Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I wish Brexit could be negotiated properly. Whatever we come up with here, the EU isn't going to move. That's one of the reasons I voted Leave in the first place. I certainly don't trust Labour or anyone else, as I feel their only goal is about remaining now. Let's see.
Of course the EU isn't going to move - they are looking after the integrity of their single market. How do you expect them to move? Genuine question.

The real problem isn't with the EU, it is the ridiculous red lines imposed by this absurd government. Labour are your best bet if you want Brexit implemented. The Tories have tried and failed, because their Brexit is far too extreme and is unplatable to a large majority of the country.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Lots of wishful thinking there.

In this Remain bubble of Brighton, Hove and its environ, we always forget that huge swathes of England and Wales are very anti immigration and the EU.

The Brexit people in those parts are often interviewed on TV or the radio (many yesterday for example). I assume that NSC Remainers turn the volume down until the interviews are over?

There's so much up in the air, who knows what will happen.

I'm not from Brighton, but you can't have everything in life!

I think Tories losing Scotland is very likely, a couple of seats in Wales without making gains is also very probable.

The Brexit party have said they'll field candidates in a GE against the Tories if they stand by the WA. Whether they actually will or not is another matter.

You're right of course that a lot is up in the air.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
I wish Brexit could be negotiated properly. Whatever we come up with here, the EU isn't going to move. That's one of the reasons I voted Leave in the first place. I certainly don't trust Labour or anyone else, as I feel their only goal is about remaining now. Let's see.

And I wish beer was cheaper. That's a fantasy too, like the idea that was sold in the referendum that we could simply walk away from the biggest trading bloc on the planet, pay in nothing, negotiate "the easiest deal in history" to ensure we keep all the benefits of the single market while ending the four freedoms that underpin it, then cheerfully plough our own furrow trade-wise irrespective of the fact that we have a land border with the EU which will be, after we leave, at least six times bigger than us economically.

As proposed in the ref, Leave was the biggest attempted piss take in all of human history. That's why it's impossible to negotiate *that* Brexit. The EU isn't refusing to move. They are refusing to let us royally take the piss.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Lots of wishful thinking there.

In this Remain bubble of Brighton, Hove and its environ, we always forget that huge swathes of England and Wales are very anti immigration and the EU.

The Brexit people in those parts are often interviewed on TV or the radio (many yesterday for example). I assume that NSC Remainers turn the volume down until the interviews are over?

There's so much up in the air, who knows what will happen.

The only news I watch/listen to is Channel 4 because the BBC only interview leavers in their vox pop.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I see I've already been beaten to it, but what does a 'proper negotiation' mean ?

We were never going to be able to get any benefits of being in the EU if we aren't going to stay in the customs union, follow the rules of it and pay our dues. You still don't seem to understand that this 'good deal' was a fantasy.

Unless you know what this deal is that you think we could have got by proper negotiation ?

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I am not a Labour supporter, but I will dispute their only goal is about remaining. Corbyn wants to get out of Europe as a much as he ever did, but wants to go out with a proper deal.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'd say that is the reason why he features in the top 10, but he was PM for 6 years and I don't think it's entirely fair to assume he was incompetent in all that time.

Maybe - he got gay marriage through.

But the referendum and the FTPA are such monumental screw-ups, they over-ride everything. And don't forget that he ballsed up the chance to redraw the constituency boundaries (giving the Tories an easy path) by reneging on a deal with the Lib Dems and made the recession deeper and longer than was necessary (as even Osborne admits now).

No, he still holds the honour as the worst PM in my lifetime - even worse than Eden. Maybe Lord North was worse but I wasn't around then :)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The real problem isn't with the EU, it is the ridiculous red lines imposed by this absurd government. Labour are your best bet if you want Brexit implemented. The Tories have tried and failed, because their Brexit is far too extreme and is unplatable to a large majority of the country.

the real problem is our MPs that are split about into 5 or 6 broad groups, who wont either back the WA, or revoke A50, or state a clear alternative route. the WA isnt extreme, just not agreeable to some hard brexiteers or a partisan opposition. a GE or extension leads us right back to the same basic problem, not enough numbers in parliament to move forward. Labour would need an outright majority to make a difference.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Ken Clarke "I Voted for Brexit 3 times".

He voted against no deal.

He also went on to say he will vote for the next brexit deal.

This wasnt about leave or remain and it doesn't suit leaves narrative to admit that.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Dear old Ken is hardly representative of the ignore the people remain alliance .... someone who is - Dominic Grieve voted against the Brexit deal 3 times and voted against no-deal.

Of course, it's about leave or remain but it doesn't suit remains narrative to admit that. The 'It's only about leaving with the right sort of deal ' line blah blah while conveniently never agreeing what that deal should be and then attempting to take no-deal off the table ... surprise surprise we can't/don't leave.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
the real problem is our MPs that are split about into 5 or 6 broad groups, who wont either back the WA, or revoke A50, or state a clear alternative route. the WA isnt extreme, just not agreeable to some hard brexiteers or a partisan opposition. a GE or extension leads us right back to the same basic problem, not enough numbers in parliament to move forward. Labour would need an outright majority to make a difference.

No they really wouldn't.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Dear old Ken is hardly representative of the ignore the people remain alliance .... someone who is - Dominic Grieve voted against the Brexit deal 3 times and voted against no-deal.

Of course, it's about leave or remain but it doesn't suit remains narrative to admit that. The 'It's only about leaving with the right sort of deal ' line blah blah while conveniently never agreeing what that deal should be and then attempting to take no-deal off the table ... surprise surprise we can't/don't leave.
That conclusion ignores the obvious fact that the Tory party have made a total mess of negotiations. They've had 3 years to negotiate a deal and utterly failed. The "No deal" option should never have even been considered, and we were told it would never come to that anyway. The fault for this mess entirely lies with the Tory party - piss poor negotiation and absurd piss taking red lines.

D

Deleted member 22389

Spot on.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Do you agree that the red lines drawn up by the Conservative Party limited the types of deal available to the EU?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No they really wouldn't.

how do you make this conclusion? without a majority they need support of one or more parties that are firmly remain. or you would bank on them campaigning on another referendum, with support from SNP/Liberals to deliver that? or Labour and some large cohort of Conservatives bring forth and vote through the WA?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here