Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter move signals Brighton's exciting change of direction

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Didn't Potter say in one of his first interviews that he does not expect many transfers this summer? Am I the only one who saw this or am I going mad?

“I’m not expecting a massive amount. [of signings] There are some good players here, a lot of good work has already been done.
“Any football club will look to use the window to try to improve, and that’s a normal process, but my focus has always been on trying to help the players who are already here to improve.
“It’s the old cliché - it’s a clean slate. I’m looking forward to meeting everybody, getting to understand what they’re about, what qualities they bring to the group on and off the pitch. But clearly every window you want to try to help the team to get better.”
https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/17652561.graham-potter-hails-fantastic-opportunity-at-albion/

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
“I’m not expecting a massive amount. [of signings] There are some good players here, a lot of good work has already been done.
“Any football club will look to use the window to try to improve, and that’s a normal process, but my focus has always been on trying to help the players who are already here to improve.
“It’s the old cliché - it’s a clean slate. I’m looking forward to meeting everybody, getting to understand what they’re about, what qualities they bring to the group on and off the pitch. But clearly every window you want to try to help the team to get better.”
https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/17652561.graham-potter-hails-fantastic-opportunity-at-albion/

Which is not really we're signing nobody, is it?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Oh dear! At least we have a reasonable chance of staying up now. Under Chris the chance was near to zero.

Get behind the club, not the ex Manager. FFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wasting your time with that one. He's still convinced Hughton was doing a great job.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Oh dear! At least we have a reasonable chance of staying up now. Under Chris the chance was near to zero.

Get behind the club, not the ex Manager. FFS.

He'd already done it twice, so hardly zero.

I think it's possible to hold more than one view here, that we can improve under Potter, that we also might have done under Hughton, and still get behind the club, no?

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
... Mr Potter comes to the Albion with a CV that only has one bullet point:-

Get the ball forward quickly ...

Am I interpreting the ‘persona’ graphic correctly ... as it suggests - to me - that Swansea do not score highly with regards ‘fast attacking’ football (?).

34D532E2-77B8-42F7-A890-7D15A0553BCB.jpeg

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Excellent article and exciting times ahead. :cheery::cheery:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He'd already done it twice, so hardly zero.

I think it's possible to hold more than one view here, that we can improve under Potter, that we also might have done under Hughton, and still get behind the club, no?

Absolutely. Many of us were thinking that, with most of our £100M spent wisely, Chris would get the team playing more like we did when romping around in The Championship (though not winning as often, obviously). Tony Bloom clearly thought differently . . . . . so, the king is dead, long live the king.
I can't get over how spiteful some of the Hughton-outers are getting now - he was a good manager for us, but yes, he and the team did go on a very bad run at the end. No-one's denying that, but some people are starting to sound like Norwich supporters now. I wonder how many of them were (quite rightly) deriding Norwich supporters only a few months ago.
Here's hoping the Potter regime turns out to be as successful as TB hopes!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Going down.

Oh stop it. I normally agree with much of what you post on football and politics but this relentless negatvity is achingly dull, like a Smiths B side that they cranked out on a day when Morrisey was even more depressed and Marr was in the pub. We just don't know what's going to happen. It could be Sami. It could be Gus in League One. But first and foremost it will be Potter and he needs to be given a chance. I'd hate to see us struggle next season because the fans were already on his back in the first game. That would be a pointless self-fulfilling prophecy..

I can't get over how spiteful some of the Hughton-outers are getting now - he was a good manager for us, but yes, he and the team did go on a very bad run at the end. No-one's denying that, but some people are starting to sound like Norwich supporters now.

It's not spiteful to point out how poor we were in the last 6 months with things like actual facts and statistics. Goals scored, shots on targets, number of long balls, all these stats were provably worse in the last six months of the four and a half years. Of that term the first four years were wonderful. There were plenty of threads on here celebrating Chris, quite rightly during that term. I still say he was our best manager since Mullery, I still say he could probably get any of the sleeping giants stuck in The Championship up in a season or two. I still say he's a truly inspiring person and a great human being. But, if you can say that then you simply have to be able to point out that the football sucked since New Year. Bloom was never going to bin him off for gross misconduct like he had to do with Poyet because CH is not that type of person. Therefore the decision was made purely on a footballing basis. Pointing that out when challenged on it is not disrespectful.

On the way

Oct 9, 2016
North Herts
Absolutely. Many of us were thinking that, with most of our £100M spent wisely, Chris would get the team playing more like we did when romping around in The Championship (though not winning as often, obviously). Tony Bloom clearly thought differently . . . . . so, the king is dead, long live the king.
I can't get over how spiteful some of the Hughton-outers are getting now - he was a good manager for us, but yes, he and the team did go on a very bad run at the end. No-one's denying that, but some people are starting to sound like Norwich supporters now. I wonder how many of them were (quite rightly) deriding Norwich supporters only a few months ago.
Here's hoping the Potter regime turns out to be as successful as TB hopes!

100% all of this.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here