Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Joelinton to Newcastle.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I don't think it works like that. Yes Newcastle needed a striker or two, but it's not like there were only a couple in the world available. There are dozens, so any club wanting to get a decent (but fair) price for their striker would need to be realistic if they wanted to sell.

It becomes different when it's a top club looking for a world class player, as there are fewer available.

I know that there isn't exactly a limit to the number of strikers available, but there's also supply and demand; if they are aware that they desperately need a striker it wouldn't surprise me that the selling club would whack a few extra mill on top of their asking price. It's like when clubs try to buy young English players, they end up paying more than they probably would for the equivalent for a foreign player.

I'm not suggesting I agree with it, more just another instance of how the money in football is eroding the game.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
But that isn't the name of the game, because achieving that gets you SACKED. We've said, quite clearly that achieving what you've said is unacceptable, and even with the kudos CH had in the bank, you're down the road if that's all you can achieve.

Yet everything about our recruitment backs up what you've said.

I just can't quite square transfer policy and sacking Hughton, in terms of our ambitions. There must be a striker, and midfielder and a full back on their way in, but I just can't see it.

#Confused

Confused why transfer policy continues to be discussed and the verdict passed as if all transfers were completed by June 22 when its clearly transfers completed, and the success of them, by August 8th and far beyond (ie: May 2020 really) that matters. So as yet. verdict is premature.
And clearly player/transfer strategy is - invest in development squad and people (Ashworth) and probably make profits to reinvest, find 1-2 first team squad/young stars, use overseas commodity player trading as opportunity to reinvest, spend relatively high sums each window but sustainable so bottom 6 wages/fees, be prepared for a competitive squad if worst happens - so ultimately seek value in value leagues in hope it comes good, have 2 quality players for every position in squad/fill gaps, fend off bids for all valuable players, long contracts for your MVPs.
Has this strategy changed this window - Not that i can see ? Has fact business not finished by July 24th mean anything ? - Almost certainly not.
Is it different with Potter - he'll want different players for different positions but the strategy seems unchanged.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
But surely Ashley has made Newcastle into a mid table team, (not merely done the bare minimum) as evidenced by their last 2 league finishes. 10th and 13th. 44 and 45 points.

Oh yes, sorry I forgot, this was solely due to the genius of Benitez heroically managing to get a cobbled together team of journeymen into a mid table team

Totally agree with this.

Benitez has the press eating out of his hand - he even managed to put a positive spin on clearing off to a MIckey Mouse outfit in China for the money. Ashley doesn't talk to the press (he doesn't give a toss about them) hence all we ever read is what a terrible owner Ashley is and what an amazing manager Benitez could be if only Asley gave him everything he wanted.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
But that isn't the name of the game, because achieving that gets you SACKED. We've said, quite clearly that achieving what you've said is unacceptable, and even with the kudos CH had in the bank, you're down the road if that's all you can achieve.

Yet everything about our recruitment backs up what you've said.

I just can't quite square transfer policy and sacking Hughton, in terms of our ambitions. There must be a striker, and midfielder and a full back on their way in, but I just can't see it.

#Confused

I doubt Hughton was sacked for finishing 17th. There were probably a bunch of issues, but the most important was almost certainly the trajectory we were on, and high likelihood that we’d be relegated this season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I know that there isn't exactly a limit to the number of strikers available, but there's also supply and demand; if they are aware that they desperately need a striker it wouldn't surprise me that the selling club would whack a few extra mill on top of their asking price. It's like when clubs try to buy young English players, they end up paying more than they probably would for the equivalent for a foreign player.
Your comparison is different. All PL clubs need their share of home grown players, and there is a limited market, so they're all a bit more expensive. For a standard striker, a selling club may want to add a few extra million on top, but then they risk the buyer simply going elsewhere, so they don't get the sale at all. Towards the end of the window it makes sense, as Newcastle could get desperate if they haven't bought, but right now there's just no need for them to pay the inflated price, if no other buyer is willing to do the same.

I'm not suggesting I agree with it, more just another instance of how the money in football is eroding the game.[/QUOTE]

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Your comparison is different. All PL clubs need their share of home grown players, and there is a limited market, so they're all a bit more expensive. For a standard striker, a selling club may want to add a few extra million on top, but then they risk the buyer simply going elsewhere, so they don't get the sale at all. Towards the end of the window it makes sense, as Newcastle could get desperate if they haven't bought, but right now there's just no need for them to pay the inflated price, if no other buyer is willing to do the same.

I'm not suggesting I agree with it, more just another instance of how the money in football is eroding the game.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that does make sense.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Palace have an interesting approach, they spend relatively high sums on player recruitment and wages, and this has achieved the aim of Premier League existence. It has resulted in losses being made, which have been covered by the new owners and some lucrative player sales

View attachment 113335
View attachment 113336View attachment 113337
View attachment 113338
View attachment 113339
View attachment 113340View attachment 113342

Wow. Two consecutive years of player costs exceeding income.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I doubt Hughton was sacked for finishing 17th. There were probably a bunch of issues, but the most important was almost certainly the trajectory we were on, and high likelihood that we’d be relegated this season.

Agreed. Add in a deep-seated conservatism, which meant that fans were turning against the playing style (when not delivering the results it did in the first season in a half in the PL, on top of the previous two years of the Championship) and his reluctance to give youngsters a turn when TB has invested heavily here.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Totally agree with this.

Benitez has the press eating out of his hand - he even managed to put a positive spin on clearing off to a MIckey Mouse outfit in China for the money. Ashley doesn't talk to the press (he doesn't give a toss about them) hence all we ever read is what a terrible owner Ashley is and what an amazing manager Benitez could be if only Asley gave him everything he wanted.

We have Geordie mates - they hated Ashley long before Rafa had any connection with their club. As did/do a long list of former players. Away from NUFC you’ve only got to see mention of Ashley’s name and Sports Direct, and you see a binfest, in the same manner as you would of Philip Green.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
We have Geordie mates - they hated Ashley long before Rafa had any connection with their club. As did/do a long list of former players. Away from NUFC you’ve only got to see mention of Ashley’s name and Sports Direct, and you see a binfest, in the same manner as you would of Philip Green.

Ok, but he got Benitez in didn’t he? And offered £6m a year to stay only for Benitez to clear off to China for more money....

Your comparison with Green is wrong and a lot to do with Ashley’s relationship (or lack of it) with the press. Sure Ashley adopts some aggressive business practices but he also saved a fair chunk of jobs buying busted businesses. Arcadia has just undergone a CVA and is losing money hand over fist.

Green’s crimes are far worse and the fact you compare the two emphasises my point that this is more to do with how it’s reported in the press.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ok, but he got Benitez in didn’t he? And offered £6m a year to stay only for Benitez to clear off to China for more money....

Your comparison with Green is wrong and a lot to do with Ashley’s relationship (or lack of it) with the press. Sure Ashley adopts some aggressive business practices but he also saved a fair chunk of jobs buying busted businesses. Arcadia has just undergone a CVA and is losing money hand over fist.

Green’s crimes are far worse and the fact you compare the two emphasises my point that this is more to do with how it’s reported in the press.

I like Rafa and don’t mind Ashley. I respect entreprenneurs. I realise that flys in the face of this binary world we live in (not a dig at you).

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The impression I get is that the the antagonism started because they don't want Southerners in charge of their club. An oil Sheikh or Oligarch would be fine.

Ashley and Charnley's bad PR then made it easy for Newcastle fans to jump on the narrative that Benitez is doing it in spite of Ashley not because of him. Looking at the teams they put out over the last year or two, they're not bad players. It's a lower to mid Premier side. That's where Rafa got them. That's where I think Steve Bruce will get them as well.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
40 million for a 22 year old striker who’s never scored more than 8 in a season. Big fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not looking the best bit of splurging so far. Early days though. Can't be easy for a young lad in a new country playing for Steve Bruce.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
All power and pace, unplayable on his day. Looked menacing yesterday against Wolverhampton without it ever coming off for him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here