Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How seriously are you taking social distancing?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
The only thing that terrifies me about it is the thought of inadvertently passing it on to somebody I care about. Or to somebody I've never met, come to that.

That's the rub ... I'm not confident that the majority really care too much. Naturally, I very much hope I am totally wrong

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
A couple of weeks ago I was a bit unconcerned over the whole thing I will admit, but now Im getting pretty anxious about it all tbh. Staying at home is the norm anyway after work for us - we dont go out for meals very often, dont frequent coffee shops or the town with friends generally - so Im being sensible at work during the day (Im in my own office anyway 8-5), and Im riding my bike out in the wilderness on my own when I do go out. My wife works in a controlled laboratory environment at the hospital, so her contact with others is also very minimal during the day. No unnecessary trips to the supermarkets either....we'll get by on what weve got.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
My situation: T1 Diabetes (so moderate risk), and in a family of 4.

I'm very fortunate to be able to work from home, and for the main part I'm taking my 'outdoors' time in the garden, but that's mainly because I see this as an opportunity to spruce it up and get it looking lovely for the summer. Yesterday I went out to the garden centre as well to panic buy some stuff. We've cancelled a number of plans, but have kept the odd kids' play date outside in parks - as the schools haven't broken up there's little sense in cutting these out.

Mrs MBH's work is unshutdownable and she's picking up more and more hours due to absence.

So pretty seriously, I think.

birthofanorange

NSC Patreon
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
During my leisure time, a quick trip to the shops to get what I need/is available and that's it. I'm not a party animal, anyway, and am quite content to slob around indoors.
However, my work entails mixing with hundreds of people on a daily basis, so that kinda defeats the object, but until that changes (if/when), I don't have a choice.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Screenshot 2020-03-18 at 10.30.05.png

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Part of me wants to get a proper big session in before everything does close down...I probably won't though. :wrong:

Did this yesterday. Visited a fair few pubs in HH and Lindfield. Interesting to note quite a lot of WFH were in the pubs on laptops
Anyway, it was enjoyable but that’s it for pubs for me for a while. Even though that was the first time I’ve been into a pub since 22nd December 2019.
Feeling it today though, I’m going as far as the armchair. Don’t really want for anything at the moment as stocked the freezer up over the last few days and toiletry stocks are healthy.

Other than that, I’m on annual leave so not seeing any work bods, going to the gym later at night and generally not seeing that many people.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm working from home and only go out to get the kids from school (grr), shop (because I want to keep delivery slots freed up for people more needy of them) and run by myself (I normally have a training partner). Wife has always worked from home so we're basically housebound with the exception of shopping and exercise. However, as I was typing this, I noticed one of the builders' vans in our road (two houses still having major work) park right outside our house and the bloke get out and cough up a lung right by our front garden. I hope he's a smoker. FFS.

The over 70s (9 in total) I’ve spoken to unanimously say they’ve no intention of staying indoors and it will be largely ‘business as usual.’

While running this morning I saw a big group of pensioners all walking their dogs together at the Lagoon. VERY disappointing, when you consider people are doing this for them.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
You’re up against a ‘We survived the war’ or ‘Our parents survived the war’ mindset with several of them unfortunately.

Yep, overheard similar conversations yesterday. Thing is, it's not just (potentially) their funeral, but that point seems to be lost on some. Glad to report that my 90 and 80 year old parents are taking it seriously.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yep, overheard similar conversations yesterday. Thing is, it's not just (potentially) their funeral, but that point seems to be lost on some. Glad to report that my 90 and 80 year old parents are taking it seriously.

The vast majority of the people I’ve seen out over the last few days have been old people. Stopping to chat on the pavement, gathering in the old tea shop and the cafe.
Idiots. Isolation for over 70’s should be compulsory.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
My company sent out the 'work from home' edict on Monday morning and today was the first time I've left the house since (for a cardiologist appointment).

No pubs, restaurants etc for me until this has gone quiet.

It's tough but the sensible thing to do. The thing I'm really struggling with is not seeing my parents. They're both mid-60s with health problems and going round their place for a coffee just isn't worth the risk of them getting ill.

But am making the most of it. I'm getting a weekly PS4 online gaming session set up with some friends, have put together a home workout (because the gym is also a no-go for me now) and I'm going booze free for the duration.

Apart from my girlfriend and a few shopkeepers I doubt I'll interact, face-to-face, with another human for months now.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I walked passed a cafe en-route to work yesterday (I am WfH now but had to go in to pick some vital bits up). The cafe was full of people :facepalm:

Now I am WfH I expect my only contact with others (other than my partner) will be when we do a food shop, if there is any food to buy.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Just this minute heard two women in their 80s both saying they have coughs but feel ok . Both just back from Waitrose with bags of shopping :facepalm: obviously not taking it to seriously .

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
My wife is a secondary school teacher and i have 3 kids at differing schools, meaning that they are in the presence of hundreds, if not 1000's, of kids every day. I have no doubt that we will get it, and that we will then get over it. How can they 'social distance' given this?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Elsewhere I've seen a few people comment on cafes and coffee shops being busy, with others seemingly congratulating people for carrying on. Isn't this exactly the behaviour that got Italy into trouble?

People with an "I'm alright Jack" attitude, either because they believe they are low-risk, "it's only sniffles", "hardly anyone has it - what's the fuss about?" or believe that because they are not symptomatic, they couldn't be part of the problem, think it's OK to ignore the advice being handed out.

Initial research indicates that people can spread the virus before they are symptomatic (they may even remain completely asymptomatic throughout infection), and it's through this that the growth of the virus really ramps up.

I've heard a few mentions on the radio this morning of people not taking it seriously yet. I'm guessing that if virus spread out-strips model forecasts and health resources do become overwhelmed then we may see mandatory stay-at-home instructions as in other nations. Surely we don't want that if we can avoid it?

We will continue to support our local businesses. We love our local independent coffee shop and we'll still get drinks and cake but will takeaway instead of sitting in, and we'll do the same with favourite restaurants that offer takeaway services.

Are you taking it seriously?

Please don't turn this into a "they should shut the pubs if they don't want us to use them" or "they should shut the schools then" thread. This is about YOUR behaviour with regard to social distancing.

I don't like it much but have only left the house to go for a run (on my own) or a walk (with the Mrs) since Saturday morning, other than a brief trip to the shop. Was thinking about walking into town for a coffee later but would get a takeaway and sit in the park, not in Costa or Nero. If we're going to do this properly we might as well. We're supposed to be going to Devon at the weekend for a couple of days - long overdue trip to see family, and (after a whole load of convincing) also taking my mother who has barely left the house since my dad died last year but we're almost certain to be cancelling this too.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here