Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Cyclist Scumbag

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've stopped confronting cyclists when they run red lights. It's not worth the abuse.

Usual turn of events -
*Cyclist runs red light*
ME: OI! Red lights are for you too mate!
Cyclist: AH F**K OFF YOU F**KING PRICK!

Like, dude, you nearly hit me, not the other way around.

They seem to be very angry people. Of course I'm generalising.

Do you shout at cars too?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Do you shout at cars too?

If they run a red light and nearly run me down, yes.

But I can count on 1 hand with fingers to spare how many times that's happened.

I need additional hands to count how many times so f**kwit on a bike has nearly bowled me over.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I've stopped confronting cyclists when they run red lights. It's not worth the abuse.

Usual turn of events -
*Cyclist runs red light*
ME: OI! Red lights are for you too mate!
Cyclist: AH F**K OFF YOU F**KING PRICK!

Like, dude, you nearly hit me, not the other way around.

They seem to be very angry people. Of course I'm generalising.

Just bear in mind that the going through red lights, and being rude, and being angry are probably linked and the cyclists who don't go through red lights (the majority) are probably not like that.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Just bear in mind that the going through red lights, and being rude, and being angry are probably linked and the cyclists who don't go through red lights (the majority) are probably not like that.

But it's so much simpler to lump them all in together. Fine, I'll try it your way.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I need additional hands to count how many times so f**kwit on a bike has nearly bowled me over.

I have to admit I find this a little hard to believe. I've been nearly killed by cars three times in the last week, whereas for bikes I would say about three times in my liftetime.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

You must be extremely unlucky then. I've ridden all over the country the last 30+ years, and have rarely seen other riders going through red lights while pedestrians are crossing....or been on the receiving end while Im a pedestrian. Im not saying it doesn't happen, but are you sure you're not exaggerating just a tad?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have to admit I find this a little hard to believe. I've been nearly killed by cars three times in the last week, whereas for bikes I would say about three times in my liftetime.

That's because you're riding the bike, you donut.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

I cycled in to work today, as I often do. Twice I had to emergency brake and take evasive action as a f**kwit in a car pulled out without seeing me.

To be fair the drivers acknowledged their error and twice in one commute is unusual, its normally only once.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I cycled in to work today, as I often do. Twice I had to emergency brake and take evasive action as a f**kwit in a car pulled out without seeing me.

To be fair the drivers acknowledged their error and twice in one commute is unusual, its normally only once.

And also to be fair I nearly took you out on Sunday :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
People of the bicycle you were doing so well, all morning.

The OP clearly wanted to have some 'fun' at our expense and now you're feeding him.

Scumbags walk on the pavement.
Scumbags ride bicycles
Scumbags drive cars.
Scumbags follow the Albion!

There are scumbags everywhere.

END OF THREAD.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

It usually happens around St. Peters Church. And Queens Road sometimes. But especially around St. Peters. It's a bit of a tarmac wonderland around there so could just be the amount of traffic lights to run is skewing my data. I dunno.

I did submit an FOI a few years back to Sussex Police asking for the number of fines handed out to cyclists running red lights and, for the entirety of 2016 (I think), they doled out one single fine. For the whole of Brighton.

Maybe I'm just a target :shrug:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
You must be extremely unlucky then. I've ridden all over the country the last 30+ years, and have rarely seen other riders going through red lights while pedestrians are crossing....or been on the receiving end while Im a pedestrian. Im not saying it doesn't happen, but are you sure you're not exaggerating just a tad?

Nope.

In their defence, sort of, it's mostly when the lights are about to change and they attempt to zip through before it changes.

So it could be a timing thing.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I suppose it depends on which lights. I walk through the Old Shoreham Road / Boundary Road / Hangleton Road lights 4 times a day, and I'm not exaggerating that I see a driver a) running a light and b) someone on their phone each time. That's at least 4 times in roughly just a 10min duration all told.

I can't say that I've ever been nearly bowled over by a cyclist. Perhaps I'm looking too carefully or not crossing on the right roads?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It usually happens around St. Peters Church. And Queens Road sometimes. But especially around St. Peters. It's a bit of a tarmac wonderland around there so could just be the amount of traffic lights to run is skewing my data. I dunno.

No hands up, that bit of road / cycle path / pedestrians is absolute cluster****. I've moaned about it countless times, but whoever came up with the traffic strategy all the way up form the Pier to Lewes Road must need their head testing. If you are traversing that bit regularly, then I take it back, you're likely not to be exaggerating.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
And also to be fair I nearly took you out on Sunday :lol:

:lolol:

Thought I was a dead man then, but seriously the first one today was a real heart in the mouth moment. We both came to an abrupt stop, they waved to say sorry, I didn't headbut them, I didn't even say anything, too shocked (seriously).

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
No hands up, that bit of road / cycle path / pedestrians is absolute cluster****. I've moaned about it countless times, but whoever came up with the traffic strategy all the way up form the Pier to Lewes Road must need their head testing. If you are traversing that bit regularly, then I take it back, you're likely not to be exaggerating.

Yeah it's my route to work unfortunately.

To be fair I'm hoping it'll get better when all the work they're doing is complete. I think it's being redesigned with cyclists and pedestrians in mind.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
I think he had every right to say something as the idiot ran a red light, I would've done the same. No excuse for that reaction from the rider though, whether he was sworn at or not. Totally out of order.

I wasn’t condoning the violence merely speculating on what made the cyclist turn around and come after the pedestrian.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here