Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Duffy and Dunk and of an era?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I find them interesting, that is why I read them. They are an independent view. That back three will ship goals, particularly given our style, so I reckon Duffy will get another chance.

Yes, I always read them and the markings for rugby internationals, but I don't always think we've been watching the same game.
Granted, I didn't watch the game yesterday, I only listened to the Radio Sussex commentary, so it is quite hard to be totally objective. Judging by what JC and WA were saying, I thought a five for Webster sounded a bit mean!
As I said earlier in this thread, if we accept that Dunk will be an ever present, notwithstanding injury or suspension, I reckon, Shane, Webbo and Big Dan will all see a fair amount of action this season.
Personally, I have more of a concern about the other end and hope we start to put away a few more chances.:thumbsup:

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Yes, I always read them and the markings for rugby internationals, but I don't always think we've been watching the same game.
Granted, I didn't watch the game yesterday, I only listened to the Radio Sussex commentary, so it is quite hard to be totally objective. Judging by what JC and WA were saying, I thought a five for Webster sounded a bit mean!
As I said earlier in this thread, if we accept that Dunk will be an ever present, notwithstanding injury or suspension, I reckon, Shane, Webbo and Big Dan will all see a fair amount of action this season.
Personally, I have more of a concern about the other end and hope we start to put away a few more chances.:thumbsup:

Yes I agree. I see the Argus gave them all 6 and considering it was City away Webster had a decent debut. As you say goal scoring is the big issue, we have not really even been testing the keeper.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The club and many of the fans no longer want to watch games where the defensive line starts at number 9. Give it time BG we are just at the start of something.

Nobody wants us to be defenders from no 9 but we have to be solid and not concede goals. With Burn we now seem less likely to concede from a set piece so that rules out much of Barnes and Woods play and all we need to do is tackle more to stop the opportunities that came City way yesterday. If it works with 3 at the back all well and good if not we will have to go back to a flat back 4..

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Nobody wants us to be defenders from no 9 but we have to be solid and not concede goals. With Burn we now seem less likely to concede from a set piece so that rules out much of Barnes and Woods play and all we need to do is tackle more to stop the opportunities that came City way yesterday. If it works with 3 at the back all well and good if not we will have to go back to a flat back 4..

For the length of time you’ve apparently watched football you are bloody clueless

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
The club and many of the fans no longer want to watch games where the defensive line starts at number 9. Give it time BG we are just at the start of something.

I agree, it's early days. To compare this year to last against the same opposition, last year we had 3 points scoring 1 goal conceding 5, this year we have 4 points scoring 4 goals conceding 7, already more points and a better goal difference. Our new style of play will make us more vulnerable to conceding but I think we will counter this by scoring more.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

You really don’t like three at the back do you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You really don’t like three at the back do you?

Yes I do if the 3 have the ability to play like that, but I do not believe that any of the 4 we have is good enough to play that way. They all have individual qualities but none collective for a back 3. Dunk appears to be undroppable and the other 3 are much of a muchness with different ability and good points. I am not sure what my 3 would be.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Yes I do if the 3 have the ability to play like that, but I do not believe that any of the 4 we have is good enough to play that way. They all have individual qualities but none collective for a back 3. Dunk appears to be undroppable and the other 3 are much of a muchness with different ability and good points. I am not sure what my 3 would be.

Once again---gobbledygook

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

We have looked solid and not conceded goals. This is a new formation the players are learning and with teams we can expect to compete with we've looked very very good at time. With 11 players on the pitch before yesterdays game we let in 1 goal against West Ham. We only had 10 men when Southampton got both their goals and that was a game we were clearly trying to win. Yesterday we came up against Man City, they are on a different planet to us, they will tear teams better than us apart this season. We took the game to them, we didn't sit back and let them have the ball, we had 47% possession, away from home against the best side in the country. Pep was full of praise of our side and the way we played, he said the difference was their strikers, who are world class, ours are not.

We simply cannot compete with the likes of Man City so to actually get praise from their manager for trying to compete should be taken as a massive positive. I'll value his opinion over yours every day of the week.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I agree, it's early days. To compare this year to last against the same opposition, last year we had 3 points scoring 1 goal conceding 5, this year we have 4 points scoring 4 goals conceding 7, already more points and a better goal difference. Our new style of play will make us more vulnerable to conceding but I think we will counter this by scoring more.

Also the last match we played last season was against MC after that performance this coming season filled me with dread! This time even after loosing you can see so much potential and room to develop!

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

Well I guess we’ll have to disagree. It’ll take 6-7 games for them to bed in and then I’ll think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. Four games to play a completely different style is too few.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

J do hope that you are right but we will need to up the rate of taking chances to do so.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Well I guess we’ll have to disagree. It’ll take 6-7 games for them to bed in and then I’ll think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. Four games to play a completely different style is too few.

At my age patience is not a virtue that I possess as nobody knows what the future holds. I do hope that you are also right as per arfer guinness

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For a number of reasons Im not a fan of Duffy. At blocking and headers he’s good but in the premier league you need more. He really struggles with teams with nippy mobile strikers often being wrong footed and often left literally on his arse. Most will agree he is lacking with his pace, distribution and with the ball at is feet. He also seems to be right at the centre of the drinking culture. Katie Price, WTF. He also drinks vodka with champagne. And that head scratching tick he has in interviews is annoying.

Google me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here