Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Water canons are the answer

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
so who is up for no more air travel as Miss Thunberg proposes? and replacing all gas fired heating in homes, no more petrol/diesel, required in the next ~5 years to meet the objectives of Extinction Rebellion.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What is pathetic is people shooting down those who are trying to raise awareness of the issue. She's 17, so what, she probably speaks more sense because she's in a position to look at it impartially, whereas the people in charge are more concerned about how their backhanders will be affected.

This.

I guess she is scaring people with her rational thought.

Good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
so who is up for no more air travel as Miss Thunberg proposes? and replacing all gas fired heating in homes, no more petrol/diesel, required in the next ~5 years to meet the objectives of Extinction Rebellion.

They have stated their aims are deliberately excessive to highlight the urgency.

Either way, the things they suggest need to happen. But the things they suggest will never happen. As I’ve said before, the planet is irreversibly broken. It’s not going back.

Unfortunately the Beorthelm’s and Goldstone’s of this world far outweigh the intelligent, forward thinking ones. A great shame.

Last edited:

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
And now we have politicians listening to a teenage Norwegian girl telling us what she thinks needs to be done. She's 17 for chrissake. A bloody teenager. Why the hell should anyone listen to her? She should be hauled back to school. If she really wants to address the problem, then she should go and lecture the countries which are the real problems, China, India, the USA and Germany. Pathetic.

I thought she spoke a lot of sense. Which parts of her pitch did you disagree with and why?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
And now we have politicians listening to a teenage Norwegian girl telling us what she thinks needs to be done. She's 17 for chrissake. A bloody teenager. Why the hell should anyone listen to her? She should be hauled back to school. If she really wants to address the problem, then she should go and lecture the countries which are the real problems, China, India, the USA and Germany. Pathetic.

Because a) her generation is the one that all this stuff is going to effect, and b) because your generation has done a ****ing appalling job of things, so why on earth should anyone listen to you?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Because a) her generation is the one that all this stuff is going to effect, and b) because your generation has done a ****ing appalling job of things, so why on earth should anyone listen to you?

If you want to remind yourself exactly why nobody should listen to Goldstone, re-read his OP. The bloke’s a silly old moron.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Unfortunately the Beorthelm’s and Goldstone’s of this world far outweigh the intelligent, forward thinking ones. A great shame.

why resort to personal insults, when i have been addressing head on the reality of the situation, what is being asked to achieve the objectives?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Would be more impressed if they took this kind of action in the countries contributing most to the causes of global warming: China, US, India, Russia...

And this is why the planet is doomed.

It matters not what we do in UK and, indeed, Europe. The US has a President that doesn't believe in science at all, moron that he is, and the largest polluters China and India are too selfish and greedy to reduce their reliance on fossil fuels.

Can't recall who recently said "We are the first generation to recognise that we are destroying the planet. And probably the last generation that can do anything about it". But we aren't. Is it too late? Hopefully not.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
why resort to personal insults, when i have been addressing head on the reality of the situation, what is being asked to achieve the objectives?

I wasn’t insulting you. I was describing you.

You were clearly trying to ridicule the student so you don’t have the right to act all hurt when you get called out on it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

It matters not what we do in UK and, indeed, Europe. The US has a President that doesn't believe in science at all, moron that he is, and the largest polluters China and India are too selfish and greedy to reduce their reliance on fossil fuels.

Can't recall who recently said "We are the first generation to recognise that we are destroying the planet. And probably the last generation that can do anything about it". But we aren't. Is it too late? Hopefully not.

Its too late politically and economically. We don’t have enough time to rid the planet of the greedy, self serving politicians and corporations AND install new technology to not only replace a fossil fuel driven society but to also reverse the damage we have done AND change the average person’s attitude.

It’s also not enough to merely stop what we are doing, we also have to pro-actively reverse damage.

Logic dictates we have simply not got enough time to save the human race. We are done.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

We started the industrial revolution and should be leading the green one, instead we've been paralysed with an internal tantrum for the last 3 years. Thunberg is aiming high, you have to, time is almost up..

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I wasn’t insulting you. I was describing you.

You were clearly trying to ridicule the student so you don’t have the right to act all hurt when you get called out on it.

where is the ridicule? Thunberg proposes end to air travel except in emergency, Extinction Rebellion demand zero carbon emissions by 2025. are these not facts? i note the practical consequence and ask who is willing to sign up to these. clearly you arent, for your pontificating seem resigned to do nothing as its too late.

we dont need to convince politicans, most are sold on "doing something", we need to sell to the general public what that means, so they acquiesce to the future without many things we expect in modern life.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
where is the ridicule? Thunberg proposes end to air travel except in emergency, Extinction Rebellion demand zero carbon emissions by 2025. are these not facts? i note the practical consequence and ask who is willing to sign up to these. clearly you arent, for your pontificating seem resigned to do nothing as its too late.

we dont need to convince politicans, most are sold on "doing something", we need to sell to the general public what that means, so they acquiesce to the future without many things we expect in modern life.

Yeah, righto.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
We aren't playing particularly well, but I'm not convinced that this would help.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I thought she spoke a lot of sense. Which parts of her pitch did you disagree with and why?

Just read her speech. Basically spouting the same old stuff. Nothing new there. Sure we could do with lowering emissions, but it is not the catastrophe she describes. And the places to start her haranguing are China, India and the USA. Whatever the UK does will make not one jot of difference unless those countries follow suit. And will they? No. And the biggest problem, which she conveniently chooses to ignore. is population growth. If that is brought down to zero we'll be OK.

I just can't stand the idea of some uppity teenager believing she can tell the world how to fix this imagined problem. And worse still I can't understand why the world listens to her.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I never said don’t do anything. Let’s do all we can, let’s try and fix it. Who knows, maybe something will change. If not let’s make it as clean an eco friendly as we absolutely can. I’d rather go out trying.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Just read her speech. Basically spouting the same old stuff. Nothing new there. Sure we could do with lowering emissions, but it is not the catastrophe she describes. And the places to start her haranguing are China, India and the USA. Whatever the UK does will make not one jot of difference unless those countries follow suit. And will they? No. And the biggest problem, which she conveniently chooses to ignore. is population growth. If that is brought down to zero we'll be OK.

I just can't stand the idea of some uppity teenager believing she can tell the world how to fix this imagined problem. And worse still I can't understand why the world listens to her.

“Imagined problem”?

You are the problem. Teenagers are gonna be the problem solvers.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here