Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England vs Australia Third Ashes Test - Leeds 22nd-26th August 2019

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Honestly not sure I've heard a noise like that in cricket before.

It was like the cheer for a vital goal, but even more so!

It must have been amazing to have been there. IMO each boundary was met with 1-0 goal like celebration, as each six went over it was met with louder and louder noise - but it was also the silence as the bowler was in his run up that was just as "loud" if you know what I mean.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Tbh, as brilliant and remarkable an innings it was, if we do not win The Ashes I will feel a bit 'meh'.

A day that will be remembered in decades to come, but I want Little Urn.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Quite remarkable....thought he might have allowed himself at least a little acknowledgment to the crowd (Ashes 100 after all), but absolutely nothing. Also loved a few of the slow-mo replays - eg when he only just cleared the fielder at long on for one of the sixes.....he watched the ball intently all the way.......then just bowed his head as he realised it had carried...can just imagine his saying 'thank **** for that' under his breath..........

It was like he was playing the game and watching it at the same time. When he was looking down at the ground each time the bowler was running up to bowl to Leach and then lifting his head up at the last second reminded me so much of my feelings with every important penalty we take, can barely watch but can't miss the actual kick of the ball.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Tbh, as brilliant and remarkable an innings it was, if we do not win The Ashes I will feel a bit 'meh'.

A day that will be remembered in decades to come, but I want Little Urn.

We're allowed to celebrate a sporting moment, whatever the outcome.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I did.

I've moved on to Old Trafford.

I've celebrated many a sporting moment, Seb Coe, Steve Ovett, England beating Belgium, Bruno winning the heavyweight title, and Lewis and Eubank, Botham in 81, it goes on and on, but they all lost eventually. Sport is about the moment.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I've celebrated many a sporting moment, Seb Coe, Steve Ovett, England beating Belgium, Bruno winning the heavyweight title, and Lewis and Eubank, Botham in 81, it goes on and on, but they all lost eventually. Sport is about the moment.

Exactly. That was Sunday, it's now Tuesday. On to Old Trafford and winning The Ashes.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Exactly. That was Sunday, it's now Tuesday. On to Old Trafford and winning The Ashes.

I'm with you. Let's not go overboard because we won a test match out of nothing. Brilliant to celebrate Stokes' innings and an unlikely win, but it's going to mean diddly squat if we don't win one of the next 2 and ensure we at least draw the other.

Botham in '81 is remember because we went on to win the Ashes. Doubt it's such a legendary moment if we didn't then win at Edgbaston and Old Trafford.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
ben.JPG

Buy money anyone?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'm with you. Let's not go overboard because we won a test match out of nothing. Brilliant to celebrate Stokes' innings and an unlikely win, but it's going to mean diddly squat if we don't win one of the next 2 and ensure we at least draw the other.

Botham in '81 is remember because we went on to win the Ashes. Doubt it's such a legendary moment if we didn't then win at Edgbaston and Old Trafford.

We won't win the Prem, but we'll go bat shit if we beat a top six side, or anyone to be fair, no different.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Doesn't include the results, but biggest differences :

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/283985.html

I did hear on TMS that this was the lowest first innings total by England in a winning game for 130-odd years (only one lower, ever)

The match that comes to mind is in Durban during the series we won against South Africa in 2004/05.

We were bowled out cheaply and South Africa took a lead nearly 200.

I tuned in the following afternoon to find Trescothick and Strauss batting and I assumed there had been a rain interruption. I was wrong. They put on not far off 300 and after a mini collapse England continued to make hay (Thorpe ton) and eventually won the match.

Possibly Thorpe's last major series for England.

Thanks chaps. I'm being very specific, so it has to be where the winning team bats last (i.e. chasing the game) and then goes on to win – a load in that list are either drawn matches or the second innings being following on from the woeful first one. I succumbed to a bit of searching, but nothing in this list: https://sportsshow.net/10-biggest-differences-between-a-teams-first-and-second-innings/ illustrates what I'm talking about.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks chaps. I'm being very specific, so it has to be where the winning team bats last (i.e. chasing the game) and then goes on to win – a load in that list are either drawn matches or the second innings being following on from the woeful first one. I succumbed to a bit of searching, but nothing in this list: https://sportsshow.net/10-biggest-differences-between-a-teams-first-and-second-innings/ illustrates what I'm talking about.

I'll stick the question on one of the forums....there's bound to be some stat geek out there that knows or has access to it......................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here