Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Falmer Watch 10th Anniversary – Today, October 31st 2018.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Delighted to say that Jack Straw is our guest on this week's Roar. Looking forward to it.

I told Ady I wouldn't be turning up half-pissed with a selection of miniatures this time!

boik

I was working as a sysadmin at the time, and managed to embed a small version of the webcam in one of our system monitoring web pages. People in the know used to wander over to look at the "monitoring" screen. Management never spotted it in all the time it was there!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I have just gone through every photo, I felt I lived the journey all over again in my head, some of those pictures brought back memories from when I saw them the first time round. Absolutely incredible. I will certainly take a bigger look against Leicester just to realise how far and how long it took.

What I loved going though them then though, was recognising what was being built and it all coming together, at the time I had literally no idea what I was looking at and what it would all mean.

What a huge part of this clubs histrory documented. you truely did a brilliant thing. Ive been having a rough time but that has honestly for the 1st time in weeks cleared my head and just enjoyed 20mins to myself. Cheers.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
What a huge part of this clubs histrory documented. you truely did a brilliant thing. Ive been having a rough time but that has honestly for the 1st time in weeks cleared my head and just enjoyed 20mins to myself. Cheers.

Thank you, and hope everything gets better for you.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I have just gone through every photo, I felt I lived the journey all over again in my head, some of those pictures brought back memories from when I saw them the first time round. Absolutely incredible. I will certainly take a bigger look against Leicester just to realise how far and how long it took.

What I loved going though them then though, was recognising what was being built and it all coming together, at the time I had literally no idea what I was looking at and what it would all mean.

Yeah , I went through every one also and got many of the emotions I felt when first saw them. Like you had no idea how it all fitted together at the start.

Was incredible when first saw a bit of terracing in the east appear.

Amazing how now when look back at the stadium before it was extended it all looks not so good. At the time it was the best thing ever.

Clearly recall the day the first cladding appeared . So many of those photos alone tell a story in my life of where I was when seeing them

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Living so close, i was able to 'occasionally' walk the dog up along falmer Road just to have a nose. I wish I'd have taken more photos myself.
Amazing how time oozes by as it feels as if the Amex has been there forever.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
October 31st 2008. After years of fighting the residents of Falmer, the Green Party, Lewes District Council, and others, the time was finally here. After years of campaigning, storming in and reclaiming our territory (Mansfield, home), storming out (Hereford, home). Sitting in at Walsall, Orient and Wycombe, marching (Fulham, home and away), letter writing, snow-balling, boycotting (Forfars), chasing, (Bellotti at Rochdale), frightening off, (Bellotti at Wigan, and Darlington, home), balloon tying and ribbon hanging. Turning up at Archer's house to tell him what we thought, and Christ knows what else we got up to whilst playing at The Goldstone, Gillingham and Withdean. There are probably loads of other shenanigans I’ve forgotten – after all, it was all well over ten years ago, but in October 2008, the time had finally come!

Before and during this period, we will all have our memories – at least those of us still here to tell the tale.

I refer to some of our key supporters who throughout the War Years, kept the pressure on those that be with their constant stream of innovative ideas in order to keep the plight of our football club, and the fact we had no home to go to, fresh in everyone’s minds. I would like to mention some of our dear departed heroes in Sarah Watts, Roy Chuter, Paul Welch, and of course, our very own Ed (Lord Bracknell) Basford. Just as important too, the “ordinary” fans, the bread-and-butter supporters who stuck with the Club, joined in with the protests and attended games seventy five miles away at Gillingham, and sat in pouring rain in freezing temperatures at Withdean. Some of them too, are sadly no longer with us.

What was all this about? It was all about getting our famous football club back home to Brighton. Our spiritual home. Our geographical home. Our proper home where our proud roots lie, where we belong.

Ten years ago today, the reward for all that effort from the Falmer for All team, all our loyal fans, Dick Knight and Martin Perry, was there for all to see - A DIGGER IN A FIELD!

So excited was I to see this, I had to record this special moment with my camera. Having driven past the proposed stadium site at least five times each week for years on the way back from work (I’ve since retired), I was beginning to wonder if I would ever see the day, but now, it was finally happening. Our new stadium was about to be built.

I thought perhaps members of North Stand Chat might like to see the photos? The rest as they say, is history. Thank you Tony Bloom!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128321708@N03/albums/72157651087142822

They were exciting times.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Delighted to say that on this week's show, Graeme Rolf - aka [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] - was indeed our guest, offering his views on the Wolves game, Glenn Murray, Kit Napier, and re-living the brilliant Smokey & The Bandit-style chase down the A23 when the first part of the arch arrived.

We also chat to Worthing manager, and former Albion defender Adam Hinshelwood on life at Woodside Road, his time at the Albion, including Glenn Murray's first day there. Oh, and THAT own goal. Enjoy.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7071752...with-guests-graeme-rolfe-and-adam-hinshelwood

I think this was one of the most exciting pics, the day the groundworks finally gave way to something we could all recognise. Which stand is it? Screenshot_20181214-223951.png

Steve_PPP

Oct 24, 2017
Burgess Hill
I think this was one of the most exciting pics, the day the groundworks finally gave way to something we could all recognise. Which stand is it?

Got to be East, considering the location of the porta-cabins in the background.

To the OP - great set of photos, and nice to have a record of the stadium build. I regularly checked the webcam to see the phases develop over time, but to have such a collection of photos from different parts of the site is a nice touch. Good effort.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here