Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Lawn / Grass problem ?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Have you got an even closer up photo? It looks like it could just be a case that your mower's blades are very blunt, and the white bits are where the grass blades have been bruised. Have you checked the blades lately? Do you use a cylinder of rotary mower? My guess is a rotary. Can you post a photo of the under neath of your mower showing the blades if it is a rotary. If it is a cylinder mower, you need to adjust both sides so that the cutting unit just brushes the bottom plate evenly all the way along its length. There should be plenty of advice on this on-line.
When you moved in, was the grass really long, and did you shave it off initially? It does look like, in your last photo, that it could be stalky bits. As suggested by a previous poster, shave and scarify and start again!
I look forwards to your reply!

[MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] and others, thanks. The mower was new in May, yes rotary - a robot. Grass was longish prior to this and was cut with conventional rotary to approx 55mm.

From the descriptions mentioned I am leaning towards the meadow grass, but will get a closer up and post.

Cue comments about lazy bu**er :)

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
If it is as Jack straw said, and I think he is, then use spring time rake to lift course grasses before mowing and it will weaken them.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
This first photo is GOM's.
The second is Annual Meadow Grass. It's not an AMG problem!
It's dead leaf-sheaths and dead flower stalks. Nothing to worry about. This discolouration will eventually just disappear. It seems you have a Couch Grass lawn!!
To explain, if you have an ornamental grass e.g. Pampass Grass, in the spring you should cut it down to the ground. However, you will have last seasons flower stalks although cut short, still visible. When it grows again, the new leaves will appear first, but you've still got the remains of the old stalks.
Basically, this is the problem with GOM's lawn but in miniature. I would just ignore it and it will go away if mown regularly.

Attachments

• Not AMG.JPG
    Not AMG.JPG
    294.5 KB · Views: 160
  • AMG.JPG
    AMG.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
[MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] and others, thanks. The mower was new in May, yes rotary - a robot. Grass was longish prior to this and was cut with conventional rotary to approx 55mm.

From the descriptions mentioned I am leaning towards the meadow grass, but will get a closer up and post.

Cue comments about lazy bu**er :)
...and you were so quick at school!

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
This first photo is GOM's.
The second is Annual Meadow Grass. It's not an AMG problem!
It's dead leaf-sheaths and dead flower stalks. Nothing to worry about. This discolouration will eventually just disappear. It seems you have a Couch Grass lawn!!

From that piccie, deffo not AMG. Stalks are tough, sheaved in tight white 'skin/leaves' top to bottom but with a thin inner light green heart.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
...and you were so quick at school!

At an age where I like nothing more than watching others or other things do the work :) It is very therapeutic watching the little thing meandering around the grass (won't call it a lawn anymore) whilst supping a beer or a wine.

....and don't ask what it's favourite beer is :wink:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
From that piccie, deffo not AMG. Stalks are tough, sheaved in tight white 'skin/leaves' top to bottom but with a thin inner light green heart.

I've edited my previous post about four times, so you may wish to read it again to get the latest version?!

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
I've edited my previous post about four times, so you may wish to read it again to get the latest version?!

Have re-read. The house is a new build so the grass was laid by the developer (turf). At the moment the garden is a complete green (and white) blank canvass with nothing having been done to it other than cutting so far.
I will try and post a real close up and pick a few stalks as well, probably tomorrow a.m.

Really do appreciate the knowledge and insights from everyone.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Have you got an even closer up photo?
When you moved in, was the grass really long, and did you shave it off initially? It does look like, in your last photo, that it could be stalky bits. As suggested by a previous poster, shave and scarify and start again!
I look forwards to your reply!

Closer up shots [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] and anyone else if this helps identify the grass

IMG_20190707_125436-min[1].jpg

IMG_20190707_125551-min[1].jpg

Last edited:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Closer up shots [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] and anyone else if this helps identify the grass

View attachment 112548

View attachment 112549

Confirms all what I've said before. Old grass flower stalks. Nothing to worry about. Will just disappear in time. It would be interesting if you could post a photo in another couple of months to show if it has disappeared and has been smothered by new grass growth or not. My money is on that you will be wondering what all the fuss was about!

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Confirms all what I've said before. Old grass flower stalks. Nothing to worry about. Will just disappear in time. It would be interesting if you could post a photo in another couple of months to show if it has disappeared and has been smothered by new grass growth or not. My money is on that you will be wondering what all the fuss was about!

Thank you, I'm sure you are right about this (how could you possibly not be !). It wiIl be interesting to see what happens. I will set my little mowing friend a little lower.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Thank you, I'm sure you are right about this (how could you possibly not be !). It wiIl be interesting to see what happens. I will set my little mowing friend a little lower.

Set it as low as possible for one cut only, then raise it back to 50mm. That will cut all the white bits off and they'll just rot down and disappear whilst feeding the roots. Your "new" lawn should show no white after that.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here