Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jurgen Locadia season-long loan to Hoffenheim

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Jurgen Locadia has completed a loan move to Bundesliga side Hoffenheim ahead of the closure of the European transfer window.

The Dutch attacker moves to Germany on a season-long deal, for an undisclosed loan fee.

Head coach Graham Potter said, “Since I arrived, Jurgen’s trained really well and been great to work with, but I also appreciate it’s been a frustrating time for him ever since he signed for the club for a number of reasons.

“He wants to play week in, week out and this move presents a real opportunity for him to go and get some games and goals in a top European league.”

Locadia joined Albion in January 2018 and made an instant impact by scoring in his first two appearances, but his early days were hampered by injury.

Despite limited opportunities, the Dutchman scored back-to-back goals last December, helping the club to a 1-1 draw with Arsenal and 1-0 win over Everton.

In all, Locadia has made 43 appearances for Albion, and the last of his six goals came in last season’s FA Cup quarter-final at Millwall.

Potter also explained that the progress made by a number of the club’s younger players was taken into consideration in accepting the loan offer from Hoffenheim.

He added, “We’re in a good position for Jurgen to make this move, on the back of the great progress some of the younger players have made over the summer, and in particular Aaron Connolly and Steven Alzate.

“Those two have been excellent throughout pre-season, not looked out of place with the first-team squad and showed on Tuesday night that they are capable of producing for us at first-team level.

“Equally as a club we feel it’s important for us to ensure we are providing those younger players with a visible pathway that includes playing opportunities with the first team.”

Thank god. Didn't take long for Potter to work him out. Last chance saloon for Ali-J now. Deliver or move on.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Excellent news. Didn't take GP long to see as much as he needed to see, unlike some clowns on here who were advocating giving Big Jurg eight or nine games so they could finally arrive at the same conclusion :wave:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I am a defender of Locadia and have been for all his time here, however I was less than impressed by his efforts against Saints, ignoring the missed goal scoring chance..We needed him to run himself into the ground given that we were a goal down and down to 10 men. To me he looked uninterested and lazy :shrug:

I was basing my opinions on what I saw last Saturday as well. Nothing more nothing less. Couldn't give a **** if he can operate a record player or not he didn't work hard or run fast or achieve anything remotely constructive for the team.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
For the best, I think.

As I do with any and every Albion player, I wanted it to come good for Big Jurg, but it hasn't really happened and tbh he's been here long enough now for it to have done so.

Excited to see if Connolly, Alzate and others can now step up.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
That is rubbish as Locadia is fairly quick not a sprinter but no slouch.
That was when he fancied it-most of the time he simply couldn't be bothered, the rest of the time he was on the bench.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I never have a go at the players, I always back them on the pitch, but Locadia just isn’t good enough. That’s not his fault, that’s the backroom’s fault.

Has the physical presence of a good player, and I can see what we saw in him, but he can’t do it in the top division.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Thank god. Didn't take long for Potter to work him out. Last chance saloon for Ali-J now. Deliver or move on.
Unlike Locadia, I think AJ might be good enough for the PL. It's a bit late to think about moving him on this window so he has until December to justify his place in the squad.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Halle-phlucken-looyah.

Reading between the lines of what GP says, in short it means, he’s not good enough at this level, and we’ve got cheap better young ready-now talent coming through that is far more deserving of a shirt.

Cannot believe we found a team to take Locadia. He joins a group of complete flops along with Kemy Agustien, Turienzo, and many others I’m sure you will all add to....

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Halle-phlucken-looyah.

Reading between the lines of what GP says, in short it means, he’s not good enough at this level, and we’ve got cheap better young ready-now talent coming through that is far more deserving of a shirt.

Cannot believe we found a team to take Locadia. He joins a group of complete flops along with Kemy Agustien, Turienzo, and many others I’m sure you will all add to....
Not only a team to take him but a loan fee is involved. It isn't clear if it's them or us paying that fee..

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Interesting that Potter explicitly talked about the development pathway. It’s now almost certain that Connolly is going to get Premier League game time at some point. Especially as Potter has subbed off at least 2 of his front 3 in every game this season

Up front it’s 3 now to start (and on average 2 to come on from)

Murray
Gross
Maupay
Trossard
Andone
Connolly
Ali J
Mooy
(possibly) March
(and eventually) Izquierdo

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Not only a team to take him but a loan fee is involved. It isn't clear if it's them or us paying that fee..

Good point, we could be paying them a crapload to take him.

I will never forget his first game, when he had a free header at the back stick, and he went to thrust upwards and jump, and he had no vertical lift whatsoever, his feet barely left the ground, and the ball flew harmlessly over his head when it should as a minimum have been a header on target. At that point I thought, well, he can’t head a ball, so he’s obviously not a number 9, so let’s see what he is. Wind forward 20 months and we know what he is.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Excellent news. Didn't take GP long to see as much as he needed to see, unlike some clowns on here who were advocating giving Big Jurg eight or nine games so they could finally arrive at the same conclusion :wave:

Exactly. Some people seem to think the right thing is ALWAYS to "give him time" to various utterly crap players who are clearly not up to it. Sometimes it's just right to admit it hasn't worked out. Locadia isn't good enough, it's as clear as day. I don't think it's fair to blame the recruitment team, we didn't pay vast amounts by today's standards. It was a punt, but for every Locadia we've had a Shane Duffy - some work out, some don't.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Too much rejoicing here.

What we have to hope now is that he does well there, gets a few goals, then either Hoffenheim or someone offer a fee which doesn’t represent too hideous a loss on the original purchase.

If, in the (unlikely) event he score 15+ goals and does brilliantly, then we have the option to re-integrate him here.

If he goes there and does badly, he’s back here, with no real prospect of getting anything for him and we’ll probably have to manage having a grumpy disruptive payer in the squad.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Unlike Locadia, I think AJ might be good enough for the PL. It's a bit late to think about moving him on this window so he has until December to justify his place in the squad.

AliJ's confidence is shot to pieces. The fella needs to play away from the glare of the PL. If PSV have shown any interest then he should definitely go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here