Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Locadia Today

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Like you said, I’ve also been a critic which I stand by because he hasn’t been good enough, but I will disagree a bit about yesterday in that while not pulling up trees, I thought he genuinely had a really good game. He took some defensive first touches in front of me pulling the ball out of the air that really had me clapping like a seal in a circus. He had some great vision too and didn’t really give the ball away. I heard someone say his finish was regulation however March has been in that 1 on 1 situation 2 or 3 times and missed on each occasion.

I completely agree with you as well that he’s obviously knuckled down and working his socks off to get in this team. Which goes for other players too, such as Dale whose inclusion may have caused a few groans with Bissouma not in, but he had one of his best games in an Albion shirt for me, and put to bed any notion of he only passes backwards or sideways with a fine range of passing on display.

As [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] has said, we may have only 1 point from the last 4, but there are plenty of positives to look forward to Saturday and beyond.

It was noticable how good his first touch was yesterday. Earlier in the season - and Saints away springs to mind - his first touch was ABYSMAL. So either he's been working on it or there really was a lack of application and effort.

My take on it has a little more too it than that, although I'm happy to be wrong.

In 4-3-3 I don't see the onus being 'get the ball out wide'.
For me, at least, the team seems a lot more central playing more in the middle third of the pitch.

The outside 2 have license to be next to Murray with overlapping full backs (nothing new there) covering some of the (missing) winger play.

A little off the main topic but did anyone else notice Montoya in the first half gallop in to about 40 yards of clear space down the right wing only for us to play a short pass the other way. He went absolutely Radio Rental :lol:

Point being though, if you're not going to use conventional wingers than a) find your overlapping full back and b) play Andone instead of March. Again, I go back to my point that it's all very well having a 4-3-3 but we've got one point from two games using it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In an unrelated point (honest) does anyone else remember when Kemy Agustien (currently playing for Barrow) had a good game away at Leeds?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm delighted to be goaded! It's as good a feeling when a player you have doubted comes good for you as sticking by a player who you hope will and does.

Since I've known you I reckon you could be 1 -1 on your judgement of strikers. :whistle:

I've just NSC searched Locadia.

Reading my posts on the fella it's fairly safe to say none of them would have been written were it not for the anti Big Jurg biased allowed to permeate through the board.

#ContrianWins(today)

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Point being though, if you're not going to use conventional wingers than a) find your overlapping full back and b) play Andone instead of March. Again, I go back to my point that it's all very well having a 4-3-3 but we've got one point from two games using it.

Which is all we expected really! Whatever system we used.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In an unrelated point (honest) does anyone else remember when Kemy Agustien (currently playing for Barrow) had a good game away at Leeds?

Tough crowd.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Everybody is doin' a brand new dance, now
(Come on baby, Jurgen Loca-dia)
I know you'll get to like him if you give him a chance now

He came all the way from dutch club PSV
And at the time he cost us a club record transfer fee
So come on, come on, Jurgan Locadia's for me.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
For a big lad his one touch passing can be very crisp.

On a related note, I was delighted with much of our play, especially in the second half. Dick Emery was a bit cocky subbing off some of his better players expecting us to crumble anyway. Maybe we made them look a bit meh because (brace yourselves) we are actually quite decent. And Jurgen played his part.

This management game is not for me. The patience, vision, long-game playing, is all anathema to an impulsive thrill seeker. The fact that I'm now actually pretty comfortable with the 'buy em, leave them on the bench, submit them to months of intensive brain washing, then let the come out to play' strategy is I suspect simply a reflection of the fact that I'm getting old. Sometimes I hanker for the days of 'McWhoHe? (McGhee) OUT!!' and 'We're DOOMED I tell thee!!' but ...mostly .... I don't. :lolol:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
It was noticable how good his first touch was yesterday. Earlier in the season - and Saints away springs to mind - his first touch was ABYSMAL. So either he's been working on it or there really was a lack of application and effort.

A little off the main topic but did anyone else notice Montoya in the first half gallop in to about 40 yards of clear space down the right wing only for us to play a short pass the other way. He went absolutely Radio Rental :lol:

First half against Bournemouth, we were great, second half because of the sending off, we lost.
Against Arsenal we were great, apart from the first 20 minutes and got a draw against a top 6 club and could have won.

I think we can try again.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Everybody is doin' a brand new dance, now
I know you'll get to like him if you give him a chance now

He came all the way from dutch club PSV
And at the time he cost us a club record transfer fee
So come on, come on, Jurgan Locadia's for me.

Works only if his name is pronounced 'Locker-deeya'. Which it isn't.

You're not E.J. Thribb (age 17 ½) are you? ??? :wink:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Thought he played the role he was given very well. Some lovely bits of work helping to escape arsenals high press and a few good crosses.
Even without the goal I rated his performance.
Scored the one time he popped up in the CF position, and when he fluffed a chance at a second did a heartening thumping of the turf with his head on the ground.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
He played well yesterday. It was nice to see home come good as I was ready to accept that he wasn't going to fit in. Whatever has caused the change - whether it's attitude, hard work, tactical or just time - it's come at the perfect moment. We know what he can do (and I think there's more to come) and he's become a proper member of the team/squad. A genuine option rather than a fingers crossed lets hope...

I really hope he kicks on from here and becomes an important player for us.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Must admit not been a fan of Locadia, but yesterday he proved me wrong really good performance in a strange role allocated by CH.

Shame its taken a year for the boy to get his chance, in my opinion CH has tainted his enthusiasm for BHA, £17M and hasn't had a chance until the last two games.

MOM for me yesterday just hope he will stay in Jan. A nice slice of humble pie coming on strong! :xmas:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Must admit not been a fan of Locadia, but yesterday he proved me wrong really good performance in a strange role allocated by CH.

Shame its taken a year for the boy to get his chance, in my opinion CH has tainted his enthusiasm for BHA, £17M and hasn't had a chance until the last two games.

MOM for me yesterday just hope he will stay in Jan. A nice slice of humble pie coming on strong! :xmas:

Bit harsh on yourself there. It’s hardly humble pie when first half decent game in dozen or more appearances and or a year as you say. It’s ok to criticise a player when poor / praise when good. Doesn’t make it humble pie, just honest. Trouble is there are millions who cannot see beyond black or white. They’ve no time for grey, let alone colour on their spectrums. And there are quite a few on a spectrum

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Think he played the same position for PSV.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
He played well yesterday. It was nice to see home come good as I was ready to accept that he wasn't going to fit in. Whatever has caused the change - whether it's attitude, hard work, tactical or just time - it's come at the perfect moment. We know what he can do (and I think there's more to come) and he's become a proper member of the team/squad. A genuine option rather than a fingers crossed lets hope...

I really hope he kicks on from here and becomes an important player for us.

Actually being given an opportunity and not just 5 minutes at the end of a game is what has changed.
As is sometimes the case not down to management team just the fact injuries have left us short out wide.
His cross field passing was superb yesterday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here