having a dig

Nice to see you can now..

I remember what I wrote last night, and it still stands. With regards to defensive ability he doesn’t hold a candle to Duffy AT THE MONENT. He’s a better ball player and I’m sure he’ll develop into a solid player, but right now I’d still prefer to see Duffy start as I suspect Webster’s confidence might have taken a knock and I feel, rightly or wrongly, that Duffy would help shore up the defence a touch.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

There is something in that, especially for a tinkerman coach.

I've felt it completely Naive to go to places like Man City and try and play toe to toe, more often than not you'll lose, even at Chelsea and Liverpool where we sort of held our own a bit, we still lost. Against those teams around us and where we want to play on the front foot and attack, maybe Webster suits that game more for Potter..... But when we go away to someone near the top, even when city and Liverpool come to the Amex, trying not to concede is more important than ever. In that situation, its Duffy and Dunk, the 2 best defenders together every time.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Webster played the pass (straight to him, the pass was fine), but can hardly be held responsible for what Davy does next

What’s important is that Propper has visibly worked on his game since giving a couple of goals away in similar fashion in the Autumn. Watch him about to receive a ball now, he has had his look already and so can pop it off first time risk free if he chooses

I'm with Stat on this one. Propper rightly or wrongly went with what Webster told him to do. He shouldn't have played a blind pass but, similarly, Webster shouldn't have passed to him and pointed for him to pass to our right back - which wasn't a particularly good call even if the pass had been a better one from Propper.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

We might get the wrong halves [emoji33][emoji33]

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
I'm with Stat on this one. Propper rightly or wrongly went with what Webster told him to do. He shouldn't have played a blind pass but, similarly, Webster shouldn't have passed to him and pointed for him to pass to our right back - which wasn't a particularly good call even if the pass had been a better one from Propper.

I agree.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Propper is brilliant at that, look at his body position when he recieves the ball, it’s superb and always gives him the opportunity to find space, move forward or just pop it off to another player. I would say Propper has really progressed his game to another level in the last few months, just a shame some of his team mates haven’t. Potter deseves credit for that too.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
The worry is if Duffy becomes unhappy with the situation (if he isn’t already) and is not allowed to move but instead has to start for us for whatever reason and puts in a performance as he did in his last game for Blackburn.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That looks even worse for Webster who not only indicates where Propper should play the ball but seemingly does so without checking himself if it was the right pass to make.

As said earlier a whole host of easily avoided errors made by 2 players who should have done so much better.

Sound familiar?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Basically what you're saying then, is that we need to get Lewis Dunk cloned.

Done.

Inkeddownload_LI.jpg

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
That looks even worse for Webster whole not only indicates where Propper should play the ball but seemingly does so without checking himself if it was the right pass to make.

As said earlier a whole host of easily avoided errors made by 2 players who should have done so much better.

Sound familiar?

Commentator in that clip after the Webster/propper incident.

"Well Brighton have to change it, you can't keep gifting goals like this"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here