• Mind your own sodding business

Votes: 4 5.6%

• Total voters

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have been listening from day 1, when the low budget meant quite a lot of freedom for them to try things out and take a leisurely approach. The first football phone in, presented in a charming way by Danny Baker, had me hooked. Even his successors were tolerable. The MP bloke read from a script but he wasn't a cock. But I must confess that during the present season the argumentative cult of Doc (dick) Savage and the charmless confrontational Chris ('do you know who I am?') Sutton has become increasingly self-indulgent and unlistenable. Sutton baiting the journalist wing man on Sunday night is boring and irritating in equal measure.

I had been getting a bit tired of Danny Baker on Saturday morning, and tended to drift off after the sausage sandwich game, but it was OK. Now he's gone he's been replaced by some shrill yong man with nicely combed hair and an infectious enthusiasm. Infectious, as in brings me out in a cold sweat, with the liklihood of vomiting and boils.

Midday at the weekend was of course wall to wall footy. Now we have the close season it has gone all yoof, with three 20 somethings, no doubt wearing those disgusting tight trousers I find so homo un-erotic, having bantz about players bling 'and that'. **** me, burn my ears off with a red hot knife.

I have been at home doing some exam marking lately and find that much of the morning is spent with mumsnet, interviews with victims of domestic control, etc. Not a pleasure.

I have always liked Mayo and Commode (not his real name so I'll spell it how I like) but this is repeated in longer format later in the evening when R5 seems to go 'unmanned' like a pop-up radio station in the loft of someone's council house in Croydon in the 90s. I find it so.....disappointing.

And of course we have wall to wall Brexit. Nicky Campbell, who I have masses of time for, conducting the latest Brexit phone in: "Do you think Boris will be the best leader to deliver Brexit?". Yes. No. I don't know. Leave me alone FFS!

So last night I tried out a bit of six music. I have listened in the past but tried as I might, world music (an old man playing blues) hosted by Cerys Mathews had me wanting to drown muself in bucket of lukewarm grits. And the Tom Ravencroft of yore sounded like a man in tight trousers that had been sponsored by the NME (get you free pair of NME tight trousers by emailing us at 'tighttrousers@sixmusic.bbc.co.uk')....

However, yesterday was a real pleasure, and I am now considering putting 6 music as my default channel.

Anyone else sick of R5, and feeling like putting them on 'ignore', and if so, where are you thinking of parking your radio arse?

This thread is useless without a poll so I'll post one shortly. If I can remember how.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
WTF, talk about poacher turned game keeper

I refuse to vote on a poll started by the absolute hypocrite OP (I feel an ignore being placed on me now) :wink:

Anyway there is no option for “I occasionally listen on the drive to and from the football but it’s mostly rubbish” so couldn’t vote even if I lowered my standards and gave in.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Six music gets lost up it's own arse from time to time but probably the best of the BBC radio stations.

R5 now has Elis James and John Robbins, on around now I think, who I think are fantastic but the weirdest choice for R5.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Not gonna change anytime soon. The BBC's entire strategy for 5 and 6 is around getting under-34s to listen. Interesting that the Totally podcasts mention "25 to 55" in their calls for advertising - presumably why their presenters/guests are less of an endurance test.

Sutton is good to work with but the put-on way he says stuff just to be contrary is tiresome.

6 can keep you sane most days but you have to suspend your pretension sensor occasionally. You're right, there's usually a breaking point with Cerys where she starts introducing a swan playing Philip Glass favourites on a saw in a barn live from the Siberian forests etc. Mary Anne Hobbs' voice is doing my head in at the moment, I'm sure she's just parodying it these days. Feel like if Hard-Fi and Liam Gallagher were farting out whatever their latest crap is in front of her she'd still describe it as exquisite in the tone of a presenter having the greatest orgasm ever. It's a slippery slope that leads all the way to Jo Whiley.

If you want the recordings of Daniel Kitson on Resonance FM recently give me a shout

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
.....Now he's gone he's been replaced by some shrill yong man with nicely combed hair and an infectious enthusiasm. ......

......I have always liked Mayo and Commode...

How does nicely combed hair manage to transmit on a radio broadcast? Do I need a DAB radio to reap this benefit which I don't currently have? If I only knew what I was missing out on I would have purchased one sooner.

Ditto Mayo and Commode. I always enjoyed their film review section on a Friday afternoon.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Six music gets lost up it's own arse from time to time but probably the best of the BBC radio stations.

R5 now has Elis James and John Robbins, on around now I think, who I think are fantastic but the weirdest choice for R5.

They are made for Danny Baker's slot.
I too love there show, but only listen on podcast, so it shouldn't matter, but for reasons unknown I'm somewhat vexed by their current timeslot.

Shaun Keveny is by far the best thing on 6 Music although I still have timeslot issues with him too.
I liked the silences!!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
R5 has gone down massively since the move to Manchester.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have keenly felt the loss of Danny Baker on Saturday morning, that got me through the first 2 hours at work with ease, the replacement is a total bore so I don't listen. I have tried different stations and there are some good shows here and there but nothing I want to stick with.

As posted earlier, 6 Music is right up its own arse sometimes Radcliffe and Maconie the worst of the presenters " 6 Music " is the station but they just prefer to drone on inanely about some pointless fact talking endlessly..... Mary Anne Hobbs sounds like she is barely awake while doing her show and Cerys Matthews plays some dire artistic crap and rambling poetry.

TalkShite is out as I have never been in the market for a Van or Plasterboard in order to " Get the Job Done " … All the presenters are at varying levels of Tiresome at best so they are out.

So now I listen to some stuff on Radio 4 and LBC , it's not brilliant but will do when bored and at work.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Listened to them for the first time today, I lasted about 15 minutes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and anyone listening to TalkSport, other than Max and Barry on Sunday morning, should be showered in battery acid...

....only joking.

Not joking!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I was a huge fan of Radio Five before it became all politically correct and boring. I agree with Harry, sometimes it sounds like an elongated version of Woman's Hour. Nothing wrong with programmes aimed at the fair sex, but I liked the mix of news and sport. Sadly, for me at least, it is trying to go all hip and appeal to a much younger generation. Maybe they'll learn wonderful stuff about whatever is happening on love island or something instead of who is vying to become tory leader and by default PM. But the latter isn't appealing to much of the younger voters, hence the paradox of supposed huge opposition to Brexit amongst the youngsters, but so little turnout that the youth didn't affect the result much. I hate Radio Five now although I don't know where else to turn, it seems to be caught between what it was (a fine news and sport channel) and what it will become (some version of Radio One without music). And Peter Allen was an incredibly good journalist imo.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Midday at the weekend was of course wall to wall footy. Now we have the close season it has gone all yoof, with three 20 somethings, no doubt wearing those disgusting tight trousers I find so homo un-erotic, having bantz about players bling 'and that'. **** me, burn my ears off with a red hot knife.

Are you referring to Elis James and John Robins (plus their producer) who are 2 comedians (Robins won the Edinburgh award last year) who started 2 weeks ago?

I loved them in their Radio X days and they have basically moved the same show across.

They don't do a football based show so not sure if that's who you are referring to?

Either way, they spent the first show reading the BRILLIANT angry comments coming in about their show. Very entertaining.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Are you referring to Elis James and John Robins (plus their producer) who are 2 comedians (Robins won the Edinburgh award last year) who started 2 weeks ago?

I loved them in their Radio X days and they have basically moved the same show across.

They don't do a football based show so not sure if that's who you are referring to?

Either way, they spent the first show reading the BRILLIANT angry comments coming in about their show. Very entertaining.

I haven't heard them and as such haven't formed an opinion as to their talent or lack, but I was interested in the Twitter comments about that show. There were very many highly critical comments from people who regarded them as a complete waste of the BBC's money, but the ones which struck me were those from people who are fans, they seemed extremely sensitive to criticism aimed at the comics - almost to an alarming degree and often gave the impression that they couldn't cope with the fact that others didn't like their material.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here