Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
32k (20 miles) for me this morning. A nice day for it; cold at around freezing; but very little wind and just the slightest bit of snow in the air.

Every time I do a long run on my own I'm useless at pacing myself. I set off with the aim of keeping a 4:40-4:45 per km pace. My first km was 4:42, so I thought I was going to keep to that for the whole run. Nope, that ended up being one of only two km which were slower than 4:40 and I ended up with an average of 4:30 :lolol: I blame other people running along the lake front, I see a target and have to take it.

Anyway, despite being a bit faster than I was planning, it was a great run and I felt good the whole way. I'm just aware that I don't want to push it too much on a long run and not be able to get the recovery in for the next week.

I assume other people have this problem? I know some of my running friends either do the same as me or go completely the other way and end being much slower or don't reach the distance when they run alone.

Not at your pace, but yes - mostly make a mess of it. Last couple of runs I’ve tried really hard to keep to below target MP (around 8.30 mine per mile) and settle at not being faster than 9. It’s tough !

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I’m running to a coached and structured plan for Brighton Marathon 2019. It’s mostly based on timed runs and I can’t get the hang of it at all. Today was supposed to be 1hr 50 and around 11 miles. I ran 1.46 for 10.3 miles on legs that had been absolutely beasted by yesterday’s parkrun. It was chucking with rain when I started and the police were nicking a drunk and incapable by the Marina that meant an early 180 and that was my plan screwed. I know every mile marker from my house to Rottingdean and back but timed runs totally throw me.

However, if I’m heading home and there’s a viable “target” in view it speeds me up no end. The target usually turns out to be a septuagenarian hiker though.

It sounds like you hit roughly the right pace, even if you were 4 minutes short. Seems like a good effort, especially it crap weather.

My problem with "targets" today is that they were mainly from running clubs, so I had no choice but to up my pace to catch them(right?) There were also a couple of semi-elite who breezed past me at one point. Obviously I had to put in a burst just to see how fast they were going, but I wasn't in their league. I caught up with again about 2km later after they'd stopped for a toilet break, so I got to see them accelerate away from me twice!

Not at your pace, but yes - mostly make a mess of it. Last couple of runs I’ve tried really hard to keep to below target MP (around 8.30 mine per mile) and settle at not being faster than 9. It’s tough !

Yeah, this is the problem. My target MP is 4:15/km, and I really shouldn't be going any faster than 4:45 on my long runs. 4:30 is definitely too quick.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’m running to a coached and structured plan for Brighton Marathon 2019. It’s mostly based on timed runs and I can’t get the hang of it at all. Today was supposed to be 1hr 50 and around 11 miles. I ran 1.46 for 10.3 miles on legs that had been absolutely beasted by yesterday’s parkrun. It was chucking with rain when I started and the police were nicking a drunk and incapable by the Marina that meant an early 180 and that was my plan screwed. I know every mile marker from my house to Rottingdean and back but timed runs totally throw me.

However, if I’m heading home and there’s a viable “target” in view it speeds me up no end. The target usually turns out to be a septuagenarian hiker though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] See you by the 5 mile mark on about 40 minutes then [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

More seriously, your legs shouldn’t really be trashed from parkrun for a slow run the following day - recovery time way less than 24 hours......

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm changing my marathon training plan this year.
Have decided to continue with the Monday Withdean track intervals from January.
The weekly long run, currently on Sunday, will switch to Wednesday or Thursday.
Saturday Parkrun will need extra mileage before or after.

Swimming 5 mornings and a long bike ride Sunday. Race entry will be decided by those in the Arena80 Super Series 2019.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] See you by the 5 mile mark on about 40 minutes then [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

More seriously, your legs shouldn’t really be trashed from parkrun for a slow run the following day - recovery time way less than 24 hours......

They were fine at the start - thanks to actually jogging for 10 mins after and then walking home - but anything more than 10 min miles was a real effort. I'm certainly being worked over at the moment, the last week was my highest mileage week all year :lolol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm changing my marathon training plan this year.
Have decided to continue with the Monday Withdean track intervals from January.
The weekly long run, currently on Sunday, will switch to Wednesday or Thursday.
Saturday Parkrun will need extra mileage before or after.

Swimming 5 mornings and a long bike ride Sunday. Race entry will be decided by those in the Arena80 Super Series 2019.

Is this more knocky fake news we ask ourselves? :lol:

The battle is on........

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Hi Folks. Another period of struggling with injuries for me recently so the only running I've done lately has been parkruns. Saturday was Darlington South Park, 12th out of 286 in 19:50. The course is three copycat laps of the park, very similar to Hove Park in a lot of ways in that you don't have any dead turns but like Preston Park in that there's only one climb, which you do three times. It's a decent course and the winning time is usually 16 and change. Their organisers couldn't believe that Brighton and Hove attract 1.5k people across the 5 (Preston Park, Hove Park, Hove Promenade, Bevendean Down, East Brighton park) each week. Their only pacer on the day, 29 minutes, came home in 26:something which was absolutely ridiculous! My previous parkrun, though, was 17/11/18. :down:

I've not recovered well, but I'm going to be running Preston Park tomorrow and, hopefully, a New Years Day double. I'll be in Wellingborough though, so I'm looking at Market Harborough and Kettering as the double.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Hi Folks. Another period of struggling with injuries for me recently so the only running I've done lately has been parkruns. Saturday was Darlington South Park, 12th out of 286 in 19:50. The course is three copycat laps of the park, very similar to Hove Park in a lot of ways in that you don't have any dead turns but like Preston Park in that there's only one climb, which you do three times. It's a decent course and the winning time is usually 16 and change. Their organisers couldn't believe that Brighton and Hove attract 1.5k people across the 5 (Preston Park, Hove Park, Hove Promenade, Bevendean Down, East Brighton park) each week. Their only pacer on the day, 29 minutes, came home in 26:something which was absolutely ridiculous! My previous parkrun, though, was 17/11/18. :down:

I've not recovered well, but I'm going to be running Preston Park tomorrow and, hopefully, a New Years Day double. I'll be in Wellingborough though, so I'm looking at Market Harborough and Kettering as the double.

I might come along too. But if I do I’ll have to sprint home so as not to get in too much trouble so I won’t be able to catch up and chat after. If I do make it, it’s Park Run 50 for me so a nice way to bring it up.

Hope to see you return to full fitness soon.

Stinky Pete

Aug 31, 2009
London
Has anybody got any tips for dealing with Plantar Fasciitis? Should I stop training or can I just run through it?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Preston Park tomorrow for me - hope to see some of you there.

Thankfully , others are more expert on the dreaded plantar fasciitis than me but I believe it goes - don’t run, roll your foot on a tennis ball/golf ball/frozen water bottle. Consider plenty of calf stretching/rolling. When you are ready to come back start very gently and gradually build up speed and distance.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A very respectable turnout from the NSC running collective today. Saw [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] and ran with [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] Must have been close to 700 runners today with the nice weather.

Couldn’t find a barcode today so decided to jog round and enjoy it. The last K ended up being a lot quicker with ninja giving it the beans. I ended up running 7 miles so all good for the food and drink onslaught today.

Merry Christmas everyone.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Has anybody got any tips for dealing with Plantar Fasciitis? Should I stop training or can I just run through it?

Definitely do not try to run through it...it won’t improve but will become chronic then you’ll be out for months.

First rule - get a proper diagnosis from a podiatrist or physio if you haven’t already. Could be related causes/issues, and they’ll advise on treatment and rehab

If it is, then very regular rolling of the foot (frozen water bottle, tennis ball, golf ball - whichever causes the closest to making you cry with pain but not quite). Lots of calf stretching. Also worth investing in a strassbourg sock (loads available online) - know several people who have had good results with these.

Good luck...it’s a little f****r of an injury to get rid of, and very painful.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A very respectable turnout from the NSC running collective today. Saw [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] and ran with [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] Must have been close to 700 runners today with the nice weather.

Couldn’t find a barcode today so decided to jog round and enjoy it. The last K ended up being a lot quicker with ninja giving it the beans. I ended up running 7 miles so all good for the food and drink onslaught today.

Merry Xmas to all you fellow joggers too!
Had my first Xmas sea dip today followed by Prosecco and a pint of Harvey’s 7.5% Xmas Special all before 12. Hic.

099C3049-FC39-4F12-AC9D-F94734844462.jpeg

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

I was there too. Fantastic turnout. Very slow congested start, and a fairly poor run from me (23 min or so), but my only target these days is keeping above 70% AGR, and I just about managed that again today. The front runner was really on fire- not seen the results yet but he must have been just over 15:30 - think it might have been Kevin Rojas but not sure.

Happy Christmas to all NSC runners!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
My 9-year old daughter participated in her first Junior Park Run today - instigated by the after school Running Club she is in.

Getting up at 06.45am on a cold rainy day didn't feel great, but what a fantastic event with great volunteers, great spirit and superbly organised, with 100+ kids running in the pouring rain with smiles on their faces. All free, too. She can't wait to go back next week - and truth be told, neither can I. And her 7-year brother wants to run next time too, so I registered him on Park Run tonight.

I'm know I'm late to the party, but Park Run is a fantastic institution.

I thought I would revisit this thread with a quick update...

Well, Junior Park Run has certainly changed our lives in a really positive way and got us all doing something as a family. Since this first run (above), my daughter (9) and son (7) have participated every single week, despite it being an early start every Sunday and a good 40 minute drive to get to the venue. So far they have run in freezing temperatures, torential rain, howling winds and just once it was actually quite pleasant. But they always finish with a sprint, a massive smile on their faces and covered in mud. I won't pretend I am always thrilled about the state of the car interior by the time we get home, but it's worth it for a great start to Sundays and the fact the kids are always keen for an early night on Saturdays.

The next 2 weeks mark a personal Park Run milestone for them both. Next Sunday my daughter receives her 11-run wristband and the week after it will be the turn of my little boy. I'm really proud of both of them and the fact that they haven't missed a single week on the way to this achievement, inspite of being given the option to go or stay home every Sunday.

The volunteers who make JPR happen every week without fail really are a class apart.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Lovely run at Worthing today - cracking weather and they let us run around the pier on the way out. Really enjoyable and a good atmosphere for all.

22:19 (73.79%) for me but the real performance today from my tribe was that my grandson took his first steps. He'll be overtaking me soon.

Happy Xmas to all.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It was nice to run at a steadier pace this morning, with [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION]. Upsetting to be shown a clean pair of heels in the finish though, finishing the year in the dominant fashion he's manager over every distance this year (except the Worthing Half in february!). Here's to a competitive 2019. :thumbsup:

I hope everyone's had a belter today, Merry Christmas to you all.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
I bought my wife the Garmin Forerunner 735x for Christmas. No idea if it is any good tbh. What do you guys think? She does mainly cross country at the moment but planning to middle distance on the track in the summer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here