Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Don’t they have the worst affected area in the U.K.

I think Wizards point was, it was never going to be a 2 week lockdown

It’s OK where I live in the north but there are some high rates in the south. The latest measures are more targeted than lockdown and we will have no travel restrictions.

72480478d090e4a6f2b405b1a83bda28.png

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Sounds like Sir Kier isn't happy going back to the regionalised approach, not tough enough, if he had his way we would stay in lockdown until the vaccine had been distributed.

Last edited:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I'm not sure telling his MPs to abstain on today's vote shows the best leadership?

His point was the prime minister is making false promises of regions sliding down the tiers in the next 3 months. He doesn't believe the tier 2 is nearly tough enough and if anything more regions should be in a tier 3 or even a tier 4 of national lockdown than the promise of tier 3 regions being able to go down to tier 2 anytime before spring at the earliest.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sounds like Sir Kier isn't happy going back to the regionalised approach, not tough enough, if he had his way we would stsy in lockdown until the vaccine had been distributed.

to be fair, if thats his preferred policy at least its a position. better than the many local leaders and MP who dont think its "fair" there are differences between their area and others.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
to be fair, if thats his preferred policy at least its a position. better than the many local leaders and MP who dont think its "fair" there are differences between their area and others.

I do fear for the mental health of many millions of people if Sir Kier had his way and Christmas was cancelled and we were all stuck in a full national lockdown until April, even if that was being 'honest' with the public. Not to mention the catastrophic impact that would have on an already ravaged economy.

Yoda

English & European
I do fear for the mental health of many millions of people if Sir Kier had his way and Christmas was cancelled and we were all stuck in a full national lockdown until April, even if that was being 'honest' with the public. Not to mention the catastrophic impact that would have on an already ravaged economy.

"Protect the NHS"? There wouldn't be an economy to fund & run the NHS the way he wants to go. :annoyed:

(and this is from someone that normally votes Labour)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
question if MPs vote against, do they want full lockdown, full easing or some other in between state that noone will agree on. it isnt really the sort of policy area they can simply debate over for couple of weeks for another round of voting. they also undermine the general proposition that restrictions are needed, if they are against it why should their constituents comply?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
question if MPs vote against, do they want full lockdown, full easing or some other in between state that noone will agree on. it isnt really the sort of policy area they can simply debate over for couple of weeks for another round of voting. they also undermine the general proposition that restrictions are needed, if they are against it why should their constituents comply?

I think they want the proper assessment released and proper support in place.

They wouldn’t be doing this unless a large number of constituents backed them doing it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Looks like the Welsh two week October circuit breaker, that some politicians said Scotland and England should’ve copied, wasn’t a panacea after all. It made a short term dent, but Wales now has worse metrics. Their rapidly worsening situation has given rise to all schools closing early for Xmas and pubs/restaurants can no longer serve alcohol after 6pm. Their circuit breaker had been viewed with envy, with a presumption that Wales would have a thriving economy in the 2 months prior to Xmas, after just two weeks medicine.

When the pandemic is done and dusted, I expect effective strategies will be agreed on an international basis. Much learnt in a short space of time.

7DB3540B-79A2-46E7-ACFB-C5A9CBC415DF.png

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Looks like the Welsh two week October circuit breaker, that some politicians said Scotland and England should’ve copied, wasn’t a panacea after all. It made a short term dent, but Wales now has worse metrics. Their rapidly worsening situation has given rise to all schools closing early for Xmas and pubs/restaurants can no longer serve alcohol after 6pm. Their circuit breaker had been viewed with envy, with a presumption that Wales would have a thriving economy in the 2 months prior to Xmas, after just two weeks medicine.

When the pandemic is done and dusted, I expect effective strategies will be agreed on an international basis. Much learnt in a short space of time.

View attachment 131082

I can’t recall now as it’s all merged into one, but wasn’t it Sage pushing for the two week circuit breaker?

Wales and Scotland jumped on it as a chance to score political points against Johnson.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I can’t recall now as it’s all merged into one, but wasn’t it Sage pushing for the two week circuit breaker?

Wales and Scotland jumped on it as a chance to score political points against Johnson.

I’m not sure. Goes to show that there’s “no free lunch” with this pandemic. Sweden now has very high covid cases per 100,000, Poland, Hungry and Czech Republic which all fared so well in the first wave have awful numbers, the Welsh circuit breaker wasn’t a game changer.

Whilst South Korea and Taiwan now stand out as exemplary, as do Finland, Denmark and Norway.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

View attachment 131082

It’s very much a South Wales issue. Here in the north the rates are pretty low. 69 per 100k where I live compared with 55 in Brighton. Some places in the south are 400+. Unfortunately the whole country is treated the same now.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s very much a South Wales issue. Here in the north the rates are pretty low. 69 per 100k where I live compared with 55 in Brighton. Some places in the south are 400+. Unfortunately the whole country is treated the same now.

Borne out by the numbers for business caught breaching the laws in Wales. Although probably just a microcosm of those flouting, high numbers in the South Wales Valleys. A hard core of people across all four nations don’t give a jot about the lives of others.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here