Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] ***Derbyshire CCC v Sussex CCC, CC, 16-19 September, 10.30KO, Derby***

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I think us staying down is probably for the best as things stand. We don't have the batsmen.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Let’s be honest had we got promoted we aren’t anywhere near good enough in any aspect for div 1, perhaps this will make a few heads turn and realise we aren’t good enough and haven’t been for a while. Can’t blame Gillespie really, we don’t have a good enough squad.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Wouldn’t be surprised if delray is axed as an example.

I certainly would, he's one of the last players I can see being chucked. He's really come on this season - his first CC ton and some useful wickets too.

Dizzy was talking about signing an international batsman (one is much needed). If Van Zyl had been fit all season, it may have made a difference but we're probably another batsman short: Wells has had a miserable season, Finch is a long way short of being a FC player and so is Evans. Haines merits more of a go, he's still young.

It's not been great though: only Salt, Brown and Robinson can feel really pleased with their performances this season, that's not good.

Has anyone come in for Hameed yet? He was a test batsman a few years ago and needs rehabilitating

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I think us staying down is probably for the best as things stand. We don't have the batsmen.
We haven't had decent batsmen for the last 5/6 yrars and so we just keep re recruiting friggin bowlers ... here's one membership that won't be renewed next year.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I certainly would, he's one of the last players I can see being chucked. He's really come on this season - his first CC ton and some useful wickets too.

Dizzy was talking about signing an international batsman (one is much needed). If Van Zyl had been fit all season, it may have made a difference but we're probably another batsman short: Wells has had a miserable season, Finch is a long way short of being a FC player and so is Evans. Haines merits more of a go, he's still young.

It's not been great though: only Salt, Brown and Robinson can feel really pleased with their performances this season, that's not good.

Has anyone come in for Hameed yet? He was a test batsman a few years ago and needs rehabilitating

I agree on Rawlins. Certainly as a t20 player he is very promising. As a first class cricketer - maybe he could be a good batting allrounder. If he can be bothered with all that t20 cash around.
I can feel a statement coming from the boss though. that’s how it works in sport, when teams have underperformed.
Someone will Pay the price. And rightly so. Standards aren’t high enough at Sussex.
do you have any inside on why Rawlins hasn’t signed a contract ? Has he been offered one ?

Your assessment of our batters is bang on. Wells has been poor - my instinct says it’s worth persevering Next season. Others may disagree.
Finch’s number is surely up. Evans was always a stop gap for first class. He hasn’t had a bad white ball season.
Hameed - hard to know if he’s in terminal decline or a change of county will be the making of him. It would make sense for us to sign him, and probably be good for him. We are good at rehabilitating players. Sign hameed or someone of his ilk , topley and an overseas bat (as skip?) and get garton fit, and there’s reason for optimism next season.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Was discussing this with a mate at a Pub Quiz on Monday Night - what have we to lose?

Nothing. In his current abysmal form he'll slot neatly into our batting unit without weakening it, and if he can recover his old ability he'll be brilliant.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I agree on Rawlins. Certainly as a t20 player he is very promising. As a first class cricketer - maybe he could be a good batting allrounder. If he can be bothered with all that t20 cash around.
I can feel a statement coming from the boss though. that’s how it works in sport, when teams have underperformed.
Someone will Pay the price. And rightly so. Standards aren’t high enough at Sussex.
do you have any inside on why Rawlins hasn’t signed a contract ? Has he been offered one ?

I didn't know he hadn't signed. He's promising but I can't see there being a big rush of counties looking to sign him, I wonder what's going on there.

I do think Hameed is worth a go - Sussex have got a good record at rehabilitating players who have lost their way or struggled with injuries (Panesar, Jordan, Anyon and possibly Topley), I'm sure other counties will be looking at him though - he's still young.

Wells is the real mystery though. He was on the verge of the England team a few years back (mind you, half the openers in England were) but he now struggles to score runs in the Second Division. I don't know when his contract is up but if it's this year, he'll get another year to put things right.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
We need 3 solid batsmen. Massive season for us next year - we've punched above our weight in the last 20 years but it finally feels like we're joining the likes of Leics, Derbys, Gloucs, Northants and Glamorgan as permanent non-entities.

Pah, we felt like a permanent non entity up until the Adams revolution. Then it was amazing, and now we're rubbish. Cyclical.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Pah, we felt like a permanent non entity up until the Adams revolution. Then it was amazing, and now we're rubbish. Cyclical.

Yes, I don't think it's a coincidence that our two strongest periods in the past few decades were when we had two really strong captains: Barclay and Adams. There were very different characters and captains but they both pulled up under-achieving sides and made them winners. I wonder if the solution is to find a strong character at another county and offer him the captaincy - can't think of anyone off the top of my head - but it's one idea

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I didn't know he hadn't signed. He's promising but I can't see there being a big rush of counties looking to sign him, I wonder what's going on there.

I do think Hameed is worth a go - Sussex have got a good record at rehabilitating players who have lost their way or struggled with injuries (Panesar, Jordan, Anyon and possibly Topley), I'm sure other counties will be looking at him though - he's still young.

Wells is the real mystery though. He was on the verge of the England team a few years back (mind you, half the openers in England were) but he now struggles to score runs in the Second Division. I don't know when his contract is up but if it's this year, he'll get another year to put things right.

Rawlins - I’ve read in a few places that his contract is up. Hard to be entirely sure though as Sussex don’t reveal contract lengths. If he’s available I would think he’ll get other offers based on his potential. Anuerin Donald, slater at Notts.....examples of average players who got big moves. It’s not often players of his profile are on the market (if he is on the market).

Wells - it all sounded good after his spell in Australia but he seems to tie himself in knots at times. perhaps he is one who might have benefited from a change of scene. He nearly left when he was on the up a few years ago. From memory , it’s been hard work since then. I hope he finds a way as it will be a sad day when the wells dynasty ends

Pudos

Aug 18, 2015
That's makes two of us . Held membership since early 1980's I haven't enjoyed this year at all

Gave mine up this season, mainly due to work. After many years of membership thought at least the club would email me and ask why, not looking for discount or anything but if one of my clients stops at least I ask why, to learn something at least. Felt liked I'd paid for 10 years or so and wasn't really valued. . No idea but it may be different in football, but cricket, County Champs and 50 overs, hardly sells out
Still love it there tho

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes, I don't think it's a coincidence that our two strongest periods in the past few decades were when we had two really strong captains: Barclay and Adams. There were very different characters and captains but they both pulled up under-achieving sides and made them winners. I wonder if the solution is to find a strong character at another county and offer him the captaincy - can't think of anyone off the top of my head - but it's one idea

England are in the market for a good captain too, so we have competition.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Stable door and horse bolting spring to mind.

Sussex.PNG

https://sussexcricket.co.uk/current-vacancies

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Gave mine up this season, mainly due to work. After many years of membership thought at least the club would email me and ask why, not looking for discount or anything but if one of my clients stops at least I ask why, to learn something at least. Felt liked I'd paid for 10 years or so and wasn't really valued. . No idea but it may be different in football, but cricket, County Champs and 50 overs, hardly sells out
Still love it there tho

Did you not receive multiple e-mails to renew. All the members I know (myself included) are just set up on Direct Debit so it automatically renews unless you call in to cancel it. That's the only way you get discounts that I am aware of, also you can opt to give the savings you make to Blackstone youth academy trust.

Sorry to lose you, Sussex need the support in these days of people drifting away. If you do not get the separate 20 20 membership (reduced £75 charge for members) and just the regular one day, I paid £205 but that may include a donation to Blackstone as well. One days adult CC entry without membership is about £22 and one day games must be about £28. You only need to watch 6-7 days of cricket a season (which is not hard) for it to pay for itself. Also you get reciprocal deals to Horse Racing and other Cricket grounds, as well as access to away pavilions and our pavilion. I think its great value, as you say its just a brilliant place to spend some time to unwind, and like the Albion is an interesting work in progress at the moment.

Pudos

Aug 18, 2015
Did you not receive multiple e-mails to renew. All the members I know (myself included) are just set up on Direct Debit so it automatically renews unless you call in to cancel it. That's the only way you get discounts that I am aware of, also you can opt to give the savings you make to Blackstone youth academy trust.

Sorry to lose you, Sussex need the support in these days of people drifting away. If you do not get the separate 20 20 membership (reduced £75 charge for members) and just the regular one day, I paid £205 but that may include a donation to Blackstone as well. One days adult CC entry without membership is about £22 and one day games must be about £28. You only need to watch 6-7 days of cricket a season (which is not hard) for it to pay for itself. Also you get reciprocal deals to Horse Racing and other Cricket grounds, as well as access to away pavilions and our pavilion. I think its great value, as you say its just a brilliant place to spend some time to unwind, and like the Albion is an interesting work in progress at the moment.

No, nothing. Difference here is I always paid for mine in one lump at the ticket office. Frankly never thought of dd. Around April I normally get a small investment bonus so always used that, with no change!. Have no issue with price, its great value. I doubt it but I really hope the long game survives till i retire, 6 years to go. This year my job changed and I could only get there twice. My old membership was the county/50overs. Being a bit lazy and asking yourself rather than club, is the direct debit monthly, as in 12 payments a year? In which case I might swop it for the gym (honest, I will start again next week) membership that gives me little more than guilt.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I have been disappointed in the output from Jordan. As an experienced international I would have expected him to have shouldered more responsibility on the bowling front and supported Ollie Robinson much more. His batting has also been underwhelming.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
No, nothing. Difference here is I always paid for mine in one lump at the ticket office. Frankly never thought of dd. Around April I normally get a small investment bonus so always used that, with no change!. Have no issue with price, its great value. I doubt it but I really hope the long game survives till i retire, 6 years to go. This year my job changed and I could only get there twice. My old membership was the county/50overs. Being a bit lazy and asking yourself rather than club, is the direct debit monthly, as in 12 payments a year? In which case I might swop it for the gym (honest, I will start again next week) membership that gives me little more than guilt.

Yes two games is pushing the boundaries (no pun intended) of getting value out of the membership.

No its one off charge taken out of your account at the end of January. Mine was £280 last year with both membership's 20 20 in the pavilion and CC and one day.

Nice thing to spend your bonus on, I always longingly used to look at the life time memberships that were priced to your age, I think they may have been £2.5-3K at the time (more money than sense purchase).

We need a signature signing to get us excited, someone like Rashid or Carey.

Well one game left a dead rubber, then we do not have to think about it until spring 2020.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here