Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Could We Survive On 33 Points?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If we 'survived' on 33 points it would strengthen my belief that ALL teams below 38 points should get relegated.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I think Cardiff will do better than we expect - if they get something on Saturday against Burnley.

However, if they lose on Saturday and then lose again to us, their heads will go down and they'll struggle to get to 30+.

Psychology is a huge factor and Saturday will go a long way to determining how many points we will need. Even if we lose
and Cardiff lose - it is still a mountain for them to climb.

If they win and we lose - I'll be absolutely crapping myself for the Tuesday match.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
If points are needed in those games we would get them. CH teams always do.

Well, that's a load of bollocks, isn't it. His team was completely unable to get the points required to secure promotion at the end of the 2015-16 season, and having achieved automatic promotion the following campaign his team was completely unable to get the 3 points required (in 3 games) to secure the title.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
If and it is a big IF we beat Cardiff draws will be no use to Cardiff while they would be most welcome for us.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
After we get humped at Arsenal, Cardiff host Palace in the TV game. If Cardiff are still within 5 points of us by then (or better), it would mean that for the very first time in my entire life, I will have to watch a game actually rooting for that south London filth.

*shudder*

Bless

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well, that's a load of bollocks, isn't it. His team was completely unable to get the points required to secure promotion at the end of the 2015-16 season, .

That assessment is a harsh as ****, if you don't mind me pointing it out.

That team earned a massive 45 points from the final 20 games of that season (W13, D6, L1), and amassed one of the highest (if not THE highest?) points totals (89) to ever not win promotion. That was an exceptional return, and desperately unfortunate to not achieve automatic promotion - falling short only by drawing the final 2 matches, in no small part to the unjust red card at Boro, and a host of injuries.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Well, that's a load of bollocks, isn't it. His team was completely unable to get the points required to secure promotion at the end of the 2015-16 season, and having achieved automatic promotion the following campaign his team was completely unable to get the 3 points required (in 3 games) to secure the title.

If you keep using that ''Bollocks'' theory - Brighton should be in Champions League by now.

Based on the goals and aims of the Club in those two seasons he got the points required.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
That assessment is a harsh as ****, if you don't mind me pointing it out.

That team earned a massive 45 points from the final 20 games of that season (W13, D6, L1), and amassed one of the highest (if not THE highest?) points totals (89) to ever not win promotion. That was an exceptional return, and desperately unfortunate to not achieve automatic promotion - falling short only by drawing the final 2 matches, in no small part to the unjust red card at Boro, and a host of injuries.

I wouldn't disagree, but it has nothing to do with what I posted. I was refuting [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION]'s ridiculous claim that a CH team "always" gets the points in games when they are needed.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Whats with all this negativity, and worrying about 33 points.

I'm looking forward to 6 points by next Tuesday and sitting above Smug Eddie in the table

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I wouldn't disagree, but it has nothing to do with what I posted. I was refuting [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION]'s ridiculous claim that a CH team "always" gets the points in games when they are needed.

You have seen it yourself. As soon as the team start drifting close to the bottom 3 they always pull out a performance which drags them clear

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If we 'survived' on 33 points it would strengthen my belief that ALL teams below 38 points should get relegated.

You know, I quite like that. A standard three relegated but no-one can assume safety until they pass the magical figure.

Would never get off the ground but a good thought.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I still think we will get at least 42 points, winning on Sat and against Cardiff and Newcastle, whether we pick up anything in the other 4 games is up in the air, but I'm actually finding this anti Hughton school of thought, many of whom probably never set foot in the Withdean, on the cusp of laughable and insulting.

Does anyone remember what it was like before he came?

I hope that your optimism is justified, but am not totally sure; I imagine that prior to Burnley and Saints, you would have said something similar about the 5 winnable home games, as I did, to be fair. As to your comment about those not attending Withdean -one might argue that THAT is insulting. Many posters have quite reasonably lamented the defensive tactics this year and are you saying that you thought the set-up against Southampton was good? Afterall, it is perfectly reasonable not to have gone to Withdean and yet have strong words about some of the let's face it many mediocre performances this season.(I did go to W, by the way!) CH is a good manager and I am sure that his level-headed approach is good for the club, but he is not beyond criticism.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Well, if you are going to take it absolutely LITERALLY, then obviously that isn't true of any manager or team on the planet. there is merit in his suggestion. I've refused to get too panicky about the dotted line, based on similar thinking - that we are guilty of cruising along a bit at the moment, but if the gap narrows, I'm confident that the required refocusing of minds would happen.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Assume Cardiff beat Brighton, i'd say the odds of them getting to 34 points or more are about 5/2 on . A decent probability but nowhere near a certainty.

I have a prediction for you all. All time you've spent mentally allocating those wins, draws and losses, was wasted. Cardiff, Brighton and all the others will all have surprising results from now till the end of the season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You know, I quite like that. A standard three relegated but no-one can assume safety until they pass the magical figure.

Would never get off the ground but a good thought.

There are probably a bazillion flaws in the idea, I'd add Championship teams need to reach a minimum points total to 'qualify', and would caveat a lesser total for the newly promoted clubs.

But my thinking before the Albion were involved and even now that they are, something ought to be done to ship out of the division the perennial deadwood who just aren't as dead as the real dross.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here