Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How do you feel about the Potter revolution thus far?

How do you rate the Potter revolution thus far?

• Very happy

Votes: 123 22.9%
  • Happy

Votes: 264 49.3%
  • So-so

Votes: 127 23.7%
  • Unhappy

Votes: 20 3.7%
  • Very unhappy

Votes: 2 0.4%

• Total voters

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
BBC report is pretty damning

"Same old story for Brighton this season. They are a completely different side under Graham Potter than they were under Chris Hughton despite having most of the same players - demonstrated by Hughton's old favourite Shane Duffy being left on the bench.

But they struggle in front of goal. They had so much of the ball but Neal Maupay's ninth-minute effort, where he tried to beat Martin Dubravka at his near post, and Yves Bissouma's low drive in the 86th minute were the only saves the Newcastle keeper had to make.

Premier League debutant Steven Alzate was bright up front and Irish youngster Connolly was lively when he came on. The substitute was so unlucky to see his shot acrobatically cleared away by Schar millimetres away from crossing the line.

But it was all style and little substance and they were hanging on at the end. A better team than Newcastle would have put them away.

The football was attractive - all three centre-backs were involved in moves all over the pitch - but the fact remains that they have won once in the league, the same as Newcastle."

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Looks like another prediction i will get right. Next two games will result in zero points and in the bottom 3.

I’d have thought you’d have been hoping this thread slipped away rather than bouncing it. That’s our 6th good performance in a row - we look fantastic. The results will come and we’ll bounce it for you :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

"Same old story for Brighton this season. They are a completely different side under Graham Potter than they were under Chris Hughton despite having most of the same players - demonstrated by Hughton's old favourite Shane Duffy being left on the bench.

But they struggle in front of goal. They had so much of the ball but Neal Maupay's ninth-minute effort, where he tried to beat Martin Dubravka at his near post, and Yves Bissouma's low drive in the 86th minute were the only saves the Newcastle keeper had to make.

Premier League debutant Steven Alzate was bright up front and Irish youngster Connolly was lively when he came on. The substitute was so unlucky to see his shot acrobatically cleared away by Schar millimetres away from crossing the line.

But it was all style and little substance and they were hanging on at the end. A better team than Newcastle would have put them away.

The football was attractive - all three centre-backs were involved in moves all over the pitch - but the fact remains that they have won once in the league, the same as Newcastle."

I hate that so many Palace fans work for BBC Sport :wink:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Great performance to a certain point.. If it's not our inability score it's the other bugbear which is defending. We played a woeful Newcastle team who were there for the taking lets not get away from that fact.. That's for 5 shit teams we have played and its only produced one win. If you cannot beat these sort of teams then it will only lead in one direction. RELEGATION.

Ok. Fair enough. You're right of course that we need to find some goals soon or things will look very nervy. But there's a long, long way to go and I really don't think it's all doom and gloom like many of your post match posts (not just today) suggest. Despite the points total so far there really is a lot to be positive about just now. The fact that within 6 games of the new season we are able to dominate an away game like that considering the first two seasons in the prem we played like we were scared shitless away from home (even against the dross) says bucketloads. Youth players finally being given a chance and looking pretty bloody good.

It's really not time to get the knives out just yet.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

It’s not a bad report and this is the negative way to look at it. My thoughts are, if we get through this season without going down we will be here to stay for many years under Potter. This is the difficult first season though, and there’s no obvious relegation fodder.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Loving it.
Enjoying watching us play again, football on the front foot. Once we start to take the chances we are going smash someone.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
It’s not a bad report and this is the negative way to look at it. My thoughts are, if we get through this season without going down we will be here to stay for many years under Potter. This is the difficult first season though, and there’s no obvious relegation fodder.

I'm still encouraged by what we're seeing. Likelihood is we are going to be in the relegation zone in a couple of weeks though and winless in 7. Is that going to affect confidence? Need to start taking chances obviously.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Ok. Fair enough. You're right of course that we need to find some goals soon or things will look very nervy. But there's a long, long way to go and I really don't think it's all doom and gloom like many of your post match posts (not just today) suggest. Despite the points total so far there really is a lot to be positive about just now. The fact that within 6 games of the new season we are able to dominate an away game like that considering the first two seasons in the prem we played like we were scared shitless away from home (even against the dross) says bucketloads. Youth players finally being given a chance and looking pretty bloody good.

It's really not time to get the knives out just yet.

Sometimes people can see things differently to others. It's not a case of getting the knives out but from actually watching games. Potter doesn't convince me.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Loving the way we play but we don’t have any punch up front. Not GP’s fault but can’t see anything but a close call with relegation due to not scoring enough goals! Club need to rethink their recruitment policy and if letting 2 forwards go without replacing them is a good idea!

But almost everyone thought Locadia was shite.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Bollocks, that

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Loving it.
Enjoying watching us play again, football on the front foot. Once we start to take the chances we are going smash someone.

I said this during the game. The Watford result wasn’t a freak - we were just more clinical. We could easily be sitting 2nd in the league and we are without doubt top 10 in terms of style at the very least. We’re into something very special here and will cause a few upsets this season.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
No. That's now neutrals see it.
Journalists who have no doubt written about the Premier League for years. They know their stuff and know the tell tale signs of a struggling team.
We need to start picking up points.

Yeah, you're right. Maybe I've got my rose tinted specs on. But i really do think there's lots to be positive at the moment still, and that report suggests doom and gloom

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Yeah, you're right. Maybe I've got my rose tinted specs on. But i really do think there's lots to be positive at the moment still, and that report suggests doom and gloom

I feel like that we are inches away from being a seriously good team atm, but i'm also hesitant to just hope things will improve. This is a ****ing tough league and you have to take points when you can.
I'm loving the way we're playing, but we were pretty impotent up front today.

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
I feel like that we are inches away from being a seriously good team atm, but i'm also hesitant to just hope things will improve. This is a ****ing tough league and you have to take points when you can.
I'm loving the way we're playing, but we were pretty impotent up front today.

Agree but if we continue to struggle to score its going to be a very different outcome.

-gully-

The Flux Capacitor
Nov 7, 2009
Shrewsbury
This is why teams have to pay big money for clinical strikers or scratch around hoping to unearth a gem. Seems a bit silly to have not got at least one more in if we knew we were not convinced with Andoné and Lacardia.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Jamie Rednapp this evening spoke like most of the ill-informed neutrals before the game, i.e. “be careful what you wish for”, “mediocre results so far”, etc, etc. After the game, having watched Brighton actually play for 90 minutes, it was “Brighton are a very good side, they will pick up a lot of points this season”. Well, that made me shed a little tear. The contrast between now and the contempt in which we were held with for most of last season, is massive. The goals will come. I think I’m a little in love with Graham Potter.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Swansea under Potter scored 10 goals in their 10 first games last season.

I understand people want goals but when you have to make massive changes to how the players approach the games psychologically while also implementing an entire new way of building up the play, pressuring the opponent and keep possession instead of always finding the safest/easiest solution... you just dont have the time yet to perfect how to act around the opposition box.

Someone probably says now "but that should be prioritized first because you need goals to win".

Well - no, its not the highest priority. If you have a lot of possession, movement and pressure, there's always a decent chance of finding a goal or two, but if you have no possession, bad movement and dont know how and when to apply pressure, you can spend every training session dealing with what to do in the opposition box and it will be no use since you'll never get that far.

Yes I know it doesnt work like that in Football Manager or FIFA or in your instant reward-ADHD smartphone, but in reality building a new way of playing includes a lot of pieces and not all of those pieces will be in place immediatly. Yes, this season is going to be a struggle, but in the end this way of working long term will pay off as Brighton will improve while a lot of teams with a more desperate attitude wont develop and perhaps even stagnate.

People are making way too many conclusions about the whole season just from watching the first six games. The team will improve, players will improve, Potter will improve. You can see the type of football Brighton will be playing this season but its too early to say "we'll go down as we cant score" or "player X is shiet because he's not been good thus far".

Of course, if we after matchday 10 or so sit with only one win, it would be justified to be a bit nervous and Potter's seat could get a bit heated, but at this point - people should really chill.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here