Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2020

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Saw 1917 on Friday afternoon and it was certainly a good film. Hellish surroundings becoming the norm as a blanket of cadavers take effect. I'd give it a 4 out of 5, as, whilst many a soldier met in passing spoke of a distrust of their seniors and the senselessness of what they undertook, I felt the hun were what was to blame and the victims were the british troops. I would have preferred a more universal sense to the insane suffering.
It was quite a watch though, and impressive to have it seem like a single take.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Very good. Very good. Very moving. Extraordinary cinematography.

Sunday 11am showing. Mistake. Quite a lot of boomers in there who can’t get through films without unwrapping sweets. Noisily.
One old lady was trying to cautiously open a crinkly packet of something, slowly and loudly during a very moving death scene. Silly cow. Someone from the darkness eventually told her to have some bloody respect.
Was nice and quiet after that.

I would urge you to see this at the cinema. There are no surprises, it’s Oscars bait but very well done.

7.5/10

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As an aside, I was using my limitless card to book and noticed a full price adult ticket is £13.25

That’s a right piss take.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
1917. Worthing Dome 450 attendance. I really do not know where to start. I will start by saying I think this is probably the best film I have seen in over 20 years.

Gripping, moving, fast paced, bold, beautiful with a strong message again'st the utter futility of war.

It is just simply a MASTERPIECE from the start to the finish. So many memorable scenes, wonderful cinematography, score, acting and so very important for people to see.

I simply cannot recommend it highly enough. It has to rate a 98 out of 100

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
Cineworld Eastbourne at the Beacon is a fantastic cinema and glad I got my unlimited
Card back in May , just seen The gentlemen ( fantastic film) , jumanji 2 (was ok) , last night was 1917 , very moving and somber . Everyone just sat there at the end credits in the darkness . Off to see the unlimited screening of clients new film Tuesday about the Atlanta bombing

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
1917. Worthing Dome 450 attendance. I really do not know where to start. I will start by saying I think this is probably the best film I have seen in over 20 years.

Gripping, moving, fast paced, bold, beautiful with a strong message again'st the utter futility of war.

It is just simply a MASTERPIECE from the start to the finish. So many memorable scenes, wonderful cinematography, score, acting and so very important for people to see.

I simply cannot recommend it highly enough. It has to rate a 98 out of 100

Why not 100/100 US? Genuine question.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As an aside, I was using my limitless card to book and noticed a full price adult ticket is £13.25

That’s a right piss take.

£5.20 at Worthing Dome off peak (£6.70 on peak). £3.50 on Mondays.

Ooh...I might pop along there tonight then.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
£5.20 at Worthing Dome off peak (£6.70 on peak). £3.50 on Mondays.

Ooh...I might pop along there tonight then.

Yeah, Worthing dome is great. I am just tied into this limitless thing at the Odeon. Great some months, waste of money on others. It works out good value over the year.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Why not 100/100 US? Genuine question.

No film has ever got and will never get 100 as that would mean the end of the search for the ultimate film. I have 5 on 98 plus. Probably see abour 2000. I think my worst scores were 27 for Detroit and 28 for Hereditary

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just back from 1917. Harrowing, captivating and hugely immersive. Right from the opening scene, the way the film plays out almost as one long panning shot is something I've never seen before. Basically think the nightclub / kitchen scene in Goodfellas, but played out over the entire 2 hours. No editing, no cutting from one scene to the next, or even one person to the next. Aside from a couple of pauses in complete darkness, the camera never leaves the heroes of the story, you're constantly behind them, sweeping round them or seeing them running towards you - you're just along for the ride. Its unique, and a quite astonishing achievement.

The landscapes are hellish, the close-combat viscerally brutal, the sounds of gunfire, sniper fire and explosions utterly jarring - this is definitely one of those films you need to see in a theatre. Its relentless and exhausting, and its worth mentioning the score too, which for long spells isn't even music as such, just an ominous background hum that ratchets up the tension and sense of fear and dread.

This movie will clearly be dripping with Oscars, its probably the most dynamic war film I've seen since Saving Private Ryan.

94%.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Just back from 1917. Harrowing, captivating and hugely immersive. Right from the opening scene, the way the film plays out almost as one long panning shot is something I've never seen before. Basically think the nightclub / kitchen scene in Goodfellas, but played out over the entire 2 hours. No editing, no cutting from one scene to the next, or even one person to the next. Aside from a couple of pauses in complete darkness, the camera never leaves the heroes of the story, you're constantly behind them, sweeping round them or seeing them running towards you - you're just along for the ride. Its unique, and a quite astonishing achievement.

The landscapes are hellish, the close-combat viscerally brutal, the sounds of gunfire, sniper fire and explosions utterly jarring - this is definitely one of those films you need to see in a theatre. Its relentless and exhausting, and its worth mentioning the score too, which for long spells isn't even music as such, just an ominous background hum that ratchets up the tension and sense of fear and dread.

This movie will clearly be dripping with Oscars, its probably the most dynamic war film I've seen since Saving Private Ryan.

94%.

Absolutely spot on Easy. I am truly baffled by some people saying they were " disappointed " but human beings baffle me daily. Opinions, opinions

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Absolutely spot on Easy. I am truly baffled by some people saying they were " disappointed " but human beings baffle me daily. Opinions, opinions

People just have different expectations I suppose, almost nothing is ever universally received. It did lag for me a little when he hides out with the french woman, but other than that, I thought it was terrific. I might actually buy the blueray when it comes out, I'll be very interested to see the "making of" in the extras to see the production.

One thing that bothered me though - the bit everyone's seen in the trailer where he's running towards camera, colliding with soldiers, shells going off all over the place behind him as the 1st battalion go over the top....

...why didn't he just run along the OTHER side of the trench ? ???

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've seen 7 films in the cinema this year (Cats; Frozen 2; Jojo Rabbit; The Gentleman; Just Mercy; Seberg; 1917) and for me, Jojo Rabbit, The Gentlemen and Just Mercy are all level at 8/10 for me. Just Mercy was Screen Unseen last week at Odeon, where you don't know the film you're going to see. I thought it had brilliant performances across the cast but it was just missing something in the writing. Jojo Rabbit is a brilliant concept which was well done, but missing an X Factor. It felt like it was trying to toe the line a little bit too much. Seberg didn't really do anything at all - I am always captivated by Kristen Stewart, but the film itself was fairly tame.

Bombshell, Bad Boys for Life and Waves all hitting the cinema on friday - I wish every month had the depth of releases as January does every year.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Just seen The Gentlemen at Brighton Odeon. Limitless card holder so thought I’d give it a spin even though I wasn’t expecting much. The promise of a good comic turn from Colin Farrell urged me along.

It’s story is rather similar to that of Layer Cake but not quite as sophisticated.

It has the slapstick bumbling mobsters favoured by Guy Ritchie. A good cast, Farrell is outstanding. It’s something of a throwback to the late 90’s early 00’s and no bad thing for it.
It could do without the casual, dated racism, though.

It’s throwaway stuff. Past it’s heyday? Certainly. Contrived and full of exposition? Without a doubt. But I rather enjoyed been “taken back” to the 90’s. I think a lot of you would too.

It’s a jolly good romp.

7/10

I hope you got permission to start this thread.

Anyway, when I saw the trailer and the cast I thought 'I'm seeing that.' Then I saw the director identity and I thought 'fukk that, I ain't going to see a cliché laden live action cartoon with swearing'.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here