Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
1500 new cases today - lowest since late March is the official line but in all probability that’s probably the lowest since early March, seen as today we found 1500 cases from 128k total tests, in late March there was under 10000 per day.

The virus is being sent packing. :clap2:

ED856E89-EC32-49D3-8531-F45EC2B52CF9.jpeg

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Strange press conference- Basically, lowest deaths recorded since march, Lowest Hospital admissions, lowest ICU Usage, Lowest number of people in hospital, Test and track all working, no upward surge in cases since lockdown eased, all parts of the UK seeing fewer and fewer cases, everything really good news and yet the press seemed almost disappointed in it. First questions were almost accusatory -Hancock started to look annoyed saying "Its good news that we have more trackers than required, means fewer cases. Can you imagine the uproar if the test and track system didn't have the capacity required! Whilst not out of the woods yet-the trees are definitely thinning quite quickly now

saulth

May 28, 2020
Only 178 new cases in Italy. Admittedly they did less tests today but getting less than 0.6% of positives out of the total daily tests is also a record.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Strange press conference- Basically, lowest deaths recorded since march, Lowest Hospital admissions, lowest ICU Usage, Lowest number of people in hospital, Test and track all working, no upward surge in cases since lockdown eased, all parts of the UK seeing fewer and fewer cases, everything really good news and yet the press seemed almost disappointed in it. First questions were almost accusatory -Hancock started to look annoyed saying "Its good news that we have more trackers than required, means fewer cases. Can you imagine the uproar if the test and track system didn't have the capacity required! Whilst not out of the woods yet-the trees are definitely thinning quite quickly now

I'm normally on the doom side of this story, but did think that was a particularly silly question.

Having said that it is a little concerning when neither tonight could back up the testing with numbers...!

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I'm normally on the doom side of this story, but did think that was a particularly silly question.

Having said that it is a little concerning when neither tonight could back up the testing with numbers...!

I didn't think that was strange. The system is only been running a few days, with a weekend. Surely it takes a few days minimum to contact people so of those who were tested last Wednesday, contact tracing would only have started Thursday. For those tested after Thursday only 1 or 2 days. Meaningful tracing figures will be after a few days which for the first batch would only be coming through now. If no figures are available after the system has been running a week, then I would say there was cause for concern.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I didn't think that was strange. The system is only been running a few days, with a weekend. Surely it takes a few days minimum to contact people so of those who were tested last Wednesday, contact tracing would only have started Thursday. For those tested after Thursday only 1 or 2 days. Meaningful tracing figures will be after a few days which for the first batch would only be coming through now. If no figures are available after the system has been running a week, then I would say there was cause for concern.

Agree, but they were happy to say the numbers were substantial, if that's the case name the figure, or do as you said, say they will give the figure after a week or so, once the system has had time to bed in.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Tweet from The Prof from a few hours ago

111 fatalities reported vs 121, 160, 210, 288, 338, 559, 744 on previous Mondays. The lowest figure since lockdown began.

1570 new cases, the lowest number since the end of March.

Hospital admissions continue to fall.

Everything is going in the right direction.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Tweet from The Prof from a few hours ago

111 fatalities reported vs 121, 160, 210, 288, 338, 559, 744 on previous Mondays. The lowest figure since lockdown began.

1570 new cases, the lowest number since the end of March.

Hospital admissions continue to fall.

Everything is going in the right direction.

What's crucial here is that on the 26th March, we recorded a similar number of new cases from around 8,000 tests - so roughly 20% testing positive. At that point in time, we were pretty much only testing people in hospital, many of whom were already seriously ill with Covid-19.

Today, we've arrived at that number from something closer to 80,000 - 2% test to positive result. You could argue on that basis that cases are now at only 10% of the level of late March, however in reality it's probably much, much lower than that as today's cases will include a large number of people tested at home with little more than a cough and a fever who simply thought it was sensible to get checked out. If you were getting tested in late March, there's a good chance you were already pretty ill.

We've gone from the brink of the apocalypse to being well on the road to recovery in rapid time. I'm wary of jinxing things, but based on everything I'm seeing around me - the direction of the numbers (not just here, but throughout the world), the increasingly upbeat quotes from top medical professionals and the baby steps we're taking towards normality, I'm feeling really, really positive.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What's crucial here is that on the 26th March, we recorded a similar number of new cases from around 8,000 tests - so roughly 20% testing positive. At that point in time, we were pretty much only testing people in hospital, many of whom were already seriously ill with Covid-19.

Today, we've arrived at that number from something closer to 80,000 - 2% test to positive result. You could argue on that basis that cases are now at only 10% of the level of late March, however in reality it's probably much, much lower than that as today's cases will include a large number of people tested at home with little more than a cough and a fever who simply thought it was sensible to get checked out. If you were getting tested in late March, there's a good chance you were already pretty ill.

We've gone from the brink of the apocalypse to being well on the road to recovery in rapid time. I'm wary of jinxing things, but based on everything I'm seeing around me - the direction of the numbers (not just here, but throughout the world), the increasingly upbeat quotes from top medical professionals and the baby steps we're taking towards normality, I'm feeling really, really positive.

Completely agree - I can see us being very well out of this and back to near-normal much quicker than anticipated. Feeling very upbeat about things at the moment. As far as the press conference is concerned, it almost felt a bit like they were afraid to be too gung-ho about the good news (which is understandable).

D

Deleted member 2719

We have just been told the kids can do social distance football training, good news if this is true. Has anyone else heard this?

D

Deleted member 2719

Yes but putting it into practice could be tricky especially for the younger age groups!

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk
I have a 10 year old daughter and a 13 year old son, the 13 year old has been asked to train this Thursday!
Still awaiting the 10 year old.
I'd prefer a couple of more weeks to be sure as I am keeping them fit anyway, but it is good news!

Mrs. P. was understandably nervous and apprehensive at returning to the Classroom yesterday, particularly regarding keeping pupils socially distanced. However it appears to have gone better than expected and hopefully will continue in that that vein until they break up next month.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I have a 10 year old daughter and a 13 year old son, the 13 year old has been asked to train this Thursday!
I'd prefer a couple of more weeks to be sure as I am keeping them fit anyway, but it is good news!

Non contact should be easy enough for the older kids. Took mine to Brighton Footgolf yesterday where he played with a mate for the first time instead of me. I played the hole behind with the dad and they kept 2m apart all the way, to the point where other dad asked me if he was ok as seemed a bit less social than normal :lolol:

Anything under about 10 would be a nightmare I would think, they'd just dribble and tackle as soon as you turned your back. I coached under 9s for a season and getting them to listen is about 80% of the battle!

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

I hope they also have some positive influences in their lives to counterbalance your attitude and perspective.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here