Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
The government will ask for an extension now, the eu will grant one on the condition there is a 2nd referendum, I think we’ll see 3 options, leave with no deal, leave with the deal offered and remain.
And with what we now know, and the absolute cluster**** the government have made of the whole thing, Remain will win.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Good idea. My family's fracture with the land of my fathers is complete. Can't the civilised half of Britain keep Stamford though?

Agree Stamford is a nice place and should be allowed in, nice place...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Probably best chance of unity in the country and preserving the very existence of the United Kingdom is to go ahead with Brexit but keep a customs union and some level SM membership.

The benefits of leaving going it alone are hot air. The fact no Brexiteer on here has here has ever managed to provide examples of trade opportunities that exceed what we already have says it all

Time for the real British patriots in parliament to make their move

Unity is gone. It will take generations to fix this rift. And the country should never ever forget what the Tories have done to the United Kingdom and it’s citizens.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
She keeps insisting it’s voted on until she get me her way. Why not use the same logic and give us a second referendum?

Quite

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The government will ask for an extension now, the eu will grant one on the condition there is a 2nd referendum

I don't think that's true. They will grant an extension of a couple of months to get the deal passed but they won't grant it if May just wants to come back to negotiate another one unless she agrees to drop her red lines (or some of them).

They will grant a longer extension if there's a major development in the UK (a referendum or a general election) but it would have to be something significant like that.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If you are interested in dis-information in the online Brexit discourse this is excellent.

Brit or Bot? (@BritOrBot): https://twitter.com/BritOrBot?s=09

https://britorbot.org

On their site they have links to software to use to determine whether the reply to your tweet is from a human or a bot. Granted, some St Petersburg Trolls don't flag as bot, but Sergei is usually fairly obvious.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So it’s boiling down to ;

Crash out with no deal - absolute disaster - 15% chance

Abandon Brexit - Ideal for everyone- 50%

Extend and drag out - Not ideal but better than immediate crash out- 35%

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Unity is gone. It will take generations to fix this rift. And the country should never ever forget what the Tories have done to the United Kingdom and it’s citizens.

We are damaged goods now for sure and I'll struggle to forgive the Tories for the hell they've inflicted on our nation for the past 3 years.

A comprimise of a Norway style arrangement would allow things to move on and have some kind of functioning government. And hopefully track down the crooks behind Brexit

If May's deal gets through we're looking of 5 years + more of Brexit infighting. It really is the end of the beginning and the beginning of the end of the UK

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I’d boycott like a lot of others. Can’t just change the goal posts because they didn’t like the first result.
This is now a real movement developing... using the #noRef2 tag.... spread it around.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think remain would lose a second referendum. But whatever the outcome of all of this, the U.K. is dead in the water. Very few want to know and those that do are just trying to pick over the trade bones of a dead beast. The voters ignorance and the Tory greed has sunk us.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
She keeps insisting it’s voted on until she get me her way. Why not use the same logic and give us a second referendum?

So just to be perfectly clear, you have both been very vocal in your condemnation of using referendums to decide policy and instead have constantly said we should leave decisions to MPs and Parliament. Yet now you get a sniff of a referendum that could deliver a result you like you're suddenly in favour of them ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
For me, a brief summary of my main reasons would be regulatory and economic liberation, and long term, less bureaucracy. I was a child in the seventies so had no say, but I have always disliked layers of bureaucracy, including in the workplace. That's the way I am and I was always going to vote leave. No adverts needed.

Short term, there will be more bureaucracy but I expected that, just didn't expect this level of sabotage, subterfuge and incompetence.

But the very fact it has proved, and is still proving, almost impossible to extract ourselves - doesn't that ring alarm bells for you? It does me, and it doesn't make me think, OK, we'll get back in our cage then...

OK so bureaucracy seems to be your main issue. I'll give you an analogy. If I declared my home and garden an independent nation, I could free myself of all UK bureaucracy. However I would still have to negociate all issues where my world interfaces with the rest of the UK. I could sink a well for water (possibly) but in reality I would need no negociate a deal for all my utilities with all the independent companies. Would they cut me a good deal? Then there would be the toll to pay to use the local roads etc. My bet is that my personal bureaucracy would go through the roof if I decided to UKexit.

Let's step back. Where does most of my current bureaucracy emenate? Why, its the UK! Tax return, passport application/renewal, workplace health and safety and competancy assessments.....I can't actually think of a single thing of EU bureaucracy that directly affects me. And if we leave the EU, our trade paperwork will go through the roof as we will no longer be operating under the EU umbrella. Meanwhile the mountains of UK-specific paperwork (all the stuff I currently have to deal with) won't change after we leave. No, I am not sure why you have got a beurocracy bee in your bonnet. And I also am a child of the (60s and) 70s. I don't recall at all my dad moaning about the new paperwork blighting his life after we joined the common market.

Finally, why is it so hard for us to extracate ourselves? Guess what? It is because we cannot agree among ourselves how to leave. It is not because the EU is trying to stop us leave. When the idiot Dave Davies first met their negociators he turned up with no notes and said, basically 'what are you going to give us'.

Go back to my analogy - I decide to declare UDI for my home and garden. I write to the Home Office and say 'I am leaving the UK - what are you going to give me?'. Frankly I am surprised the EU haven't long ago said to the UK 'well, if you want to leave, just **** off then'. Really I don't.

I sometimes wonder whether for some the EU has become a psychological bogey man that has to be killed at any cost. I don't know why, and I just don't get any of this. :shrug:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So just to be perfectly clear, you have both been very vocal in your condemnation of using referendums to decide policy and instead have constantly said we should leave decisions to MPs and Parliament. Yet now you get a sniff of a referendum that could deliver a result you like you're suddenly in favour of them ?

Nope. As usual you’re not right . Referendums have their place. Not with matters like this though. I haven’t said all matters should be decided for us. Ever. Typical leaver, if you can’t argue with facts just bullshit. Poor show.

And we’he hardly now just got a sniff have we? It’s been talked about for years. Try and focus on the truth, all your lots’ fudging has what has got the U.K. in such a sad state. Time to stop. Have some self respect.

I don’t want a second refendum. I want a reversal. But if a second referendum gives us even a slight chance of staying in the EU, then yeah, bring it on. I think Reman would lose again though.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
This is now a real movement developing... using the #noRef2 tag.... spread it around.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Can someone explain, should there be another ref/vote/survey blah blah and Leave win again, where would that put these 'we want a second bash' merchants? They'd just find another way to sabotage a democratic process.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
[MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] the day before the referendum .............

'Let's just sit back and let democracy take its course'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here