Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Whats the best place for a breakfast in Old Shoreham area?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Pandering to all the bl00dy flats and houses they're building everywhere turning it into a middle class trendy town by the sea.

Heard Chris Evans say a few years ago that it's one of his favourite places. Made me want to move away....

It's horrible what they are doing to Shoreham. Remodelling the whole town to accommodate trendy little wankers with yoga mats under their arms, cockapoodles (we called them mongrels in my day) and sets of children in bike buggies.
The town is getting swamped.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It's horrible what they are doing to Shoreham. Remodelling the whole town to accommodate trendy little wankers with yoga mats under their arms, cockapoodles (we called them mongrels in my day) and sets of children in bike buggies.

Just wait until the developments they are building on the Old Shoreham Rd and opposite Macdonalds open ...traffic is going to be lovely (as if it isn’t already)....be interesting to know where the OP went

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Plenty of reasonably good choice in East Street.

Carats, like most traditional cafes is low quality fodder, and not cheap either. The cafe near the Duke of Wellington is better if that's what you're after.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Just wait until the developments they are building on the Old Shoreham Rd and opposite Macdonalds open ...traffic is going to be lovely (as if it isn’t already)....be interesting to know where the OP went

Yep, and Ropetackle 2. And the Monks Farm development that will steal all the beautiful countryside between Shoreham and Lancing. It's going to be utterly insane.

How sad that the ropetackle arts centre is likely to have to close down but the "Ropetackle" apartments are steamrolling along the Adur riverside.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yep, and Ropetackle 2. And the Monks Farm development that will steal all the beautiful countryside between Shoreham and Lancing. It's going to be utterly insane.

How sad that the ropetackle arts centre is likely to have to close down but the "Ropetackle" apartments are steamrolling along the Adur riverside.

Yes i saw that...would be very short sighted of ADC to not fund that in some way

JonnyCLately

Jan 16, 2018
Shoreham by sea

That sounds like me! That said I've lived here all my life and it is better than thirty forty years ago, without question

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Whats this about, as a Brightonian its the main reason for my forays into Shoreham about half a dozen times a year.

They do excellent food as well, pre booked pre concerts.

If you do not want a cafe, The Bridge pub opposite the ropetackle does excellent home cooked food (not sure it does breakfasts), and you can sit out the back and watch the world go by on the river as well.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Whats this about, as a Brightonian its the main reason for my forays into Shoreham about half a dozen times a year.

They do excellent food as well, pre booked pre concerts.

If you do not want a cafe, The Bridge pub opposite the ropetackle does excellent home cooked food (not sure it does breakfasts), and you can sit out the back and watch the world go by on the river as well.

Love The Bridge. Dog friendly too.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

I agree. And as the other poster said, they're going to redevelop the whole riverside from the old Howard Kent place basically upto Frosts.

Whilst they have made East St nicer, smartened up a lot of the riverside and the new footbridge is a big improvement, all this development is just nuts. The infrastructure (schools, roads, water and sewage etc..) just aren't built to cope with the extra thousands of people who will be living here.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I've lived in central Shoreham most of my life, we're kind of sheltered from development but the balance is all wrong, all the old work places and industry have gone and the population has nigh on doubled.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The famous and beautiful Shoreham skyline of the church spire with the Downs behind is disappearing as taller and bigger building crowd in. I notice the new yacht clubhouse is way taller than the old one. It now dominates the skyline as you cross the footbridge, another chunk of the Downs view gone forever.

That new clubhouse was funded by the developers of the riverfront. They paid for it to be moved forward so they can build yet more uniform walkways and white slab borders.
One developer was quoted as saying “we are going to give the residents of Shoreham a brand new lifestyle”. Go **** yourself.
One of the main developers of the riverfront is called, get this.....Solid Sky.
If that doesn’t tell you what their intentions are...

I walked past that huge tall luxury tower block they are building on Worthing seafront. The hoarding has pics of people on the top floors, lying on sunchairs on their balconies over looking the sea.
I would estimate there will be two maybe three days of the year the wind will be calm enough to even open the balcony doors at that height.
****ing idiots.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The famous and beautiful Shoreham skyline of the church spire with the Downs behind is disappearing as taller and bigger building crowd in. I notice the new yacht clubhouse is way taller than the old one. It now dominates the skyline as you cross the footbridge, another chunk of the Downs view gone forever.

That yacht clubhouse looks awful already, don't understand the requirement for these tall buildings. What is being built on the old Civic Centre ?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That yacht clubhouse looks awful already, don't understand the requirement for these tall buildings. What is being built on the old Civic Centre ?

They are building flats on that bit of land.
Developers will only build tall buildings now. And councils give them permission because the more you cram in, the more council tax comes pouring in.
That new one on Brighton road , Mariners Point or whatever they call it, have you seen how tiny the rooms and balconies are? Ridiculous. The whole West side of that building is sinking into the river though, that’s why they haven’t finished it.

The whole reason the council came up with this old legend about the 100 year storm was to fund building of the flood defences so developers could get insurance to build. Up on the west side the defences just stop when they reach land that cannot be built on because there is already existing houses there. Shysters.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
They are building flats on that bit of land.
Developers will only build tall buildings now. And councils give them permission because the more you cram in, the more council tax comes pouring in.
That new one on Brighton road , Mariners Point or whatever they call it, have you seen how tiny the rooms and balconies are? Ridiculous. The whole West side of that building is sinking into the river though, that’s why they haven’t finished it.

The whole reason the council came up with this old legend about the 100 year storm was to fund building of the flood defences so developers could get insurance to build. Up on the west side the defences just stop when they reach land that cannot be built on because there is already existing houses there. Shysters.

More unaffordable housing, eventually Shoreham will become a ghost town

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
All the new build concrete and chipboard shit will be gone in 30 years. The proper old houses will live on

I can't wait for the posh sheds on the old Hunting Hivolt site to blow away. And/or sink. Our garden shed is better quality

The irony of that site is its underwater . . . Not from the river, but the stream running down oxen avenue, overmead, the meads, through the Swiss Cottage pond. There's a clue in the names. I wonder how many backhanders went through Tim nice but dim and the local councillors.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
All the new build concrete and chipboard shit will be gone in 30 years. The proper old houses will live on.

I've done work on the houses and flats in Sussex Wharf (on the beach) and the Orchard Gate development in the old hospital grounds and the quality of the workmanship is just awful. Really really bad with the cheapest crappyiest materials and cladding. And the costs are just nuts...

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Couldn’t have even dreamt of moving out of Shoreham when I was growing up. Delighted I moved to Worthing now.

Shoreham is so far up its own arse now, it’s staggering. Give it another 5 years and you won’t be able to move without bumping in to someone who thinks their lactose intolerance makes them interesting and who swears by natural remedies because they always help clear up Rupert's Sniffles when he’s poorly.

Shoreham; a town of 15 pubs & 1 pool table between them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here