Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Govia Thameslink fined £1m over Gatwick Express window death

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Talk about Nanny State. The bloke worked in the rail industry and was a "railway fanatic" so he more than anyone should have known that you don't lean out of train windows. Judge said the warning sticker telling you not to lean out of the window was not displayed clearly enough! As though a more clearly displayed sign would have made the slightest bit of difference on this occasion. Tragic accident, but the guy was to blame, not the rail company.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Do you have a link to this Daily Mail/Daily Express story?

Not much different to just about every other report on it..........................

Anyway, madness. Sympathy for his family etc but struggling to see why the rail co should be fined for this - the fact he was a 'railway enthusiast' just makes it slightly more incredible that they're being blamed. Should be a Darwin Award for the poor chap.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Where do you draw the line against people acting like complete divs tho?

Yeah that's a tough one.

I'd say if you remove the ability for the windows to open and some pillock still manages to stick his head and get brained by a bit of railside scenery then it's probably not the rail firms fault.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If you don't want people to put their heads out of windows make it so people can't open them.

So everyone in the entire country has to swelter because of a solitary dimbot with a death wish ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well no. Have windows but not those ones you can get your head out of. Buses up and down the country manage it just fine.

I await the day when a bus company is sued because someone decided to dive head-first down the stairwell, and there wasn't a clear enough sign at the top advising people not to do it.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Really tragic but the family stated "Irrespective of the penalty imposed, we hope, as a result of our tragedy, that operating companies up and down the country will take their responsibilities to the travelling public more seriously".

However, as others have stated surely someone who was a railway enthusiast has responsibility to engage some common sense.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Incredible to think as a teenager going to the Albion I could open windows right down and lean out (I didn't) and then open those slam- doors whenever I wanted eg jump out while the train was still moving in/out of the station (I was too chicken to do this often).

Was it carnage with people dying left, right and centre daily? I don't remember it so!

Seems crazy now in lots of ways but I guess people weren't so fecking dumb back then?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I await the day when a bus company is sued because someone decided to dive head-first down the stairwell, and there wasn't a clear enough sign at the top advising people not to do it.

I did that, sort of, coming back from the AMEX on a night game. I'd had a few and decided to descend the stairs before the stop. To this day I don't know if the driver decided to have a bit of fun and plummet me forward so I hit the wall face first or if he had a sudden red light.

There was so much laughter on the bus I couldn't tell if the driver was joining in or not. Either way, it hurt.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports