Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Presumed Innocent by Scott Thurow. Slow starter but very well written and gathers pace well

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
55FD5D15-F42E-4856-8BED-F40864057A5E.jpeg

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
William Boyd - A Good Man In Africa

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About The World - And Why Things Are Better Than You Think By Hans Rosling - a must read for anyone in a position of influence, power in government or private industry

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Edge: Leadership Secrets from Footballs’s Top Thinkers by Ben Lyttleton.

Finding the bits in there about Potters time at Ostersunds really interesting.

Mr Cleansheets

Jun 7, 2017
View attachment 114782

Read Pillars of the Earth years ago - can't believe I only just got round to this. Epic.

I honestly could not understand the fuss over POTE. Started well but was way too long, repetitive and VERY predictable. I am just amazed it is so popular.

Then again, people keep reading the crap that Dan Brown has been pumping out since The Da Vinci Code, so why should I be amazed?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I honestly could not understand the fuss over POTE. Started well but was way too long, repetitive and VERY predictable. I am just amazed it is so popular.

Then again, people keep reading the crap that Dan Brown has been pumping out since The Da Vinci Code, so why should I be amazed?

Very popular crap though. One man's crap etc....

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

I've not read any of the Dan Brown books but surprised you'd put POTE and its sequels in the same category. Not sure what you mean by predictable, it isn't designed to have massive plot twists or anything of the like. I think he does a great job of recreating the time and place in particular. Each to their own.

Mr Cleansheets

Jun 7, 2017
I've not read any of the Dan Brown books but surprised you'd put POTE and its sequels in the same category. Not sure what you mean by predictable, it isn't designed to have massive plot twists or anything of the like. I think he does a great job of recreating the time and place in particular. Each to their own.

Predictable in that he set up the same problem and resolution to that problem multiple times. How many convenient fires were there?

As I said, I really liked the set up and atmos - if he'd shortened the book by about 150 pages I'd probably remember it a lot more fondly. In truth I wasn't comparing POTE with Dan Brown's post Da Vinci drivel (especially Inferno, my god what rubbish) but more the popular phenomenon.

This is what I thought of Inferno https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1087231296

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Predictable in that he set up the same problem and resolution to that problem multiple times. How many convenient fires were there?

As I said, I really liked the set up and atmos - if he'd shortened the book by about 150 pages I'd probably remember it a lot more fondly. In truth I wasn't comparing POTE with Dan Brown's post Da Vinci drivel (especially Inferno, my god what rubbish) but more the popular phenomenon.

This is what I thought of Inferno https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1087231296

:lol:

I was completely unaware that there was any sort of comparable hype between Pillars of the Earth and the Dan Brown books. But then, that might be because I was 4 when Pillars of the Earth was published!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just finished Black Summer by MW Craven. I smell a TV mini series on its way....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here