Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just made it. I'm a physical mess but mentally ready for Brighton Marathon. The AW 20 was too soon after Hastings for me. The week in between was spent digging, preparing and planting 6 rows of potatoes and hanging three heavy oak doors. I now have excruciating spasms in left lower back.

Hopefully OK by Saturday for a pre Wembley blitz on the Prom. Sunday will be a day of rest.
Thankfully I can get back to Withdean track sessions, for the first time since October, after BM and do some real running.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
6 x 1 miles for me today, the hip is feeling absolutely spot on now. I took it at a reserved 6:30 pace and was fairly comfortable the whole way around.

I think that for this one, I need to be aiming to move up the league table but I'll be looking at Bournemouth for a sub-3 attempt with a few months of deliberate build up work behind me and a few races thrown in at full pace to see what's what. I lost a lot of ground in our table last year and it's time to reclaim what once was mine!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
A small right achilles issue has marred today's 7 mile recovery run, fairly evenly paced throughout and made the 8 minutes per mile target fairly comfortably with a nice down hill to finish. I'm going to wrap my right ankle and achilles in ice (well, petis pous) tonight. I'm slated for a 10 miler tomorrow at 7 minutes per mile but that may either be shortened, or the pace slowed, depending on the recovery overnight.

One thing that I'm paying a lot of attention to in this cycle is running at the time of the race itself - most of my runs have been at the time of day the marathon will be, is that something people feel is important? I think it makes sense, I don't generally eat before a run and I won't on marathon day either so running in similar circumstances makes logical sense but is there an argument for variation in training times?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A small right achilles issue has marred today's 7 mile recovery run, fairly evenly paced throughout and made the 8 minutes per mile target fairly comfortably with a nice down hill to finish. I'm going to wrap my right ankle and achilles in ice (well, petis pous) tonight. I'm slated for a 10 miler tomorrow at 7 minutes per mile but that may either be shortened, or the pace slowed, depending on the recovery overnight.

One thing that I'm paying a lot of attention to in this cycle is running at the time of the race itself - most of my runs have been at the time of day the marathon will be, is that something people feel is important? I think it makes sense, I don't generally eat before a run and I won't on marathon day either so running in similar circumstances makes logical sense but is there an argument for variation in training times?

You have to fuel on the morning of the marathon, it’s too long a distance not to. I’d personally have the biggest breakfast known to man but you should at the very least have some toast and a banana and keep hydrated.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

You really don't eat on the morning before a marathon? I always have a bowl of porridge/blueberries/honey and half a banana at least 2 hours before any long run, especially on race day. Do you fuel heavily during the race? I think I'd really struggle at the end if I went out without eating.

I think simulating the race time does help quite a bit. I'd say the most important thing is simulating getting up the same amount of time before your run as you would on race day, and eating the same things the night before. I'm always very wary of having enough time to wake myself up and clear my system.

I've been taking it easy recently. I've had really tight quads for weeks despite my best efforts to stretch and roll them out. I think I didn't put in enough recovery after the marathon and threw myself back into running, with a real push at the 5k a couple of weeks ago. I've got an 8k race on Saturday, which involves some serious hill climbing (probably not the best way to fix my quads). Booked an appointment for a massage next week which I'm hoping will help sort things out. I've got 4 races between now and mid June, so I can't be doing with injuries!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

It makes sense to train at the same time as the marathon itself. I have no scientific evidence though...I just know my body is now drilled to run first thing and I feel it makes sense.

A light breakfast 2 hours before is my thing. Brown bagel, with tones of jam and peanut butter. 300 ml water and a small coffee.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I also lay off the booze for 4 weeks. You will never have a better, or more well deserved, pint than after a marathon.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I also lay off the booze for 4 weeks. You will never have a better, or more well deserved, pint than after a marathon.

Same for me. A month without booze, then the best pint you've ever had. Hammered after 2 :lolol:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You have to fuel on the morning of the marathon, it’s too long a distance not to. I’d personally have the biggest breakfast known to man but you should at the very least have some toast and a banana and keep hydrated.

I haven't before 7 of the previous 8 I've done, the exception being one which started at 8pm. I'll definitely have a banana, I wasn't including it, but that'll happen. And some water, but other than that I don't generally and partly because;

You really don't eat on the morning before a marathon? I always have a bowl of porridge/blueberries/honey and half a banana at least 2 hours before any long run, especially on race day. Do you fuel heavily during the race? I think I'd really struggle at the end if I went out without eating.

I think simulating the race time does help quite a bit. I'd say the most important thing is simulating getting up the same amount of time before your run as you would on race day, and eating the same things the night before. I'm always very wary of having enough time to wake myself up and clear my system.

... I'm not usually up 2 hours before the marathon starts! I haven't generally had a problem toward the end of the marathons either, I usually take on water around mile 16 and they're every few miles from there. What I may do this year is drink water earlier and get a few people I know to be on the course to have a banana or jelly babies or something on hand. A friend of mine has a beach hut by the lagoon and generally watches from there, I might use them as a personal refuelling stop at mile 23!

Good luck recovering from the injuries, [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION]. What are the race lengths?

It makes sense to train at the same time as the marathon itself. I have no scientific evidence though...I just know my body is now drilled to run first thing and I feel it makes sense.

A light breakfast 2 hours before is my thing. Brown bagel, with tones of jam and peanut butter. 300 ml water and a small coffee.

I only eat brown bread/rolls - it makes me feel good about myself! I haven't had a drink since January, I'm not a big drinker at the worst of times but I always try and flush out all alcohol before the day. I ran one slightly hungover (Beachy Head 2017...) which wasn't wise.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
... I'm not usually up 2 hours before the marathon starts! I haven't generally had a problem toward the end of the marathons either, I usually take on water around mile 16 and they're every few miles from there. What I may do this year is drink water earlier and get a few people I know to be on the course to have a banana or jelly babies or something on hand. A friend of mine has a beach hut by the lagoon and generally watches from there, I might use them as a personal refuelling stop at mile 23!

Good luck recovering from the injuries, [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION]. What are the race lengths?

I'm sure this approach works for you. but I have to say I'm amazed you're not even up 2 hours before a race. The eating is one thing, but I find I need to be up at least 2 hours before in order to have time for my body to be ready to take the all important pre-race dump.

Thanks. I don't feel like it's injuries, as it hasn't affected me when I've been running. I'm just worried it could lead to an injury. My races are:
8k on Saturday
Half Marathon in Pittsburgh on 5th May although I'm not planning on racing it (but, you know, it's hard not to)
Ragnar relay on 31st May/1st June - 3 legs, around 34k in total
10k on 15th June which I'm planning on racing for a PB

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I very rarely eat before a race, much prefer starting empty and then topping up on the way. I do the same in training (long runs anyway). If I wanted to eat before a race it would have to be at least 3 hours, and when I’ve tried it I’ve hated it.

The body stores about 2 hours worth of glycogen (and from a race perspective unlimited stores of fat), so eating beforehand has no real effect IMO particularly if you’re predominantly in a fat-burning zone for the race duration.

As always, everyone is different and it’s vital to practice......

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm sure this approach works for you. but I have to say I'm amazed you're not even up 2 hours before a race. The eating is one thing, but I find I need to be up at least 2 hours before in order to have time for my body to be ready to take the all important pre-race dump.

Thanks. I don't feel like it's injuries, as it hasn't affected me when I've been running. I'm just worried it could lead to an injury. My races are:
8k on Saturday
Half Marathon in Pittsburgh on 5th May although I'm not planning on racing it (but, you know, it's hard not to)
Ragnar relay on 31st May/1st June - 3 legs, around 34k in total
10k on 15th June which I'm planning on racing for a PB

I'm not sure it does work for me, to be honest. I have to consider everything about the race day experience to try and drag out a PB - the later starts help me and I think the Hastings Half could become a PB race for me because it's a more appopriate start time for me - considering I struggle to get myself up! My parkrun PB was on a morning when I was up about 2 hours before the race, I didn't eat but did do a full warm up including a mile or so jogging and actively warming up. The pre-race dump is crucial - I do always find a time for that but I will try and be up earlier for the marathon this year. You work hard for months and months, it would be crazy to then wake up at the time I have to leave... (been there!)

Good range of racing there - I definitely feel the truth of the HM race! Once you've started...

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I'm not sure it does work for me, to be honest. I have to consider everything about the race day experience to try and drag out a PB - the later starts help me and I think the Hastings Half could become a PB race for me because it's a more appopriate start time for me - considering I struggle to get myself up! My parkrun PB was on a morning when I was up about 2 hours before the race, I didn't eat but did do a full warm up including a mile or so jogging and actively warming up. The pre-race dump is crucial - I do always find a time for that but I will try and be up earlier for the marathon this year. You work hard for months and months, it would be crazy to then wake up at the time I have to leave... (been there!)

Good range of racing there - I definitely feel the truth of the HM race! Once you've started...

Everyone is talking about the crucial pre race dump in the singular term. I tend to have a minimum of 3 and often 4 in the hours proceeding start time. A lot of it is nerves in my opinion.

I used to get exactly the same when I had to cover in goal for my Sunday league team. When I was on pitch far less toilet visits.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I very rarely eat before a race, much prefer starting empty and then topping up on the way. I do the same in training (long runs anyway). If I wanted to eat before a race it would have to be at least 3 hours, and when I’ve tried it I’ve hated it.

The body stores about 2 hours worth of glycogen (and from a race perspective unlimited stores of fat), so eating beforehand has no real effect IMO particularly if you’re predominantly in a fat-burning zone for the race duration.

As always, everyone is different and it’s vital to practice......

Definitely agree it's best to stick with what works for you and what you have done for your long runs in training. I'm in the light breakfast camp the morning of. Coffee, slice of toast w/ butter, a little porridge (half a bowl max.) and banana 3 hours before start time. I also have a bottle of water with an electrolyte tablet leading up to start time. For Manchester on Sunday I'll also travel to Manchester with my usual dinner the evening before a long run (chicken, rice & noodles) for Saturday early evening. Just works for me.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Everyone is talking about the crucial pre race dump in the singular term. I tend to have a minimum of 3 and often 4 in the hours proceeding start time. A lot of it is nerves in my opinion.

I used to get exactly the same when I had to cover in goal for my Sunday league team. When I was on pitch far less toilet visits.

It’s more scientific than that - it’s the body producing adrenaline......the ‘fight or flight’ response (lightening the load)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yep, I don't eat much pre-race. My one and only sub-4 time was on an empty stomach – mind you, I was struggling towards the end that I wish I HAD eaten something. I think I've concluded that my 2016 Brighton marathon was ruined by drinking a bottle of Yazoo on the way to the start - won't be doing that again.

Not sure if it's connected, or a phase, or what, but after Moyleman and on Sunday, I haven't been hungry at all. Almost had to force myself to eat, which isn't like me at all. I even said to Jay on Sunday I was gutted because I wasn't able to take advantage of the legendary STE aid station tucker :lol:

Anyway, good luck Brighton crew - saw my first road closure sign on the Norfolk Bridge this morning while out for a little recovery run. Not long to go...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Yep, I don't eat much pre-race. My one and only sub-4 time was on an empty stomach – mind you, I was struggling towards the end that I wish I HAD eaten something. I think I've concluded that my 2016 Brighton marathon was ruined by drinking a bottle of Yazoo on the way to the start - won't be doing that again.

Not sure if it's connected, or a phase, or what, but after Moyleman and on Sunday, I haven't been hungry at all. Almost had to force myself to eat, which isn't like me at all. I even said to Jay on Sunday I was gutted because I wasn't able to take advantage of the legendary STE aid station tucker :lol:

Anyway, good luck Brighton crew - saw my first road closure sign on the Norfolk Bridge this morning while out for a little recovery run. Not long to go...

I wasn't going to admit to it, but I had a bottle of Lucozade sport after a glass of water last year. :facepalm: I feel like it caused issues really early on!

Not as many issues as the 2 mile drink station, though. That is absolutely mental and causes utter carnage.

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Hello all. Just looking for a bit of advice. Went for my last significant training run last week. Just 18k, but the last 8k at a really decent pace for me around 4m30s km's. The only issue being that I started to feel a twinge in my knee with about 5k left. I should have stopped but I didn't as I was feeling great otherwise and wanted to get a good last run in! I then went skiing with my son at the w'end and I didnt really feel any issues. But, i have just been for a PT session on Hove Lawns and I jogged down there (first run since last week) and felt the knee again. We normally do a running exercise to start the session, but after a couple of minutes, the discomfort was significant enough to stop. I did squats, lunges etc in the session without pain. But when I tried to jog back to work I felt the pain come back again after a couple of minutes and stopped. I will be absolutely gutted if I cant do Brighton and London as planned as have put in a lot of effort to get to this stage and have raised a decent chunk of cash for charity, but it is what it is!

My questions are, has anyone else had issues with their knee/s? Does anyone know a physio etc they would recommend or any advice in terms of strapping, stretching etc? 10 days until Brighton, but 24 until London, part of me is thinking miss out on Brighton with the hope I might be ok for London, but then of course i will be less fit with no runs in my legs for 3+ weeks. Or maybe try Brighton and pull out if the pain comes on too much. Sorry for the rambles, but just got back and extremely gutted!!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Maranoia, rest up.

(I don't doubt you have a pain in your knee, but I'll wager you are ultra-sensitive to every twinge at the moment. Rest and relaxation... and probably some ice... is the way to go.)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Hello all. Just looking for a bit of advice. Went for my last significant training run last week. Just 18k, but the last 8k at a really decent pace for me around 4m30s km's. The only issue being that I started to feel a twinge in my knee with about 5k left. I should have stopped but I didn't as I was feeling great otherwise and wanted to get a good last run in! I then went skiing with my son at the w'end and I didnt really feel any issues. But, i have just been for a PT session on Hove Lawns and I jogged down there (first run since last week) and felt the knee again. We normally do a running exercise to start the session, but after a couple of minutes, the discomfort was significant enough to stop. I did squats, lunges etc in the session without pain. But when I tried to jog back to work I felt the pain come back again after a couple of minutes and stopped. I will be absolutely gutted if I cant do Brighton and London as planned as have put in a lot of effort to get to this stage and have raised a decent chunk of cash for charity, but it is what it is!

My questions are, has anyone else had issues with their knee/s? Does anyone know a physio etc they would recommend or any advice in terms of strapping, stretching etc? 10 days until Brighton, but 24 until London, part of me is thinking miss out on Brighton with the hope I might be ok for London, but then of course i will be less fit with no runs in my legs for 3+ weeks. Or maybe try Brighton and pull out if the pain comes on too much. Sorry for the rambles, but just got back and extremely gutted!!

I've always struggled with my knees, more before running than since though. I used to play football on a sunday, not be able to walk without discomfort all week and then play football on a sunday again. The best advice immediately is to seek professional advice because you might have strained a ligament or have something more significant going on but in my experience, knee pain is caused by overuse which requires icing, stretching and resting. See what a professional says, but I think ice and rest may be your best bet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here