Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What is the oldest thing you have used "As new"?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
As we are in silly season for thread topics, let's have a go at this one. Just having a tidy up and wanted to protect some old magazines I got off of eBay. Just opened a sealed pack of Woolworth's punched pockets to put them in.

Minimum of 13 years is a very low bar to set. So what is the oldest thing you have essentially broken the seal on to use for the first time? A word of advice, don't try this with prophylactics. There are YouTube videos of people eating WWII MRE packs, old canned food etc. Again, don't try this at home kids. Ever bought a mint in box Star Wars figure from the 70s and ripped the packaging? I think James May did that with a Hornby train he bought at auction on an old programme.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
A 1973 Norton Commando ex-Production Racer, when bought in 1981 it was it in its component bits as Norton's of that era tended to be.

By the time I had spent a fortune on it, was better than new e.g. NO oil leaks even after a 120MPH thrash (miracle for a Commando)

Should never have sold it, but that's the case of loads of my Bikes

Not sure if this answers the original question but its what came to mind...

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Not quite the same, but kinda linked…

When we moved from Edinburgh to Dubai in 2011, we had a load of stuff from our house we didn’t know what to do with. So we rented a small storage unit and put in there. At the time, our plan was to stay in Dubai for a year or two max.

8 years later, we finally got round to getting the stuff out the unit.

It was like cracking open the seal to Tutankumen’s tomb and stepping back in time, to a frantic Saturday morning almost a decade earlier when we’d just shovelled all kinds of random bits in there and completely forgotten what any of it was.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Found a 16 year old pack of smoked mackerel fillets in the back if my mums fridge when clearing it out the other day. However I decided not to use them.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Found a 16 year old pack of smoked mackerel fillets in the back if my mums fridge when clearing it out the other day. However I decided not to use them.

On balance, I think that was wise. Fridge rather than freezer? :shit::sick:

Bought a kettle from Tesco in 1999, never even unsealed the box. Our current one broke and remembered this one! Plugged in working like a charm

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Bought a kettle from Tesco in 1999, never even unsealed the box. Our current one broke and remembered this one! Plugged in working like a charm

It’s as good as brew!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
1942 valve in my amplifier - 104 years. Unused in that time.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I have a 1999/2000 Brighton home shirt still in its original bag, never opened.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I cracked open a sealed and unused record deck stylus last year which was made in 1988. Played as new.

Aside from that, I have a boxed and unused Bang & Olufsen LX6000 'tube' television in my unit. One day I'll turn it on... probably on November 5th as it'll probably go up like a firework!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Then you are allowed back on this thread when you have opened it and worn it! :)

Ah, didn’t fully appreciate the terms of the thread, on this occasion I’ll bow out gracefully.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Ah, didn’t fully appreciate the terms of the thread, on this occasion I’ll bow out gracefully.

When I went on a nostalgia trip years ago, I bought a board game I remember having as a kid. What the eBay listing didn't say was that it was unused. I can tell as it is a game based on the old penny pushers in the arcade - all of the coins are still in their plastic surround like you get with Airfix kits. Needless to say, I haven't the heart to use it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here