[Film] The 100 best films of the 21st century - The Guardian

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Four classic Brazilian films not on that list:

City of God
City of Men
Elite Squad
Elite Squad II

And yet they put shit like Ted and Gravity on it. Are you sure this is a Guardian article!?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
There's several which I would've included in the top 100 since 2000 that aren't in that list.

Downfall
Gangs of New York
Black Hawk Down
War of the Worlds (not an obvious one perhaps, but I watched this again the other night and had forgotten how good it is)

My mouse pointer was hovered over the Thumbs Up button until I saw War of the Worlds.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
City of God

And yet they put shit like Ted and Gravity on it. Are you sure this is a Guardian article!?

Only seen City of God out of those Brazilian films but agree it shits all over cack like Gravity.

Baffled that made the cut.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My mouse pointer was hovered over the Thumbs Up button until I saw War of the Worlds.

Yeah I knew that one would jar. But if Paddington and Ted can get in, then there's clearly room for some dodgy ones. I just really enjoyed this one. The constant feeling of impending doom is palpable, and some of the set pieces, particularly at the start, are spectacularly done. Some startling imagery as well, with the burning passenger train barrelling past, the plane crash wreckage, and the terror of that ferry sequence.

I love an apocalyptic movie, me. Which has also reminded me of Apocalypto, another one I'd have included. Even if it does sound like an ice lolly.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I very much like that not only is team america in there, it's in the top ten.

I very, very much dislike the fact that the utter imbeciles have forgotten to put Battle Royal at number one. Or anywhere in the list. The dimwits.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Doesn't mean they're good films though. Personally I'm sick to the back teeth of superhero films, they bore the shit out of me.

My point isn't that they are all good films, but some of them are. First Avenger film, 1st Guardians and the IronMan franchise were all decent i thought. Seems slightly snobby not to include any of them.. For the record... There will be blood and the tree of life bored the Sh1t out of me yet they still made the list... horses for courses, i just think it seems some stables are under represented.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My point isn't that they are all good films, but some of them are. First Avenger film, 1st Guardians and the IronMan franchise were all decent i thought. Seems slightly snobby not to include any of them.. For the record... There will be blood and the tree of life bored the Sh1t out of me yet they still made the list... horses for courses, i just think it seems some stables are under represented.

I guess there are certain genre's which will always be popular to the masses, but are not the type to receive critical acclaim. That top 100 is packed to the rafters with obscure films I'd never heard of, lots of arthouse types that would doubtless bore me senseless as well. I expect they're raving about the cinematography and all that, but if it hasn't got an engaging plot, and plods on at a pace that would put Murray to shame, then I'm always going to struggle.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah I knew that one would jar. But if Paddington and Ted can get in, then there's clearly room for some dodgy ones. I just really enjoyed this one. The constant feeling of impending doom is palpable, and some of the set pieces, particularly at the start, are spectacularly done. Some startling imagery as well, with the burning passenger train barrelling past, the plane crash wreckage, and the terror of that ferry sequence.

I love an apocalyptic movie, me. Which has also reminded me of Apocalypto, another one I'd have included. Even if it does sound like an ice lolly.

Paddington 2 shouldn't be completely dismissed, out of hand, t'is a bloody good film, as it The Shaun The Sheep Movie.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There's several which I would've included in the top 100 since 2000 that aren't in that list.

Downfall
Gangs of New York
Black Hawk Down
War of the Worlds (not an obvious one perhaps, but I watched this again the other night and had forgotten how good it is)

Downfall and Black Hawk Down are brilliant, mesmerising movies.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Not 1 Marvel film in the list, and they have basically owned the 21st century from a box office perspective.

Glad to see it. Totally saturated market, as someone who does not really like them it is annoying to look at cinema listings and see yet another one , two, three or more every month.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Glad to see it. Totally saturated market, as someone who does not really like them it is annoying to look at cinema listings and see yet another one , two, three or more every month.

Hmmmmm.

That has more than a hint of 'all cyclists ride through red lights' about it!! :lol:

FWIW, absolutely nothing (say it again), being the father of teenagers I've spent a long time in the Marvel Universe, and despite not being target audience I think their strike rate is pretty good.

I'll go so far as to say when it's good, Deadpool, Thor (esp Ragnarok) and Spiderman it's very good.
I'd happily place those into the Top 100.

This list hasn't been able to back up having 'No Country For Old Men' in the mid 80's.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Downfall and Black Hawk Down are brilliant, mesmerising movies.

BHD is from the same stable as Lone Survivor, American Sniper and The Hurt Locker, decent enough action films with an excess of tub thumping American jingoistic nonsense against the barbaric infidel, be he Somali, Iraqi, Pakistani etc. It’s amazing that amongst all those American soldiers in that film there was just one black face, not to mention terrible acting turns from Trainspotting pals Ewan McGregor & Ewen Bremner, plus an an equally crap turn from Orlando Bloom. Apart from that all good.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Hmmmmm.

That has more than a hint of 'all cyclists ride through red lights' about it!! :lol:

FWIW, absolutely nothing (say it again), being the father of teenagers I've spent a long time in the Marvel Universe, and despite not being target audience I think their strike rate is pretty good.

I'll go so far as to say when it's good, Deadpool, Thor (esp Ragnarok) and Spiderman it's very good.
I'd happily place those into the Top 100.

This list hasn't been able to back up having 'No Country For Old Men' in the mid 80's.

It is a fair point but I would not be surprised if the compiler of the list is as sick to death of them as many others are.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Personal favourites I’d include:

Darkest Hour - a special movie with an amazing performance by Gary Oldman.
Batman Begins - I’m not particularly into superhero movies, but love this.
Munich
The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo - Daniel Craig version
The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo - the Swedish original
Control
American Sniper
The Imitation Game
Road To Perdition

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Four classic Brazilian films not on that list:

City of God
City of Men
Elite Squad
Elite Squad II

Yeah Elite Squad is a wicked film

No Sin Nombre either, which is a shame I think.

Gladiator should be much higher. Spectacular film.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In the same way that there are no Michelin starred McDonalds...
It's quite different, as McDonalds meals are considerably cheaper than food at a Michelin star restaurant, whereas it's just as expensive to watch a Marvel film (or any other popular film) as it is to watch the 'different' films they're championing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here