Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Ex-mayor of Brighton calls for two lanes of seafront road to be turned into bike lanes

Oh come on that wasn't a post turning on poor use of statistics, if it was solely that then I sincerely apologise.
Because it doesn't half read as 'what's the point sneering'.
You must have some sort of inferiority complex about being a cyclist then if you read that into my post (I don't). Maybe someone like Gwylan will confirm that I'm usually up for scrutiny of all things arithmetical.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You must have some sort of inferiority complex about being a cyclist then if you read that into my post (I don't). Maybe someone like Gwylan will confirm that I'm usually up for scrutiny of all things arithmetical.

Well my apology is there for you to do with as you please.

But to defend myself against your assertion that I have an inferiority complex about being a cyclist.
I put it to you your use of the word 'only' is what changes your sentence from a scrutiny of all things arithmetical to a sneering comment about the bike lanes usage.

the 14-mile (23km) route was opened in July 2016. Before construction, just 136 cycle trips per weekday were made on the Leeds-Bradford route. In the first year that increased by 51%, in 2018 by a further 26%. By January 2019, it had clocked up 870,764 cycle trips. Of users, 30% describe themselves as new or returning cyclists, and 80% use it between three and five days per week.

Even if you project weekday journeys onto the weekend, I only make that 94,445 journeys in 2018.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As per an article in today's Guardian (which I'm struggling to link):-

Amsterdam to ban all petrol and diesel vehicles by 2030.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
As per an article in today's Guardian (which I'm struggling to link):-

Amsterdam to ban all petrol and diesel vehicles by 2030.

Norway are pushing for only EVs in the same time frame. Were we to implement something here, that would resolve the pollution aspects, but it woudn't fix the traffic volumes. As I mentioned up thread, we need a fundamenatal change in the way we own / use vehicles, with shared ownership of vehicles tailored to specific 'tasks'.

So, for the Brighton & Hove area there could be a fleet of small 'in town' EVs with limited range / quick charge times and perfectly suited to short journeys across the City. These would be provided in the same way as the shared ownership bikes in London and Brighton.

Like this from SEAT

seat-minimo-a-vision-of-the-future-of-urban-mobility_06_hq.jpg

For longer journeys another type of vehicle / transport system is needed, either shared ownership EVs or owned, as the current rail network isn't suitable for many journeys, especially when you consider the costs involved.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Another crazy idea not every one lives on the flat or has decent bus services.

I often use the seafront when I deem it necessary to go across Brighton and can't use the bypass. The seafront has been pretty good in my opinion and better than trying union road/new england road/ shoreham road route . If you close the seafront road the roads through the town will only get worse.

I think the planners need to realise that the the advent of the affordable electric car means that the 'car' will remain a lot of people's mode of transport.

There are also electric bikes that are even more affordable. The days of pandering to the car are coming to an end.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Norway are pushing for only EVs in the same time frame. Were we to implement something here, that would resolve the pollution aspects, but it woudn't fix the traffic volumes. As I mentioned up thread, we need a fundamenatal change in the way we own / use vehicles, with shared ownership of vehicles tailored to specific 'tasks'.

So, for the Brighton & Hove area there could be a fleet of small 'in town' EVs with limited range / quick charge times and perfectly suited to short journeys across the City. These would be provided in the same way as the shared ownership bikes in London and Brighton.

Like this from SEAT

View attachment 108846

For longer journeys another type of vehicle / transport system is needed, either shared ownership EVs or owned, as the current rail network isn't suitable for many journeys, especially when you consider the costs involved.

Useless ...can’t get my mowers in that :moo:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There are also electric bikes that are even more affordable. The days of pandering to the car are coming to an end.
[MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] alluded to this earlier, sadly I won't be able to find the genesis of the New York study but it goes something like this:-

'hang on a minute, we're all crammed 10 across on this sidewalk but twice the width is being given to 4 people (in their cars).

Anyone, this BH weekend in central Brighton please take a moment to look at the people on the pavement, then look at just the people in their cars.

Utter utter madness

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

electric bikes are a joke at the moment. given time they might get better but you get soaked when it rains....

better and cheaper buses is the real answer but i don't see that happening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here