Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Words we mustn't utter or type or probably even think

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
It's interesting iv'e seen the word Queer mentioned as some sort of blasphemy , i bumped in to one of my who i assumed still gay mates last weekend and he seemed a bit miffed that i was not up with the times knowing he was now Queer not gay ! i admit it's not the first thing i ask alexa in the morning but Queer according to Taffy Sean , my mate is now the preferred terminology , is this true ? or have i been set up in such a way that he knew at some point i couldn't resist asking :lolol:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Bloke at work refers to his wife as 'The Darl' which makes me want to punch him.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
My best mate is black, the PC brigade would go in to meltdown listening to us. Very obviously all done in jest between two mates with no malice intended whatsoever. I'd still never use the N-word even with him though, it's simply not acceptable.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
an odd one is terms that refer to mental disability, cretin or retard for example are out as too offensive. but idiot is perfectly acceptable insult.

'Idiot' is very general, non specific. Reference to foolishness or general cuntishness.

'Retard' makes my skin crawl. My original records at the kids home I spent the first two years or so of my life in have references to me saying 'showing signs of retardation' with lots of other dismissive dated terminology. But it's hearing someone call another a retard that makes me want to punch their lights out.

Another one, again, personal experience, is 'backward'

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
My best mate is black, the PC brigade would go in to meltdown listening to us. Very obviously all done in jest between two mates with no malice intended whatsoever. I'd still never use the N-word even with him though, it's simply not acceptable.

Coon, Jungle Bunny, Fuzzy Wuzzy, Sambo, Golliwog, Spook. I don't know you or your friend, but I hope these are alien to you too. Any jesting with racist terms between friends should be avoided, as a bit of banter between mates has sparked riots when overheard by the wrong person, in the wrong place, and if it gets to be something you do casually, it can slip out in the wrong place, and be overheard by the wrong person. Have some banter, but try and stay away from racial insults.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
an odd one is terms that refer to mental disability, cretin or retard for example are out as too offensive. but idiot is perfectly acceptable insult.
And physical disability. The term spastic is no longer used. It's now cerebral palsy. Even the charity The Spastic Society changed its name to Scope in 1994.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Coon, Jungle Bunny, Fuzzy Wuzzy, Sambo, Golliwog, Spook. I don't know you or your friend, but I hope these are alien to you too. Any jesting with racist terms between friends should be avoided, as a bit of banter between mates has sparked riots when overheard by the wrong person, in the wrong place, and if it gets to be something you do casually, it can slip out in the wrong place, and be overheard by the wrong person. Have some banter, but try and stay away from racial insults.

My middle son “Sam” has always been called Sambo. I understand it is considered racially offensive...but he’s white.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
'Idiot' is very general, non specific. Reference to foolishness or general cuntishness.

'Retard' makes my skin crawl. My original records at the kids home I spent the first two years or so of my life in have references to me saying 'showing signs of retardation' with lots of other dismissive dated terminology. But it's hearing someone call another a retard that makes me want to punch their lights out.

Another one, again, personal experience, is 'backward'

They also use to use the term "feeble minded" which was a medically recognised term and there even used to be hospitals and institutions specifically for the "feeble minded" but mainly in the US. It was a term strongly associated with the so called science of eugenics

syracuse-state-institution-for-feeble-minded-children.jpg

institution-for-feeble-minded-institution-for-feeble-minded-ENDCRE.jpg

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012

Of course I'd never use any of those words, and we know who we can joke in front of and who not to.
He's black as is another one of our mates, there's an Iranian, a French guy, Indian guy, we all have banter with one another about loads of things others may deem offensive, but it's the manner in which it's done, we all know it's a joke and nobody ever oversteps the mark.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

As weird as it sounds, those were my nicknames at a school I went to in northfleet in Kent.

We had just returned from south aftrica and seemly I had turned into a person of colour!

It was highly hilarious seemly and even a person of colour in my class called me sambo!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Policeman, fireman. Etc etc. Woman is fine I think ??? Maybe I should man up.

I have never understood that...if firemen are firefighters( which was an American thing wasn't it) why aren't the police called criminalsfighters?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here