Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Schools 4 Climate Action - great turn out in Brighton

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
FFS - today wasn't a 'strike' ..... it was a bunk off. The kids didn't withdraw their labour. They just didn't bother turning up to school. And it was you that made the comparison to the miners ..... an issue you clearly know nothing about.

Good God, you know a thread has gone south when someone gets owned by a one line post by [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION]

Please carry on arguing over the semantics of strike or bunk off all you like because the whole point was to raise awareness of Climate Change, something you've contributed to very nicely by spending the last two hours keeping this thread top of the board. Why wasn't it on a Sunday - because disrupting the school day was to get maximum publicity.

That said, everyone seems to be ignoring a rational and accurate post from [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] stating that some kids were indeed protesting in their own time. PACA, for example had a inset day today. Now you'd have to be about as cynical as you and [MENTION=144]goldstone[/MENTION] to suggest that the reason they did that is because one of the number one things the Academy chain prides itself on (and indeed gets measured on) is its attendence record. PACA 1 Hove Park 0 when it comes to attendence - and yet there were PACA students there. I know because that's where my son and his mates go.

Is there anything that you feel really strongly about? Would you orgnaise a protest about it at 4am on a Sunday morning? Of course you wouldn't.

The whole concept was a walkout protest. Not a lot of point doing that on a non school day.

:thumbsup:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Good God, you know a thread has gone south when someone gets owned by a one line post by [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION]

Please carry on arguing over the semantics of strike or bunk off all you like because the whole point was to raise awareness of Climate Change, something you've contributed to very nicely by spending the last two hours keeping this thread top of the board. Why wasn't it on a Sunday - because disrupting the school day was to get maximum publicity.

That said, everyone seems to be ignoring a rational and accurate post from [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] stating that some kids were indeed protesting in their own time. PACA, for example had a inset day today. Now you'd have to be about as cynical as you and [MENTION=144]goldstone[/MENTION] to suggest that the reason they did that is because one of the number one things the Academy chain prides itself on (and indeed gets measured on) is its attendence record. PACA 1 Hove Park 0 when it comes to attendence - and yet there were PACA students there. I know because that's where my son and his mates go.

Is there anything that you feel really strongly about? Would you orgnaise a protest about it at 4am on a Sunday morning? Of course you wouldn't.

I think you rather destroy what you are trying to say, with the silly last paragraph -presumably you put in 4 am to lend some credence to your points?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
But he was not saying that; merely that a protest made outside of school would show a far more genuine commitment, if they were to turn up in their free time, but as we all know the numbers would then be drastically lower, which would tell its own story. It is hardly either or: you can be concerned about pupils missing school and about the environment -and I say that as an ex teacher. Perhaps you need to re-evaluate a few things.

Walking out of school shows commitment and it also gets attention which is exactly the point. It gets people talking about it. If it was a generic protest happening on a Saturday, would anyone actually take any notice? Probably not, but by walking out of schools in protest they’ve gained national media coverage. I think I’ve evaluated it quite well :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
If governments had not ignored the issue then we would not have a ****ed environment! It smacks of self interest and negligence.

Yet again the sweeping statement with nothing remotely factual. I don't doubt that more could and should have been done over many years after all the warnings of catastrophe, and I share your frustrations to an extent, but simply hitting out with all sorts of vague accusations does you no favours at all. Getting everyone to agree is always hellishly difficult, especially when people are being asked to give up an hitherto luxurious lifestyle and make sacrifices for another generation. Could you say that you have always walked rather than unnecessarily use your car?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is just pathetic really. The kids try and highlight an issue which, quite frankly, has been ignored by the people in power for ever and all they get is sneers from people. This really does highlight the vast chasm between the older generations and, well, reality.

ignored? theres really quite a lot of regulation and legislation, we have taxes and levies on domestic and business energy bills, carbon price floor, subsidied green energy, discounted vehicle excise duty for lower emissions. dont say its ignored, its more prominent in politics than education (aside from uni fees).

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Everyone I know recycles, composts, and upcycles. We've all passed on kids clothes and toys through groups of friends, all given each other or bought 2nd hand furniture, and I know most have gone to doing things like eating a lot less meat, or gone vegetarian altogether, got loads of friends who have turned to cycling to get around town etc. loads do camping in the summer.

Go up to Hove Park School kicking out time, and there are very few parents picking their kids up, I went up there today, and didn't see a single kid getting picked up.

Where are you getting your info. from to make such sweeping general claims?

p.s. I don't know anyone with a 4x4 either. :shrug:

Having a daughter in year 11 at Hove Park, the upper school I agree, there are few cars, go to the lower and the story is totally different. More so in the mornings.

Go to Blatc Mill at kicking out time and you will see what I mean, that's both exits, it's carnage. Cars everywhere.

And for the record, I did not let my Daughter go to the "protest" because I said if you want to protest, then do it on a Saturday or Sunday, not when your in school, because that is irresponsible.

And also for the record, 90% of the kids who left Hove Park in her year, used the protest as an excuse to go home.

I also guarantee that everyone you know does not 100% recycle.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Walking out of school shows commitment and it also gets attention which is exactly the point. It gets people talking about it. If it was a generic protest happening on a Saturday, would anyone actually take any notice? Probably not, but by walking out of schools in protest they’ve gained national media coverage. I think I’ve evaluated it quite well :thumbsup:

How many of those kids do you really think showed a genuine commitment to bettering the environment? Yes, of course it gets attention, and we know why, because it gets people talking as you suggest. We also know that action on a Saturday would get less attention, not because the issue is less important ( I am sure if thousands demonstrated, it would get media attention, as demos often do) but because the so-called eco warriors would not consider the issue important enough for them to give up their free time. The evaluation element was regarding your attempt to claim that leaving the classroom for a climate change demo is more worthwhile than a day in school, whereas it is not a question of either or at all. You can do both.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Oh come on. We have known about climate change for decades and done nothing but make small gestures.
As for living without a car, I would have to have lived with one first to know. You don't need a car in Brighton it is walkable and there are plenty of buses, so I have never had to get one.

Of course we have known about it, as I clearly stated, so why you write come on, as if I had not realised is rather silly. I hope that you are not using the anonymity of the internet to claim your walking credentials. . . .

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Its too little too late though. It is ignore at the level that males a difference. These things you mention are just gestures and not going to solve the problem. Maybe they would have if enacted in the 70s or 80s or before. But now we will need hardcore measures.

And tere in lies the problem .... you keep blaming previous generations without making any acceptance it's ALL generations that need to change their habits. I mentioned it before and you avoided the issue but the worst recyclers in this city are ? ....... students ! Who replaces their tech the most often ? ..... young professional people. You can't absolve your own generation of responsibilty.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Yes we knee but nothing was done! That is why people are angry!

You keep saying that nothing has been done; this is far too easy to just trot out these cliches. Anyone can do it. The irony is that I take recycling really seriously, and use the car as little as possible, certainly never to go the 2 miles into town, preferring to walk. Sadly, I am not sure that people in general are that angry -they may pay lip service to to the rallying call, but in my experience when you ask folk to give up on using their car for walkable journeys, most will take the lazy option.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
How many of those kids do you really think showed a genuine commitment to bettering the environment? Yes, of course it gets attention, and we know why, because it gets people talking as you suggest. We also know that action on a Saturday would get less attention, not because the issue is less important ( I am sure if thousands demonstrated, it would get media attention, as demos often do) but because the so-called eco warriors would not consider the issue important enough for them to give up their free time. The evaluation element was regarding your attempt to claim that leaving the classroom for a climate change demo is more worthwhile than a day in school, whereas it is not a question of either or at all. You can do both.

This. Remember the just say no campaign a generation ago...yeah, cause that worked too...and it got coverage on Blue Peter

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You keep saying that nothing has been done; this is far too easy to just trot out these cliches. Anyone can do it. The irony is that I take recycling really seriously, and use the car as little as possible, certainly never to go the 2 miles into town, preferring to walk. Sadly, I am not sure that people in general are that angry -they may pay lip service to to the rallying call, but in my experience when you ask folk to give up on using their car for walkable journeys, most will take the lazy option.

Precisely. I applaud your efforts but you’re in such a minority on a global scale as to make no difference what so ever sadly. Depressing eh?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
We have not even got to the point of being able to make changes yet! And then when some of them make a protest you all scoff at them and accuse them of bunking off.

I don't think that people scoff at them, as you put it, for the protest as such, but for the way it was done. Bribe them with a day off school, and they see their chance - it is human nature afterall. You know as well as I do how few would have been there on a saturday, so please don't make out how idealistic the kids are.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Climate Change or not, there has been a hell of a lot of hot air released on NSC today.
This must be the only football forum in which one would expect to see over twenty pages of snarling righteousness about a schoolchildren 'strike' re climate change.
Good old Brighton, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Having a daughter in year 11 at Hove Park, the upper school I agree, there are few cars, go to the lower and the story is totally different. More so in the mornings.

Go to Blatc Mill at kicking out time and you will see what I mean, that's both exits, it's carnage. Cars everywhere.

And for the record, I did not let my Daughter go to the "protest" because I said if you want to protest, then do it on a Saturday or Sunday, not when your in school, because that is irresponsible.

And also for the record, 90% of the kids who left Hove Park in her year, used the protest as an excuse to go home.

I also guarantee that everyone you know does not 100% recycle.

I’ve not made any issue of anyone’s decision to or not to protest. I’m no calling out those that did as being pampered 4x4 driven kids, and I’m not coming out with loads of stats 90% this or whatever. Kids bunking off to go home is no aspersion on the kids that protested either. Just because you made that decision, doesn’t make the kids that went wrong, pampered or otherwise, that’s your own outlook, not reality.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Precisely. I applaud your efforts but you’re in such a minority on a global scale as to make no difference what so ever sadly. Depressing eh?

Thanks, I was being totally honest and not hiding behind the anonymity of the internet to make myself look good. I do genuinely feel sad that few folk are really determined to have a go. I am not totally innocent; I will drive abroad and have flown on occasion and probably done a few other environmentally nasty things, as we all have. But in isolation, what can i do? To give a concrete example -we go camping a lot and and on the sites there are always marked bins for normal rubbish and recycling - it could not be easier. Yet it is literally an everyday sight to see bottles and cans mixed up with normal rubbish and not recycled.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here