[NSC] New THREAD?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
You could try answering this for me. It was an animated pub discussion the other night.

Wrecking. That thing Cornish people used to do in the 18th century or whenever, when they’d go to the local cliffs and beaches at night with flaming torches etc, lure passing ships onto the rocks and then make off with the salvaged cargo etc.

Say you’re the captain of said ship, heading up or down the Channel with your precious cargo. What makes you think, ooh look, loads of flickering lights, let’s change course and go over THERE, because that would make sense, wouldn’t it? Hmm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The naughty Cornish would light fires on a stormy night to let ships know that they are not far from the mouth of the River Camel and the safety of Padstow, knowing that there is a sandbank at the mouth of the River between Rock and Padstow.
The ship would follow the fire and run aground allowing the Cornish to pillage the ship of its goods.
The name of that sandbank is 'The Doom Bar'.
Hence the ale.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
The naughty Cornish would light fires on a stormy night to let ships know that they are not far from the mouth of the River Camel and the safety of Padstow, knowing that there is a sandbank at the mouth of the River between Rock and Padstow.
The ship would follow the fire and run aground allowing the Cornish to pillage the ship of its goods.
The name of that sandbank is 'The Doom Bar'.
Hence the ale.

Wow my useless thread was good for one reason.......that little nugget of Cornish history. I can't stand Doom bar as a beer but have always thought it a great name for a beer.....now I know the history behind the name, cheers.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Wow my useless thread was good for one reason.......that little nugget of Cornish history. I can't stand Doom bar as a beer but have always thought it a great name for a beer.....now I know the history behind the name, cheers.

Thread worked out perfectly. You invited any old nonsense; I provided it - and Raleigh Chopper has then concluded proceedings with a piece of info that’s actually interesting, and worthy of a Fridat Night Drinking Thread. Cheers all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here