Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Can anyone please explain what the difference is between elapsed time and moving time?
I had a 20 second faster moving time this morning.

I didn't stop physically and didn't stop the watch until I finished.

Is this normal? Should I count my moving time as the real time?

If you join the NSC strava group we can have a look and let you know. On my Garmin 35 it only happens if I stop or the watch is stopped.

D

Deleted member 2719

If you join the NSC strava group we can have a look and let you know. On my Garmin 35 it only happens if I stop or the watch is stopped.

Thanks but I am not really into competing nowadays only with myself, if I start competing against you hardened pros, it would be like self harming!!

So what time should you normally count?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks but I am not really into competing nowadays only with myself, if I start competing against you hardened pros, it would be like self harming!!

The moving time. I turned my watch of a couple of time on this run as the gates needed to be lifted clear of the stuck latch whilst I was standing in 6" of a slimy mixture of cow crap and mud. Didn't want that 50 seconds included. I'm running slow enough as it is.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2098036923

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares

I guess the answer is it depends. Elapsed time is like the clock time from a race and moving time is more like chip time. Most of us probably care about the chip/moving time, but if you're at the pointy end of the race (e.g. aiming for podium / top10) then elapsed/clock time is important.

However in your example it sounds like a glitch (if you never stopped or paused the watch), perhaps a couple of dodgy GPS readings , in which case I'd say elapsed time sounds more reasonable to use. There is usually a setting so that extremely slow movement counts as being stopped.

D

Deleted member 2719

The moving time. I turned my watch of a couple of time on this run as the gates needed to be lifted clear of the stuck latch whilst I was standing in 6" of a slimy mixture of cow crap and mud. Didn't want that 50 seconds included. I'm running slow enough as it is.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2098036923

Thanks, got it.

Well done for running anywhere near mud, I love a bit of mud but won't be risking injuries to my matured body!!

Just weird as I didn't stop at all, even though it was a clear day. Could it be I lost satellite for 20 secs???
Little things like this bug me!!

D

Deleted member 2719

I guess the answer is it depends. Elapsed time is like the clock time from a race and moving time is more like chip time. Most of us probably care about the chip/moving time, but if you're at the pointy end of the race (e.g. aiming for podium / top10) then elapsed/clock time is important.

However in your example it sounds like a glitch (if you never stopped or paused the watch), perhaps a couple of dodgy GPS readings , in which case I'd say elapsed time sounds more reasonable to use. There is usually a setting so that extremely slow movement counts as being stopped.

Ah, thanks for your explanation, this sounds very feasible maybe I was just to quick for the GPS .:whistle:

The annoying thing is the elapsed time EQUALLED my PB but the moving time smashed it.

With the extra hard work I put in this morning I was convinced I had smashed it!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Cheers mate.

Starting parkrun was a nightmare yesterday. I haven't worked out where to start from yet. Yesterday the 24 minute pacer was on the second row at the front right on the Topless Wonder's shoulder. Then he kind of waited for a group. I went from standstill to getting around him almost immediately and was doing 6,40 pace. Only I read it as 8.40 on the watch so pushed harder. It was when I couldn't breathe and was nearly throwing up I realised it was a 6 and not an 8 and changed down a gear :lolol:

The what now?

I've got into a bit of a streak and have run every day since Wednesday. Nothing major, but it all counts. Bumped into the start of the Darkstar lot just past the Shoreham Airport road and said hi to various runners – they all looked absolutely freezing! Then this morning's challenge was to keep chipping away at my Monday Morning Time Trial – another two seconds off! I'm down to 9:31 for 1.2 miles and doing my usual of off like a shot and then easing up massively at the end (I'm aiming for small improvements every week) and I'll be interested how low I can go.

On another matter, while clearing out some stuff, I found a printed out list of results from my first race – The Duck Pond Waddle in 2002. Couple of things: a) I thought it was a 10k but it was actually a 15k (1:28 was my time, from memory); b) I don't think I've run a 15k race since. Anyone else done a random(ish) race distance just once?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The Three Forts Challenge for me at 27.2 miles was random.

I'd be careful Bobkin on a progressive Monday Time Trial. It's doomed from the start unless you get to zero and disappear into a black hole..............

Last edited:

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Did a sixteen miler yesterday as part of my preparation for the Brighton Marathon. Was happy enough with a 9:40 pace.

As part of the prep also doing the Paris Half Marathon on the 10th March (Gilet Jaune permitting). [emoji632]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Depends on your settings to some extent, but to get the ‘correct’ time on strava, you need to set the session as ‘race’ rather than ‘run’ (it’s a known issue in Strava). Strava knocks off non-moving time in ‘run’ as recorded on your watch - for me, for example, things like trail marathons always look about 10 mins less on strava until I’ve reset to ‘race’ as it includes the time eating cake at aid stations, pissing in hedges etc.

For any real ‘PB’ data, you can’t stop your watch during the timed segment (however long it is).....and have strava set to ‘race’.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Depends on your settings to some extent, but to get the ‘correct’ time on strava, you need to set the session as ‘race’ rather than ‘run’ (it’s a known issue in Strava). Strava knocks off non-moving time in ‘run’ as recorded on your watch - for me, for example, things like trail marathons always look about 10 mins less on strava until I’ve reset to ‘race’ as it includes the time eating cake at aid stations, pissing in hedges etc.

For any real ‘PB’ data, you can’t stop your watch during the timed segment (however long it is).....and have strava set to ‘race’.

I get it almost. Just enabled autopause on my Garmin35.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

You spend ONLY 10 minutes on that? Gotta be more, no?

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Did a sixteen miler yesterday as part of my preparation for the Brighton Marathon. Was happy enough with a 9:40 pace.

As part of the prep also doing the Paris Half Marathon on the 10th March (Gilet Jaune permitting). [emoji632]

Sounds like your training is going well, I only managed 10 miles on Sunday. Lots to work on before April.

Good luck for Paris. Please give us a report on that as I’m thinking of doing a half in France in September and would love to hear how you got on.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I get it almost. Just enabled autopause on my Garmin35.

My Garmin's set to autopause, but even that doesn't work perfectly, as it takes it a good few seconds to work out that you've actually stopped, and a similar time to register that you've started running again.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My Garmin's set to autopause, but even that doesn't work perfectly, as it takes it a good few seconds to work out that you've actually stopped, and a similar time to register that you've started running again.
...... Or if you're going over the Seven Sisters at the end of the Beachy Head marathon, it thinks you've stopped when you haven't because you're moving so slowly (true story [emoji19][emoji19])

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
20:27 at Brockenhurst for me on saturday, 10th out of 205. No form still, but a little bit of pace coming back and I held off some chumps up the finishing hill of doom. I saw an Albion shirt but I couldn't speak to him - hello if you're on here! Lovely course, I'd love to give it a go when it's warm and sunny.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The Three Forts Challenge for me at 27.2 miles was random.

I'd be careful Bobkin on a progressive Monday Time Trial. It's doomed from the start unless you get to zero and disappear into a black hole..............

Yeah, but that's billed as a 'marathon', isn't it? Like the STE runs that almost ALWAYS measure long (but you're not allowed to call them an ultra :lol:)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Took on the dreaded 10k distance this morning after looking through my Garmin and seeing my PB on there was 52 mins. Aimed for sub-50, ended up with 48:01. No great shakes considering my previous stabs at that distance, but it's a start!

Also looked at the 'race predictor' stats – they're a laugh. It reckons I'm good for a sub-20 5k and a 3:07 marathon time :laugh::laugh:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Those Garmin Race predictors are a joke -mine are currently reading 18:48 for 5k and 3:00:04 for marathon. In my dreams .....

I actually find them pretty accurate for me. It currently says:

5k - 18:04 (I did 18:09 in November)
10k - 37:29 (Haven't done one for a while, but I think I could get close)
HM - 1:22:53 (I did 1:22:57 in October)
FM - 2:53:05 (I'll know how accurate that is a week on Saturday!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here