Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wilfred Bony

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He was a free agent as I understand it before the window shut, so can sign for a club at anytime during the season.

Yep. And was, encouragingly, training with.....................................................Newport County.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yep. And was, encouragingly, training with.....................................................Newport County.

He's only been there a couple of weeks having played for Ivory Coast in the Africa Cup of Nations this Summer. He lives in South Wales and wants to stay fit whilst he sorts out his next club.

A lot stranger things have happened than Bony coming here.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He's only been there a couple of weeks having played for Ivory Coast in the Africa Cup of Nations this Summer. He lives in South Wales and wants to stay fit whilst he sorts out his next club.

A lot stranger things have happened than Bony coming here.

Oh there's barely been a day go by since last season finished when the Albion haven't surprised me. Signing Bony would be no stranger than, say, having two competing recruitment men, utilising March as a LWB, Dan Burn being brilliant, sending Knocky on loan to the Championship or having a squad of 25 that contained 3 strikers, one of whom was a footballing OAP and another of whom was a kid.

I'm still largely supportive of the Potter revolution and we're certainly playing better football, but I'm prepared to be surprised throughout the season.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Newport boss Mike Flynn said it was "great" to have Bony training with his players.

"He's brilliant around the place because the boys have been learning from him. He's only been here two days so far, the application he's shown has been excellent.

"He's been professional, the tempo he does things, even if it's in the gym, so his cool downs, his training sessions.

"He's been a joy and he's been a big help with the strikers because he's had a few words with them as well, taken them to the side and it just goes to show what a top, top professional he's been."

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
He was a free agent as I understand it before the window shut, so can sign for a club at anytime during the season.

Nope. Rules have changed.

EDIT - Actually having read up on the rules it is slightly more complicated than that. Think we are Ok.

Last edited:

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Hasn't he said though that he wants to stay round South Wales as his kids are at Swansea's academy ?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
All power and pace, unplayable on his day.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Hasn't he said though that he wants to stay round South Wales as his kids are at Swansea's academy ?

Quite the opposite:

"My agent is talking with some clubs in Italy and Turkey also. We are waiting for the best offer and then after discussing it, we will try to go there and sign. I hope to find a club as soon as possible."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49347322

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Quite the opposite:

"My agent is talking with some clubs in Italy and Turkey also. We are waiting for the best offer and then after discussing it, we will try to go there and sign. I hope to find a club as soon as possible."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49347322

Cheers Bozza - must have read the wrong website. I'd be more than happy to have him at the Albion if he's still able to turn it on - used to be great for Swansea.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Yeah Bony has had his struggles. But I would add that the most goals he's managed in a PL season is 16. The most Andone has managed is 3. Hasn't there been a big hoo-ha on here about us not signing players who are proven in the PL? I would certainly have Bony over Andone, who, as likeable as he is, spends all his time inured or suspended. My one provisor for signing Bony would be that it didn't impede Connolly's progress

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I can guarantee well 99.9% we will have no interest in Bony. Not sure why this thread is so long. Its a complete non starter.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Locadia , Andone ......who consistently comes out as and one which pisses me right off and probably AJ getting the punt by the new manager......correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that nigh on 50 million weirdos worth of "talent" down the swanny ...?? ffs give me a job you firkin bell ends.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
If he is fit, he still has some life in him at 30 years old.

He's scored 35 premier league goals, if he can even get close to his previous form of about 4 years ago then this may be a gamble worth taking? He was awesome in his first spell at Swansea, almost unplayable on his day. Brings something a little different to the party too with his brute strength.

But there must be a reason as to why he is without a club? Perhaps his wage-demands are too high for a championship club, and he is deemed too big a risk for a prem club? Who knows...

Last edited:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
If he is fit, he still has some life in him at 30 years old.

He's scored 35 premier league goals, if he can even get close to his previous form of about 4 years ago then this may be a gamble worth taking? He was awesome in his first spell at Swansea, almost unplayable on his day. Brings something a little different to the party too with his brute strength.

But there must be a reason as to why he is without a club? Perhaps he is on too high wages for a championship club and is deemed too big a risk for a prem club? Who knows...

He doesn't have a contract currently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here