Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] 42 years ago today

D

Deleted member 2719

Met Bruce Foxton in a hotel lift just before their gig at Wembley Arena, about 1981 (?). Very small bloke.

“Good luck for tonight.” I said.

“Cheers mate.” he replied.

There, you see, I can hold informative and quite revealing conversations with stars of stage and screen. They look at me and think “What an erudite and knowledgable fellow he is!” - how true. :drink:

I met him on the golf course several times, he was just moody, maybe he had a bad game every time! Or maybe he was skint as this was in the late 90's he had probably spent the lot!
You must have caught him in his flush time!

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
My favourite ever band. All Mod Cons is a thing of real beauty. The Place I Love and Fly are two of my personal faves.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
My favourite ever band. All Mod Cons is a thing of real beauty. The Place I Love and Fly are two of my personal faves.

The lyrics for Fly are just fantastic...

The way that sunlight flits across your skirt,
Makes me feel I'm from another world,
To touch your face in the morning light.
I hope you're always gonna be around.
The times I struggle to understand why,
The ancient proverbs like who am I?
Why am I here and what have I done?
I see the answers place my trust in you.

Went to see For The Jam - again - the other week in Worthing. 40 year anniversary of All Mod Cons. Onto Setting Sons next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did indeed, and still have the ticket stub. I have posted about it in the past. 'Punky Steve' off his tits in the queue before the gig. Really exciting. Were you there?

Afraid not the top rank Dec 77 was my first concert tbh, starting working in Brighton May 77 and became mates with people who were into the punk/new wave and footie scene.Fantastic times and hard to beat:moo:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
David Watts

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I was saying to Mrs HS just the other day that I wish I had all my old Stubbs! [emoji3525]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm the same, I've kept all my football tickets but binned my gig tickets many years ago.
When I see threads about bands come up I can never remember the exact year I saw some bands.
I definitely saw The Jam at the Brighton Centre and I know the support band was The Vapours, but I can't remember the year.
My guess 1980.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I'm the same, I've kept all my football tickets but binned my gig tickets many years ago.
When I see threads about bands come up I can never remember the exact year I saw some bands.
I definitely saw The Jam at the Brighton Centre and I know the support band was The Vapours, but I can't remember the year.
My guess 1980.

The Vapors were support on the Setting Sons tour. So was most likely 15 December 1979.

Screenshot 2019-04-29 at 20.49.19.png

I spent some time earlier this year trying to remember all the gigs I've been to and then googled to try and find the dates - or at least the first time I saw bands/artists. I created a spreadsheet (sad, I know) !!

Here's the link for The Jam gigs.

The Vapors are supporting the 'From The Jam' gigs later this year when they do the 40th anniversary of Setting Sons tour.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
My guess 1980.

Bruce Foxton managed the Vapors. One-hit wonders weren't they?

I quite liked some of the acts on Weller's Respond label. The Questions had their moments.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Afraid not the top rank Dec 77 was my first concert tbh, starting working in Brighton May 77 and became mates with people who were into the punk/new wave and footie scene.Fantastic times and hard to beat:moo:

Brilliant. That must have been immense. I was at that one, too. I was a veteran of several years of prog rock, the occasional bit of Doctors of Madness, and that, by then, and the excitement (and threat of danger - yet there was never any actual trouble, up to early 78 anyway, after that another story) of punk gigs was intoxicating.

Yes, brilliant times. We used to see Wrist Action a lot in 77. I was quite friendly with the bass player (Tommy was a bit less chummy). Shared a flat with Tracey P ('Tracey Spenser') who spent time singing in the Molesters and the Smarties (and shagging practically every bloke in the Brighton and Hove area with a pulse - Lol). Knew the male singer in the Chefs (not punk but part of the scene). Saw the Piranhas dozens of times. Daddy Yum Yum, Joby and the Hooligans.....moved on when it got too Oi: 'Elvis is Dead' by Peter and the Test Tube Babies is amusing, but I was getting into darker moodier music and soon preferred stuff like Swell Maps, MX80, Comsat, Chameleons, Modern Eon, along with the obvious (Siouxie, the Cure, Joy Division, The Fall, The Birthday Party, The Sound). Happy days indeed.

Punk liberated me though. Me and my mate Nils went down to Saints one year around then to watch The Albion, and stood on the terrace with our funny hair and drainpipes and DMs and make up (black eye liner) and sneers and nobody came near us (and we were, combined, 18 stone of piss and crisps, but we probably looked frightening - my mum used to tell me I looked 'fierce' Lol!. If she were alive to see me today she'd turn in her grave).

All the best!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Vapors were support on the Setting Sons tour. So was most likely 15 December 1979.

View attachment 108520

I spent some time earlier this year trying to remember all the gigs I've been to and then googled to try and find the dates - or at least the first time I saw bands/artists. I created a spreadsheet (sad, I know) !!

The Vapors are supporting the 'From The Jam' gigs later this year when they do the 40th anniversary of Setting Sons tour.

I was going to scan my ticket stubs and post them on NSC (like you do), then found I have neither of my two Genesis at the Dome (70p) tickets and was so despondant I thought '**** it'. :lolol:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

View attachment 108520

Excellent, many thanks.
I was 1 year out, I was still at school and saw lots of bands in Brighton back the .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here