Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Paris trip

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
If you want a traditional dining experience, you should really have a meal at a Bouillon Brasserie!

I've always been a fan of Chartier - https://www.bouillon-chartier.com/en/ - Great food, unbelievably cheap (still only 1 Euro for Soup of the Day), and a beautiful belle epoch setting. You do have to queue to get in as there are no reservations but it is absolutely worth the wait.

I was going to post this, it is a must for me. The queues on Friday and Saturday nights are big but do keep moving. I went on a Sunday night, small queue and little wait. Be prepared to sit with strangers so they can fill tables. It is well worth it.

Although touristy, the hop on and off buses are worth it, you get to see everything and not overdo the walking.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For food I was recommended this place by [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION]

https://www.aspic-restaurant.fr/

It was lovely on every level and, imho, exceptional value for the standard it is.

The bar area of this place is nice http://www.la-mascotte-montmartre.com/en/ . Lovely location as well. We drank wine and ate shell fish in the bar. We also ate in the restaurant on another night and whilst basic, but good, it was very over priced.

We also stumbled across this place http://www.cavesbourdin.fr/?age-verified=96ad66f315. It’s a shop which also serves wine by the glass and simple dishes of cheese and charcuterie. If there’s no room out front there’s some tables at the back.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was going to recommend this. Even if churches are not your thing, the view from there is lovely. You also go through Montmartre to get there which is fascinating.

And stop off at one, or all three on my recommendations. ASPIC is a short walk from Montmartre but the other two are very much in the heart of the area.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh. And 2 tips

1) If you’re looking for ASPIC do not confuse it with the nearby ASICS shop on Google maps.
2) After a really nice meal with a decent amount of wine have coffee.....DO NOT have one of the two French DIPAs the waiter shows you. And under no circumstances then have the second.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Tour Montparnasse for a lovely night time view of the Paris skyline - including Eiffel lightshow.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Thanks very much everyone who has contributed so far, much appreciated, very helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I was going to recommend this. Even if churches are not your thing, the view from there is lovely. You also go through Montmartre to get there which is fascinating.

I was going to also say Montmartre and sacre cour, but don't get sucked into getting your portrait done.
We asked our hotel for a restaurant recommendation and whilst I can't remember the name of the restaurant it was in the Jewish quarter which was really interesting, very old and dimly lit with lots of lovely bars, restaurants and shops in a very old traditional style.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
And make sure that you visit the Pantheon. Originally built to praise Saint Genevieve after Louis XV recovered from "illness" it became a secular cathedral to the people of France after the revolution (paraphrasing 220 years of complicated history) and holds the remains of France's greatest citizens including Victor Hugo, Marie Curie, Voltaire and Louis Braille to name a few. It is a fantastic building in itself and well worth a poke around.

If you are interested in history (and it is a nice day) Pere Lachaise is also fantastic.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
sacre coeur is beautiful ,if you go in the evening you can get on one in pigallion and or moulin rouge ....there is a large turkish restaurant in montparnasse which is out of this world also a cuban restaurant in the latin quarter which appears to never close .....the name eludes me as I've only been there once and left at 7a.m......in a dustbin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here