Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant thread 2021

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Lovely steak at Baqueano on Western road on Friday. Very friendly staff to boot. Definitely recommend if you like a bit of Argentinian beef and a glass of malbec.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Long thread. Has Andalucia in Ferring made this thread? Can’t recommend the food highly enough. Fantastic Tapas and quality is top notch every visit. Not cheap but when was great food ever cheap?

It really is. Went a couple of weeks ago, never had a bad meal.

Ami in Worthing is excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 7, 2003
That's one of those places I keep meaning to go to but, for some reason, still haven't made it yet and I didn't know they had a seating area at the back either!

On the subject of Worthing eateries, anyone been to Level 1 - https://level1worthing.co.uk - yet? Seems a really good use of that otherwise redundant space.

Rincon De Pepe was good but not the best - certainly worth a visit though as with tapas, it can vary from dish to disk.

Went to level 1 the other Saturday lunchtime. Nice set up (it doesn't feel like you are sat on the edge of a car park / bowling alley) and good views out to sea on a hot day. Some table have shade, some not. Surprisingly, the seagulls didn't seem to be too much of an issue.

Not a huge choice up there. Bison provide the booze, there is Pizzaface, a burger place with limited range and Fika which does coffee and soft drinks but also lite bites. We had the breakfast burger (very good), and Mrs DCH had the tater tots which are not like the US ones (these are more like tapas style crispy potatoes) but big portion. Don't do what I did and order their passion fruit iced tea. I expected a long drink for £3 and got something which was probably only around 100ml.

Overall, it is somewhere different but not great value and much better options around the town.

Shopes

Jan 3, 2018
Does anyone have any recommendations for a restaurant in Brighton that serves great cocktails please?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Flint House is a great place for cocktails and food. I had an excellent Old Fashioned there.

Yeah good shout. Also the Salt Room who have a bar area to have them before you sit down.

Would have suggested Plateau, who used to have a really good cocktail barman, but alas they've lost some good staff to Brexit and can only serve up a simplified menu currently.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Does anyone have any recommendations for a restaurant in Brighton that serves great cocktails please?

If you can make it to Hove, Fourth & Church is better than all the other recommendations for both food and cocktails. Cracking wine selection too.

Jul 7, 2003
Rincon De Pepe was good but not the best - certainly worth a visit though as with tapas, it can vary from dish to disk.

Went to level 1 the other Saturday lunchtime. Nice set up (it doesn't feel like you are sat on the edge of a car park / bowling alley) and good views out to sea on a hot day. Some table have shade, some not. Surprisingly, the seagulls didn't seem to be too much of an issue.

Not a huge choice up there. Bison provide the booze, there is Pizzaface, a burger place with limited range and Fika which does coffee and soft drinks but also lite bites. We had the breakfast burger (very good), and Mrs DCH had the tater tots which are not like the US ones (these are more like tapas style crispy potatoes) but big portion. Don't do what I did and order their passion fruit iced tea. I expected a long drink for £3 and got something which was probably only around 100ml.

Overall, it is somewhere different but not great value and much better options around the town.

Forgot to say that there is also a seafood place up there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I do like a bit of Modern Toss……

Attachments

• 31A8BEB7-4A71-4B2C-B515-7CD6CAAF882A.jpeg
    31A8BEB7-4A71-4B2C-B515-7CD6CAAF882A.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 205

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I suspect that [MENTION=34109]Yes Chef[/MENTION] might be able to confirm that it's routine behind the scenes. Certainly used to be in retail.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
So I went to Burnt Orange last week, the new venture from the owners of The Coal Shed and The Sal Room. It's a got a completely different VIBE to both of those places, indeed it apparently switches up into a bar later in the evening. It's sharing plates/mmall plates/whatever you want to call it. You can see what they are going for and it will definitely be popular as the cooking is SOLID. I wasn't blown away by any of it, but the raw beef and polenta was really good and I enjoyed it all, I just was not overly sold on the place. The drinks were decent and nothing is too expensive (180 quid all in for 3 people in including three cocktails, a bottle of wine and a large glass of wine plus 12.5% tip) but I'm not going to rush back, as I just didn't like to style of the place. Too 'busy' inside and the outside bit looks fine but I'm not a fan of dining Al Fresco unless I'm on my holibobs.

Service okay and the place was packed on a Monday which was good to see. However, if I want this style I'll go to Flint House.

6/10 (possibly harsh). There's the review.

Edit: Oh yeah it's in the old Coach House premises FYI.

The Independent liked it

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...-restaurant-review-burnt-orange-b1892842.html

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I went to burnt orange last night, not my choice I’m not into small plates, I’ve been to Flint house and Fourth & Church and not overally enjoyed the experience even though the food is excellent just next felt like I had been out for a meal.

Last night however changed all of that. My partner and I went for the burnt orange experience and it was fantastic. The cooking was class excellent and the menu was very balanced. The place was full on a Wednesday night and really enjoyed the vibe in there. We Sat at the bar, although it I went again I would choose a table, not quite like a sitting at the pass experience. However as a result we did have incredible service speaking to the kitchen, bar staff and of course waiting staff. Cocktails were great too. Would highly recommend the El Toro. The set menu was £35 per head we also had a burnt lemon tart between us. Drinks we had 5 cocktails a glass of bubbles and a bottle of wine. Came to around £190 for the both of us.

I have been out a fair bit since restrictions have eased and this was by far the best and most enjoyable experience I’ve had in a long time. Would recommend.

Edit: just read the review above from the independent sounds like we had the same offering. Would agree with everything that is said. The pork Belly for those who have tried it at bincho is on a par if not better as a much bigger portion. Perfectly melt in the mouth chunks. Outstanding.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Jay Raynor has also been to Burnt Orange recently

https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...nge-in-brighton-delivers-on-its-smoky-promise

Solid review should see them busy for a while longer
I managed to get halfway through the article before I got bored with the waffle and speed read some of the rest. God, does Rayner go on or what? Absolute load of tosh, at least Grace Dent can do succinct.

Decided to ignore the rest of the review and go straight for their menu, sounds ok although the Hipster style pricing, which leaves the "£" off the price, makes most of the dishes look like they have been scored out of ten.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I managed to get halfway through the article before I got bored with the waffle and speed read some of the rest. God, does Rayner go on or what? Absolute load of tosh, at least Grace Dent can do succinct.

Decided to ignore the rest of the review and go straight for their menu, sounds ok although the Hipster style pricing, which leaves the "£" off the price, makes most of the dishes look like they have been scored out of ten.

I got as far as “ heat-blistered sardines with fried bread and an anchovy cream.” before thinking I HAVE TO go to this restaurant.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here