Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2019

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I went to a screening of Us last night. Jordan Peele's 2nd movie he's directed. Really good horror (if that's your thing) I went into it without knowing anything about it and was really entertained. Worth a watch.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I went to a screening of Us last night. Jordan Peele's 2nd movie he's directed. Really good horror (if that's your thing) I went into it without knowing anything about it and was really entertained. Worth a watch.
That's good to know - am seeing it next week. Today took a chance on What Men Wants, and best I can say is that it wasn't too bad, particularly the second half. First half seemed laboured and very "You go, girl" sorta thing, second half better than the first. It's not an original concept but some fun can be had with it (hearing other's thoughts, with a view to trying to manipulate things to your advantage). I was struck though how much the lead's assistant in the film looked the spitting image of Jacob Rees-Mogg!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Watched Stan and Ollie last night.

The performances were spot on. Steve Coogan absolutely nails Stan Laurel's accent and little mannerisms, while John C Riley is almost as good as Oliver Hardy, under a slab of prosthetic chins. When you see them together particularly in some of the black and white scenes, they're very close to the real thing. Its not a rip-roaring chucklefest throughout, as it primarily focuses on the tail-end of their careers as they tour the UK trying to drum up funding for one more movie. But its a warm, sensitively filmed poignant and at times very funny portrait of the two men as they cope with their careers (and Ollie's health) winding down during the 50's - and I never knew they came to Worthing !

Really enjoyable. 84%.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Us
Eh. I was expecting a bit more from it. The hype raised my expectation. I think I was also slightly unsettled by the way the film was much bigger than home invasion horror the trailer made it out to be.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Has anyone seen White Crow yet? Thinking of going over the weekend

I went to it on Saturday afternoon, with the assistance of my Mubi membership free weekly ticket thang. The cinema had an audience of me, and 3 elderlies, which seems to be rather the way with me nowadays. I had a diet-Coke with me, a dark chocolate Bounty, and a large soya latte. I had a feeling that i might drop off, but with those i didn't. As a film it wasn't bad. Oleg Ivenko as Nureyev was quite a watch, for his dance performances, springing about with intensity, and his blase egotism showing magnetism if not likeability. Fiennes i found, surprisingly, to give a bad performance. I've not seen that before. His facial expressions seemed stupid to me, and ill-fitting. His directing was ok though. Some of the dialogue was unsubtle, but the drama unfolded with enough interest, along with some good musical accompaniment.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I went to it on Saturday afternoon, with the assistance of my Mubi membership free weekly ticket thang. The cinema had an audience of me, and 3 elderlies, which seems to be rather the way with me nowadays. I had a diet-Coke with me, a dark chocolate Bounty, and a large soya latte. I had a feeling that i might drop off, but with those i didn't. As a film it wasn't bad. Oleg Ivenko as Nureyev was quite a watch, for his dance performances, springing about with intensity, and his blase egotism showing magnetism if not likeability. Fiennes i found, surprisingly, to give a bad performance. I've not seen that before. His facial expressions seemed stupid to me, and ill-fitting. His directing was ok though. Some of the dialogue was unsubtle, but the drama unfolded with enough interest, along with some good musical accompaniment.

I went last night. The D of Ys was about a third full. I got there early as I enjoy watching the 'Look at me walking up and down, pretending I can't find my seat' entertainment. I had half a bottle of wine in a water bottle (yeah, classy I know).
Really enjoyed the film. Oleg Ivenko was impressive as Nureyev. Fiennes, I agree the facial expressions were awkward. I liked the way the story jumped about as well as the dancers. 7/10

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Slightly late review: Vice

Christian Bale chubs up to portray U.S most secretive leader, Dick Cheney.

American politics is not my usual go-to for entertainment, largely it depresses and bores me in equal measure. Vice however, is very good indeed. It charts the rise to power of eventual VP Dick Cheney.
It’s fascinating as he both crashes and manipulates his way through positions of power and positions of humiliation until he eventually, using reverse psychology to take advantage of a dimwitted George Bush Jr (played brilliantly but Rockwell) becomes VP to the war hungry president. Using the largely symbolic title of VP to garner unprecedented power and influence, never before possessed by someone in that role. Made even more surprising given his start to adult life. Getting kicked out of college for partying too hard and scrapes with the law, working as a county linesman before being forced to Buck his ideas up by his ruthless and ambitious young wife.

It’s not a straight story and there are some great little flourishes of film making scattered throughout.

I was expecting to be a little bored by this, I was very pleasantly surprised. It’s great.

7/10

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Shazam!
Just got back from a cineworld screening and rather enjoyed it. It probably won't be anyone's favourite superhero movie ever, but a fun couple of hours.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Saw "Us" yesterday and really enjoyed it. Quite different, and unexpected in places. Caused a fair amount of debate afterwards with my chum; one of those films where you do wonder "what happens next then?" Maybe there's scope for an #UsToo.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Fisherman's Friends. Great fun, decent story, very heartwarming. Recommended. 83 out of 100

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Fisherman's Friends. Great fun, decent story, very heartwarming. Recommended. 83 out of 100

I enjoyed this too. The only thing that irked me, being an avid listener of The Shipping Forecast was that they got Jeremy Vine to read the forecast on the background radio. Something he has never done and never would do as he is a radio 2 presenter and the SP is on Radio 4. I know, nerd!
Aside that I really enjoyed this film.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Saw Pet Sematary today - hadn't seen the original, or read the book, or indeed knew anything of the story other than the slightly spoilerific trailer. Not too bad; thought the young girl played her part very well. A number of decent "jumps" in the film, even if some bits of the story a bit hokey. Won't stay with me in the same way that Us did; with Us I came away with numerous questions, whereas with PS, I didn't.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Quite a contrast today from yesterday's cinematic experience - saw Shazam. Busy cinema for this. Not too bad - light hearted fluff, quite enjoyable but very little substance. As quite a Marvel fan, felt a little strange when the DC logo came on the screen.

Rewatching Doctor Strange this evening to get things back on track!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Dumbo

Despite some ridiculously harsh critical reviews from Kermode and Bradshaw we bloody well loved it. Classic Tim Burton and Danny Elfman music. I thought it was his best film since Edward Scissorhands

84 out of 100

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
One day Mr Burton is going to make a good film but this isn't it.Dumbo fails to be a kids film or one of those kids films that also please adults(Toy story).Its too long and while the two young leads are good the adult are terrible with the exception of Danny De VIto.Keaton and Farrell are just awful.Take my advice stick with the original.55/100.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
One day Mr Burton is going to make a good film but this isn't it.Dumbo fails to be a kids film or one of those kids films that also please adults(Toy story).Its too long and while the two young leads are good the adult are terrible with the exception of Danny De VIto.Keaton and Farrell are just awful.Take my advice stick with the original.55/100.

You can't have seen Edward Scissorhands then. Strange I thought if anything the kids were a bit wooden, Farrell was fine, Keaton was clearly playing an over the top pantomime villian, De Vito, Green and Arkin were good. For me Dumbo is not a kids film anyway, this one isn't for young kids. It is a film about bigotry and presecution, it is dark. I found the whole thing done with a great panache with a fantastic score from Danny Elfman.

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
You can't have seen Edward Scissorhands then. Strange I thought if anything the kids were a bit wooden, Farrell was fine, Keaton was clearly playing an over the top pantomime villian, De Vito, Green and Arkin were good. For me Dumbo is not a kids film anyway, this one isn't for young kids. It is a film about bigotry and presecution, it is dark. I found the whole thing done with a great panache with a fantastic score from Danny Elfman.

Yes I've seen Edward Scissorhands and it is clearly his best work.However I did see it recently on tv and time has not been kind to it.Interesting that you say Dumbo is not a childs film as when I saw it in a packed cinema I would estimate that over half the audience were under 10.The adults there were mums/dads/grandparents with the kids and interestingly the cinema was showing it only in the day/early evening with no performances starting later than 6.30pm.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Yes I've seen Edward Scissorhands and it is clearly his best work.However I did see it recently on tv and time has not been kind to it.Interesting that you say Dumbo is not a childs film as when I saw it in a packed cinema I would estimate that over half the audience were under 10.The adults there were mums/dads/grandparents with the kids and interestingly the cinema was showing it only in the day/early evening with no performances starting later than 6.30pm.

I take your point, it is marketed as such but it is dark and quite sad about a misfit. The end was moving. I liked it very much. I thought it was Burton back to his best, each to their own

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here