Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Just bumped into half the squad

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Indeed. After a game like this the squad and club staff would be back in Sussex well before Match of the Day starts on Saturday night.

As penance for missing one header.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm clearly missing something here. It was never promised the players would be at the party - exactly the opposite in fact. The players deserve some down time - especially this time of year - and it's sensible to give them that as far away from an up and coming match as possible. They will also give up part of their Christmas Day for training - hands up anyone on this thread who's working on that day ? Really, some people will moan about anything. Hope the players had a good time.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
''Bumped into half the squad''..will there be an update on the injuries thread :moo:

..has Junior admitted he was in Manchester to watch Utd play?

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I was going to say its unbelievable that some posters are complaining about players being out last night and not attending the Christmas party instead. However it is actually quite believable, and actually expected. This "how dare the players do..." is beyond me. As others have said its 8 days before the next game, they have just had 3 games in 7 days, they will be training Christmas day, playing Boxing day. Its the one time they can actually have a bit of a do and relax between now and January with plenty of time to recover before the next game. The complaints about not attending the Kids party when it was specifically said way back in October they wouldn't be doing so, are ridiculous.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Benefit on team morale and bonding of a good piss up is far greater than the negative physical effects, which will be insignificant to someone in their 20s and early 30s (Bruno will have to stick to the lemonade) as long as it's not a regular thing.

It sounds like the club are pushing the boat out for the kids' do, and it's not as if they don't make the effort at other times, such as signing days and open training sessions.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Very interesting if true. As disappointingly the squad cannot make the Young Seagulls Christmas party later today, due to away match travel commitments!

That’s a bit crap if true.

One would hope that they can make it back to Brighton in time to make it. If they don’t then everyone will know why they didn’t turn up and it would truly reflect on the club’s “community” priorities. It would never have happened had Margaret Sanderson still been running the show.

The team aren't due to attend the junior seagulls Christmas party this year and instead it is fairground rides and an ice rink. The reason given, months ago, for them not attending is because they were away at Burnley yesterday.

My nephew is upset with this news. His dad hasn't received any communication about this. Can you paste the relevant email?

Or how were you contacted?

Edit: BN3 above just gave the reason.....

But the point is, they clearly could have attended.

Very much this. Poor PR from the club if this is correct information.

So the kids can have a massive free Christmas party, but the players can't have a social get together away from the prying eyes of Brighton? :shrug:

It is pretty crap they won't be there. My son and plenty of his friends aren't bothering to go this year as the main attraction for them is meeting the players, even if it is for a few seconds and they had to queue an hour! Just trying to point out it isn't a surprise and they haven't just cancelled the team appearing as some of them had some drinks last night .

They announced that in October. "Due to the larger number of fans we are accommodating and our complex fixture scheduling during the December and Christmas period, the players are not able to attend. However, our selfie and autograph hunters will have the opportunity to meet your favourite player at our next open training session in 2019."
https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2018/october/young-seagulls-christmas-party-is-back/
Presumably made the decision to focus on the various open training sessions , avoid queues and and focus on the signing sessions they do in half terms . Most recently in August and October.

I'm clearly missing something here. It was never promised the players would be at the party - exactly the opposite in fact. The players deserve some down time - especially this time of year - and it's sensible to give them that as far away from an up and coming match as possible. They will also give up part of their Christmas Day for training - hands up anyone on this thread who's working on that day ? Really, some people will moan about anything. Hope the players had a good time.

Was busy quoting everyone to point out the nsc witch hunt is totally wrong and many false things have been posted but luckily westdene did it for me. The party has got bigger and bigger and they’ve said from the start the players won’t be there. Chill.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Was busy quoting everyone to point out the nsc witch hunt is totally wrong and many false things have been posted but luckily westdene did it for me. The party has got bigger and bigger and they’ve said Fromm the start the players won’t be there. Chill.

You've misunderstood me Sheebo as I definitely wasn't witch hunting and was just trying to point out players appearance hasn't been cancelled due to them drinking but has long been planned.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
One would hope that they can make it back to Brighton in time to make it. If they don’t then everyone will know why they didn’t turn up and it would truly reflect on the club’s “community” priorities. It would never have happened had Margaret Sanderson still been running the show.

There's a name from the past, Margaret 'Iron Lady' Sanderson, the woman who tried to ban me from the Supporters Club all those years ago. :ban:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You've misunderstood me Sheebo as I definitely wasn't witch hunting and was just trying to point out players appearance hasn't been cancelled due to them drinking but has long been planned.

I just quoted everyone commenting on it mate wasn’t saying you meant that matey. Just think it’s been advertised for ages etc and also Junior is a WUM and it’s probably not even true!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
They normally fly straight back to Gatwick after an away match that is a distance away. :shrug:

So, if they didn't fly straight back on this occasion it would seem that the players' Christmas bash was sanctioned by the management. Any alcohol consumed last night will haver no ill effects on their performance next weekend; besides, we don't expect to do anything but lose against Chelski, do we?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
So, if they didn't fly straight back on this occasion it would seem that the players' Christmas bash was sanctioned by the management. Any alcohol consumed last night will haver no ill effects on their performance next weekend; besides, we don't expect to do anything but lose against Chelski, do we?

Well the charter flew back last night. It was tabled as having left Manchester at 7pm and arrived at Gatwick at 7:40

Clearly according to the OP not all the players travelled back. If it was thier party, then it was obviously sanctioned.

In answer to your question, we are going to get tanked by Chelsea. As we did in the same fixture last season :lol:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well the charter flew back last night. It was tabled as having left Manchester at 7pm and arrived at Gatwick at 7:40

Clearly according to the OP not all the players travelled back. If it was thier party, then it was obviously sanctioned.

In answer to your question, we are going to get tanked by Chelsea. As we did in the same fixture last season :lol:
As I remember it, they scored a couple of (very good) goals, then let us off without taking the mickey any further!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here