Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Here's a bit of a challenge...…...that won't get many takers, but might be of interest. In Runners World there was an interview with a 'celebrity' runner - he's actually not much of a celeb (ex 'Steps' member) and not really much of a runner. In his interview his said he was into a cross fit routine known as 'The Murph' - named after an Navy SEAL who died in action. The is big in thecross-fit community in the US of A and is typically completed on Remembrance Day.

The Murph requires you do complete: a 1 mile run, followed by 300 squats (with no weight), 200 press-ups and 100 pull-ups - topped off with another 1 mile run. Typically you'd do 20 rounds of 15 squats/10 press-ups/ 5 pull-ups.

If this sounds hard, then I'll add that the real nutters do this all in a 20lb weighted vest.

I had a go - without the weighted vest - and did it in 42.53. I have a strong suspicion that I'll be not only top of the NSC Runners' 'Murph' League Table but its only occupant!

Part of the motivation was the frustration yet another 5k in around 22.30 last night (Worthing Rowing Club).

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Anxiety levels are ramping up for Sunday now. Seems so long ago I did those 2 20 milers in training.

Haven’t run a marathon since 2015 and my training times are way down on what I was getting then. I would quite like to just enjoy the day and not worry about the time but I fear my competitive nature might take over.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Anxiety levels are ramping up for Sunday now. Seems so long ago I did those 2 20 milers in training.

Haven’t run a marathon since 2015 and my training times are way down on what I was getting then. I would quite like to just enjoy the day and not worry about the time but I fear my competitive nature might take over.

Taper madness.......you’ll be fine (as long as you DON’T allow your competitive nature to take over and set off too fast [emoji23][emoji23])

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Set off between [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] and myself then decide what to do after a couple of hours. I'm starting on a clockwork 9:00 mile pace and hoping the clock won't need winding up at 20 miles.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
My head has totally gone now to be perfectly honest. I've got no idea what pace I'm going to be able to run and no idea whether I can get the distance done. It's CLASSIC maranoia and I'm going to be ignoring it entirely until kick off on sunday. It'll all be fine once the race begins and then at the key split points. I'm even concerned about my watch lasting the whole distance. :facepalm:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
My head has totally gone now to be perfectly honest. I've got no idea what pace I'm going to be able to run and no idea whether I can get the distance done. It's CLASSIC maranoia and I'm going to be ignoring it entirely until kick off on sunday. It'll all be fine once the race begins and then at the key split points. I'm even concerned about my watch lasting the whole distance. :facepalm:

Presuming you wake up, and before you ignore it, what is your target race time?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I wish I was joining you lot. I’ve got similar issues.......I have to get my early (first 3-4 hours) pacing right, otherwise I’ll be facing a miserable 8 hour death march (or early bath). The problem is that a track more than anything encourages faster running and it’s also so easy to get caught up in someone else’s plan. I’ve got to try to stick to my training efforts of roughly 3 laps run/1 lap walk from the start and around 10 min miles - but walking 8 minutes after starting just feels wrong, so I’ll probably bash out a 4 hour marathon then walk the rest [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Presuming you wake up, and before you ignore it, what is your target race time?

9:45am start is wonderfully generous! I want to be toward the start of my assigned pen but I'm also contemplating telling a whopper about my expected race time and going off in one of the latest pens to get a nice late start and a potentially clean run through the field. I also quite like the idea of having a yellow bib and getting a bit more leeway with the start time. It's Chip time that matters, afterall!

I'm currently thinking that 3:10 should be the target, my achilles is starting to give feedback and I feel like I should be a bit more conservative than usual. Realistically, I should be targeting a super quick marathon time after a much longer period of training, [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] was saying about his training plan which has gone on for a lot longer than the 9 weeks I've effectively been training for which started with a period of rapid weight loss to get into something like racing condition.

I'll be delighted with 3:10, which would be a massively improvement on my current 3:29 benchmark. I'm not done with marathon racing this year, whatever happens, and I'll be targeting Bournemouth in October for the sub-3! :thumbsup: That being said, if I'm moving well on sunday and it's within reasonable reach at halfway...

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Here's a bit of a challenge...…...that won't get many takers, but might be of interest. In Runners World there was an interview with a 'celebrity' runner - he's actually not much of a celeb (ex 'Steps' member) and not really much of a runner. In his interview his said he was into a cross fit routine known as 'The Murph' - named after an Navy SEAL who died in action. The is big in thecross-fit community in the US of A and is typically completed on Remembrance Day.

The Murph requires you do complete: a 1 mile run, followed by 300 squats (with no weight), 200 press-ups and 100 pull-ups - topped off with another 1 mile run. Typically you'd do 20 rounds of 15 squats/10 press-ups/ 5 pull-ups.

If this sounds hard, then I'll add that the real nutters do this all in a 20lb weighted vest.

I had a go - without the weighted vest - and did it in 42.53. I have a strong suspicion that I'll be not only top of the NSC Runners' 'Murph' League Table but its only occupant!

Part of the motivation was the frustration yet another 5k in around 22.30 last night (Worthing Rowing Club).

One of the main reasons I run is because I enjoy it. I would not enjoy this, so I'M OUT.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I've done it! A mate of mine set up a crossfit business a few years ago that I used to go along to and one week this was the WOD (Workout Of the Day). Can't remember what time I did it in, but I actually enjoyed it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
With the vest? If so...…..:bowdown:

Vestless, I'm afraid. It was hard enough without! Having said that, I'd probably give it a shot. Another session we did involved doing a load of exercises during the hour, all the time running around and carrying a 20kg (I think) weight :lol:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Good luck to all the marathon runners Sunday. I’ll be taking the easier option of everyone’s favourite race type. A flat seafront 10k!

I’ll be heading straight for St James’s street after for my first glimpse of everyone then onto Hove on New Church Road ending with the Drive Beach Huts.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Looking forward to seeing the scores on the doors. So far I've seen that Mr Blobby ran a good time, but not sure what that time was.

In contrast the only other result I know was a friend who wasn't 100% so she had to pull up at half way...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Looking forward to seeing the scores on the doors. So far I've seen that Mr Blobby ran a good time, but not sure what that time was.

In contrast the only other result I know was a friend who wasn't 100% so she had to pull up at half way...

Checked a few on the app........some mixed results based on targets.

Son of a running pal from Haywards Heath came second in 2.18.......5.20 min miling FFS [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Whilst we’re waiting for the scores on the Brighton doors, the 12 hour thing was a failure sadly. Was going really well for the first 3.5 hours or so, then started to get a niggle in my left hip flexor - hurt to run but not walk, so plugged on until the 4 hour turnaround hoping the change of direction would help. It didn’t really, so plodded on for a bit but was unable to run much at all after that so called it a day at 6 hours. Could have carried on walking but I didn’t enter the event to walk half of it - definitely some mental weakness there too. It was incredibly cold, and walking meant that I was just getting colder and colder - when I finished (2am) I was wearing 6 top layers, 2 pairs of gloves and a wooly hat but sat in the car for 20 mins shivering uncontrollably.

It’s not too bad this morning, just tight, but need to wait to see what happens when I try to run

https://strava.app.link/Fn83RCoISV

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Whilst we’re waiting for the scores on the Brighton doors, the 12 hour thing was a failure sadly. Was going really well for the first 3.5 hours or so, then started to get a niggle in my left hip flexor - hurt to run but not walk, so plugged on until the 4 hour turnaround hoping the change of direction would help. It didn’t really, so plodded on for a bit but was unable to run much at all after that so called it a day at 6 hours. Could have carried on walking but I didn’t enter the event to walk half of it - definitely some mental weakness there too. It was incredibly cold, and walking meant that I was just getting colder and colder - when I finished (2am) I was wearing 6 top layers, 2 pairs of gloves and a wooly hat but sat in the car for 20 mins shivering uncontrollably.

It’s not too bad this morning, just tight, but need to wait to see what happens when I try to run

https://strava.app.link/Fn83RCoISV
As I said on your FB post - far from a failure. Chin up - onto the next one...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here