Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber and Ian Holloway on Talksport

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Quite pointed from Holloway, as expected, on the sacking of Hughton.

Barber's response largely hinging on a belief that Hughton didn't get the best out of the (new) players he had.

For me that's a worrying statement from Barber, how many chances did CH give AJ? He was dog turd even March looked a better player.

Bissouma looks a decent talent probably needs to get his fitness levels up, season under his belt will come on leaps and bounds.

Bernardo looked our best player at times so if Potter can improve him, fantastic..

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Barber's response largely hinging on a belief that Hughton didn't get the best out of the (new) players he had.

Any implication that due to this, and presumably his belief that Potter will, we won’t be particularly active in the summer window?

Please say no.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
For me that's a worrying statement from Barber, how many chances did CH give AJ? He was dog turd even March looked a better player.

Bissouma looks a decent talent probably needs to get his fitness levels up, season under his belt will come on leaps and bounds.

Bernardo looked our best player at times so if Potter can improve him, fantastic..
March is a good player.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
how many chances did CH give AJ? He was dog turd even March looked a better player.

What is that statement supposed to mean? :shrug:

Solly March is an excellent footballer, with a value at least as high as we paid for Jahanbaksh. Why should he not 'look a better player'?

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
What is that statement supposed to mean? :shrug:

Solly March is an excellent footballer, with a value at least as high as we paid for Jahanbaksh. Why should he not 'look a better player'?

It means we didn't break our transfer record to get March, yes yes for Christ sake March is an excellent footballer, Hughton got the best out of March but failed with AJ it just doesn't make sense, in fact its nonsense.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The decision to get rid of Hughton is increasingly looking like a financial one.

Ie cutting our losses and selling Locadia and Ali J and recruiting better replacements = approx £40 million
Paying up Hughtons contract, compensating Swansea and appointing someone who MIGHT improve our misfiring 2018 summer signings = under £5 million

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
You aren't going to get the best out of your attacking players if you don't play any attacking football and ask 9 men to defend for 90% of the game.

The fact that March looked as good as he did, playing in the setup we had, just goes to show how good he really is.

Imagine Solly in an attacking side, this could be a great season for him.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
I'm no expert, but I would hope we wouldn't break our transfer record for our own player :lolol:

Okay, Barber's statement was "We felt CH didn't get the best out of the new signings"

So we broke our transfer record for a player who wasn't any better, in fact worse than what we already had, then scapegoat CH because AJ was dog turd, brilliant..

P.S. The jury is still out on AJ but you can only judge on what you see, CH gave him enough chances to shine.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I admire your apparent confidence that they might well come good. Time will tell of course, but for me the signs have not been great.

I agree, they haven't. But a big part of the problem for AJ seemed to me to be the fact that he had trouble making his mind up and making quick & correct decisions. I'm tempted to think that part of the problem was that his instincts and the way the team was set up didn't match up. He was deeper than he was used to, with very little support ahead of him. I don't think asking him to keep and hold up the ball in and around the midfield, and focus on defense as well as attack, helped him at all.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Okay, Barber's statement was "We felt CH didn't get the best out of the new signings"

So we broke our transfer record for a player who wasn't any better, in fact worse than what we already had, then scapegoat CH because AJ was dog turd, brilliant..

P.S. The jury is still out on AJ but you can only judge on what you see, CH gave him enough chances to shine.

The only way he’s going to get more out of AJ on the wing is give him a bike...he has little pace......number ten?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

How many times do we have to go over the AJ situation? He was MISS USED by CH to fill a round hole as a square peg.

Watch the difference for a number of players under CH v GP

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
We have a good team that lacked self belief towards the end of the season. I would think GPs first job will be to get the squad playing with confidence. If there is a criticism of Chris is that he struggled to get the players playing with confidence. He just got more and more defensive in his tactics.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here