Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Peter Beardsley: Former Newcastle United coach suspended from football

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Beardsley, being white, male, oldish, British AND English at that...once accused and you’re in this demographic then no chance. Guilty as charged. He might as well confess to knowing Justin Trudeau and Gary Glitter. Great player mind. Sad he’ll now be remembered as a racist.
Today he had the opportunity to turn the verdict on it's head and what does he do. He hides behind the one positive statement in the "findings". Self Preservation at its worst. The man has been an icon for years in Newcastle.

He should have come out today and said.

"I am so sorry that my behaviour and my words caused offence to anyone. I didn't mean to. This was due to my own failure to educate myself on racial issues. I am going to go away and learn from this. I am going to put right the wrongs that I have done. I am going to educate myself of racial issues and I promise it won't happen again. I am going to do it and I urge everyone else to do the same"

That's what he should have said. Instead what does he do ?

He says he is disappointed by the findings but he is pleased they didn't find him himself "racist".

The man truly needs help because I find his response today just as bad as his initial comments

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I cannot excuse him for being"oldish", he is a lot younger than me and I know that you cannot say today what people said in my youth. He was in a
Position of dealing with youngsters of all kinds .

Even if unintended, he should have known better .

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Im not paying my taxes to bang people up for saying something in jest however inappropriate it was. A year?! How long do you put people away for dropping fag butts?!!

Am I missing some sarcasm or have you not ready anything to do with this?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I see from the ordure in the replies I don't need to question why I have the one dissenting voice on this thread on ignore.

If I might play fantasy gammon bingo, I'm guessing we have:

Bantz
Whatabout

No actually, I find it almost impossible to conceive how anyone could find words to exonerate (especially his valedictory 'not racist' conclusion) here. And I don't want to know.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Today he had the opportunity to turn the verdict on it's head and what does he do. He hides behind the one positive statement in the "findings". Self Preservation at its worst. The man has been an icon for years in Newcastle.

He should have come out today and said.

"I am so sorry that my behaviour and my words caused offence to anyone. I didn't mean to. This was due to my own failure to educate myself on racial issues. I am going to go away and learn from this. I am going to put right the wrongs that I have done. I am going to educate myself of racial issues and I promise it won't happen again. I am going to do it and I urge everyone else to do the same"

That's what he should have said. Instead what does he do ?

He says he is disappointed by the findings but he is pleased they didn't find him himself "racist".

The man truly needs help because I find his response today just as bad as his initial comments

What evidence was there he was racially abusive? PB said initially the three guys made the story up for financial gain. How many people have testified against him? It' a bit weird charging him then saying he's not a racist.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Part of the brilliant late-eighties Liverpool team that were winning trophies every season. Not just in their results but in their fantastic passing and skill.

This, at a time, when John Barnes famously backheeled a banana that was thrown from the crowd and was part of that phenomenal side. I wonder what he thinks of it all as Barnes and Beardsley are/were best mates on and off the field. ???

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Maybe he'd had enough of the Albanian fella y'kno, makin strange noises next door late at night. Anyway...

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
What evidence was there he was racially abusive? PB said initially the three guys made the story up for financial gain. How many people have testified against him? It' a bit weird charging him then saying he's not a racist.

Yeh lets blame the 'Victims shall we - No wonder it's taking so long to make inroads into this problem

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Am I missing some sarcasm or have you not ready anything to do with this?

Just thought a year was a bit harsh in circumstances. Don’t think prisons could cope with the several million new inmates if so!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just thought a year was a bit harsh in circumstances. Don’t think prisons could cope with the several million new inmates if so!

He’s not in prison, just banned from football

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Yeh lets blame the 'Victims shall we - No wonder it's taking so long to make inroads into this problem

That’s a bit obtuse. It’s more complicated than that. As for inroads, racism has always existed and always will. If your sum game is to eliminate then you’re going to be disappointed. I’d say the UK has made inroads as you put it more than any other country possibly in the world. Humans are a tribal species like many others. We don’t coexist easily, one lot is always trying to get one over the other if you like history sometimes with horrific consequences. Quite proud to call myself British and what we stand for, our heritage and so forth even if my ancestors are being portrayed as villains these days for social engineering purposes.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
That’s a bit obtuse. It’s more complicated than that. As for inroads, racism has always existed and always will. If your sum game is to eliminate then you’re going to be disappointed. I’d say the UK has made inroads as you put it more than any other country possibly in the world. Humans are a tribal species like many others. We don’t coexist easily, one lot is always trying to get one over the other if you like history sometimes with horrific consequences. Quite proud to call myself British and what we stand for, our heritage and so forth even if my ancestors are being portrayed as villains these days for social engineering purposes.

For ''Social Engineering Purposes'' That's a laugh !

You don't have a Monopoly on those Ancestors .. They are my ancestors as well but I acknowledge the fact that some of them were ''Villains'' Britain, Spain, Holland, France, Greece, The Romans, Germany, Turks, The Vikings and a whole lot more - They all were. Just some more recent than others. To dismiss it is burrying your head in the sand.

Am I Nationalistically Proud ? - No I am not and that is simply because we live on a piece of Land that will be here, long after I am gone. I have no claim to it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
For ''Social Engineering Purposes'' That's a laugh !

You don't have a Monopoly on those Ancestors .. They are my ancestors as well but I acknowledge the fact that some of them were ''Villains'' Britain, Spain, Holland, France, Greece, The Romans, Germany, Turks, The Vikings and a whole lot more - They all were. Just some more recent than others. To dismiss it is burrying your head in the sand.

Am I Nationalistically Proud ? - No I am not and that is simply because we live on a piece of Land that will be here, long after I am gone. I have no claim to it.

I do. It’s called a mortgage.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I do. It’s called a mortgage.
Actually. Legally you don't if you have a mortgage. Ownership doesn't transfer until the mortgage is paid off and the transfer off "Deeds" are signed.

And even if you had no mortgage. All land can at the bequest of National or Local Government be compulsory purchased.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It' a bit weird charging him then saying he's not a racist.

If you understand the difference between racist language and racism it isn't.

There is a course you can go on, you might bump into Peter.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Actually. Legally you don't if you have a mortgage. Ownership doesn't transfer until the mortgage is paid off and the transfer off "Deeds" are signed.

And even if you had no mortgage. All land can at the bequest of National or Local Government be compulsory purchased.

Right into my trap! Just wanted to see how much of a pedant you were! Anyway, you can take my house but you’ll never take my freedom!

LVGull

May 13, 2016
If you understand the difference between racist language and racism it isn't.

There is a course you can go on, you might bump into Peter.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Stupid comment. How can you use racist language but not be a racist. You should go on a course you fool. Chris Powell on SSN last night had the same opinion and he’s black?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Beardsley said it's been the worst period of his life since that ill feted advertising campaign with Jimmy Nail led to the collapse of Newcastle based building society when their catchphrase "Suck my cock it's Northern Rock" failed to increase mortgage sales.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here