Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] PCN help Please.

Aug 21, 2011
Hi, can our resident expert on these please give me some advice on what to do (other than pay the thing).

Yesterday my Son (who is a student and not working and learning to drive, if that has any relevance) was out driving with my Wife and went to the cinema in Worthing. He parked in a Pay & display car park at the bottom of Portland Road, near Boots. Anyway they mistakenly thought that after 18.00 you didn't need a ticket, as my wife checked a nearby meter, which turns out to be a meter for the street and not for the carpark. So fair enough it was a mistake and they should have got a ticket.

Any way the fine/penalty is £100, and has been issued by a company called GXS.

I am aware of ways of not paying these so would appreciate any help an advice.

Thanks

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
There isn't a Pay & Display car park at the bottom of Portland Road near Boots! Are you talking about the former car sales lot that has now been turned into a car park? I'm confused about the location.

And it's NSL that have been contracted by the council to torment and persecute the drivers of Worthing!

Aug 21, 2011
Yes that is the car park, opporsite the Libertine bar, it almost looks derelict!. Not sure who NSL are but on the ticket it says GXS, is that the same firm??

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Regardless of blame, £100 for a parking charge is just criminal. Is there no limit to what they can charge? I mean - can they make it $1000 if they want to?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'd never heard of GSX so looked them up. You need to appeal directly to GSX - google "MSE parking ticket forum" and read the Newbie thread as to the wording you need.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

The bad news is that they belong to the IPC which frankly is a club of criminals run by criminals. It means if your direct appeal doesn't work ( and it probably won't ) then you just ignore. You'll get loads of scary letters but the only letter you need concern yourself with is if you get REAL court papers ( some of these scammers send fake ones just to scare you into paying ). BUT by appealing, and making sure you've used the correct wording, then you have evidence should, in the very unlikely event, it get to court and it will help your case - as will people on MSE.

Whatever you do, don't pay the scammers.

Last edited:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It's a car park on private land. Can't see on the notices that it warns about the quantum of the fine. It is GXS who are "IPC accredited" (whatever that means!).

Charges are pretty clear on there are no restrictions on the hours when the charges apply.

However [MENTION=18265]LadySeagull[/MENTION] is bloody brilliant getting parking fines wiped out and hopefully she will be along shortly.

Good luck

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wife has just received a PCN from Falmouth saying that she overstayed the paid time. She paid for 2 hours as per the signage but that also said that Blue Badge Holders get an extra 1 hour free but Premier Parking cameras didnt pick my Blue Badge up. I shall obviously appeal but unfortunately as we left within the 3 hours I didnt even think to take a photo of the signs just in case. I dont want to have to drive to Falmouth just to take a photograph to prove a point but will if needed.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Wife has just received a PCN from Falmouth saying that she overstayed the paid time. She paid for 2 hours as per the signage but that also said that Blue Badge Holders get an extra 1 hour free but Premier Parking cameras didnt pick my Blue Badge up. I shall obviously appeal but unfortunately as we left within the 3 hours I didnt even think to take a photo of the signs just in case. I dont want to have to drive to Falmouth just to take a photograph to prove a point but will if needed.

Come on BG, you of all people know the process. You won't be paying it ! Premier Parking are easy to beat anyway. You don't need a photo.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Regardless of blame, £100 for a parking charge is just criminal. Is there no limit to what they can charge? I mean - can they make it $1000 if they want to?

No, I believe the fine must be paid in £. Unless, of course, we are going to the AU $ after we break off from the EU to stabilize our currency.

el punal

Google Falmouth car parks. One of the sites, Cornwall.gov, gives a list of all the car parks with all the information regarding stay and charges. You should then have enough info to challenge the charge.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Google Falmouth car parks. One of the sites, Cornwall.gov, gives a list of all the car parks with all the information regarding stay and charges. You should then have enough info to challenge the charge.

I have sent off the appeal and if it is rejected I will then do that to fight it but I am hopeful that they will see sense and cancel the PCN

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I have sent off the appeal and if it is rejected I will then do that to fight it but I am hopeful that they will see sense and cancel the PCN

They won't though will they? I didn't think these private companies ever accepted an appeal. As far as they're concerned if they accept your appeal they'll get no money. If they reject your appeal, they might get some money. They're not interested in the rights and wrongs of it.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
A few run away when they see a carefully written appeal from the registered keeper, not saying who was driving (e.g. HIghview at Tesco do a runner as soon as they see the MSE template appeal from the parking forum).

But not IPC firms, they keep bothering you like a nasty itch and many try suing. Happy to help anyone with court case defences against this scam. IPC firms do not offer any appeal worth trying.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They won't though will they? I didn't think these private companies ever accepted an appeal. As far as they're concerned if they accept your appeal they'll get no money. If they reject your appeal, they might get some money. They're not interested in the rights and wrongs of it.

They may do as it is so clear cut and obviously the cameras do not take into account that a Blue Badges may be displayed to permit the extra free hour.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Is there anything actually being done to STOP these ******** issuing tickets in the first place? They are clearly unlawful arent they so how are they allowed to keep doing it? Shouldnt an ombudsnan shut em down or someone sue them back? Am i missing something

I recieved a lovely letter from ukpc with a photo of my car parked (quite well if I do say myself!) claiming 'vehicle owner/driver left site'. No picture of alleged deed just photo of my car and then of it again 10 mins later. They are requesting £100. With basically no evidence they are surely just trying it on. Happy to admit my car was parked for just over an hour in a 3 hour free parking site.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I have just done that for the MARITIME Car Park and it shows nothing about charges just many reviews of people who have been fined £100 for various reasons and many claiming the extra blue badge free hour. It doesnt give any indication that the free hour is permitted, although I am 100% sure it was.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here