Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
[oar in]

I reckon Ali J has a VERY good footballing brain and will be a dangerous inside forward next season for us. My prediction is ~9 goals and ~8 assists

[oar out]

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
It doesn’t stop them expressing themselves when they attack though.

The fact we were inept going forward, isn’t just tactics it’s about ability as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does expressing themselves mean? If you're an unorganised attack with no passing structure (as we so often were) up against an organised defensive structure, who wins usually? With all things being equal, it's usually the defence. Mourinho is lucky as he's been at big clubs with exceptional attackers. Hughton less so.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Knockaert totalled SIX Premier League assists last season, actually https://www.premierleague.com/players/8982/Anthony-Knockaert/stats?co=1&se=210

Along with the two goals (and two further goals in the FA Cup).

Using that website, he's managed just 5 goals and 7 assists in 72 Premier League appearances. Last season, his 6 assists came from the 6 big chances he created and he managed just 1 through ball. Those stats are little more than a joke for a winger. Our team has been very defensive, it would be a poor show to be using that fact to defend Ali J but to slate others, but the biggest difference as I see it is that he's played in his preferred position the whole time. The team has accomodated his preference and has been barely rewarded for doing so.

I don't believe he's a Premier League quality footballer if your ambition is anything other than to survive.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Really need more than 6 in 38 games from our supposed star winger. How many time did he give the ball away trying to beat he same player 3 times........?

I've no idea. Quite a few I'd imagine - decision making isn't his strong point. I wasn't making any attempt to champion Knockaert - just challenging [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] 's wildly misleading claims.

Not that there isn't a discussion to be had of course, over which wingers are more effective in their favoured roles / who should be able to dictate where they play over others / etc. But if we were assessing such, then it seems to me, to be almost beyond argument, that March is the strongest performer in the coveted right sided role?

March gets forced to give that role up, not because he performs less well there than any of the alternatives, but simply because he makes a better fist of things in his LESS preferred role than the others.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I've no idea. Quite a few I'd imagine - decision making isn't his strong point. I wasn't making any attempt to champion Knockaert - just challenging [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] 's wildly misleading claims.

Not that there isn't a discussion to be had of course, over which wingers are more effective in their favoured roles / who should be able to dictate where they play over others / etc. But if we were assessing such, then it seems to me, to be almost beyond argument, that March is the strongest performer in the coveted right sided role?

March gets forced to give that role up, not because he performs less well there than any of the alternatives, but simply because he makes a better fist of things in his LESS preferred role than the others.

March is a good example. Until last season I saw him as a really frustrating lightweight. With game time and confidence he has become one of our best players, as he more than any of our attacking players came around to the Hughton style of playing. For that reason I am not damning any of our players again until I’ve seen them have a run under a new manager.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
March is a good example. Until last season I saw him as a really frustrating lightweight. With game time and confidence he has become one of our best players, as he more than any of our attacking players came around to the Hughton style of playing. For that reason I am not damning any of our players again until I’ve seen them have a run under a new manager.
Absolutely this

Happy to be pilloried when it all goes 'Fulham' next season, but we were doomed carrying on as we were. Hope the perceived shithouse signings at least get a chance.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

I agree with this - in the 2017/18 season I thought March wasn't good enough, but in 2018/19 he really came forward as one of our best (and most attacking!) players.

(he still needs to make sure his crosses get past the first man a bit more often, though...)

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Seemingly some players aren't afforded the luxury of time.

Perhaps if Ali had arrived the first time of asking and cost £2m he wouldn't be quite so shitehouse now.

If posters are going to get titsy about player price tags perhaps the completely unrealistic world of Premier League transfers isn't for them.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Wildly misleading is silly hyperbole. March was our strongest performing winger last season, no question. But I'm not convinced he's Premier League standard either. He's at his most efficient when he's crossing the ball, and we've got a striker who thrives on deliveries. What I don't understand is why we didn't ever play to feed the wingers and cross the ball in for Glenn to score again and again and again.

It's just frustrating, the whole season was a massive frustration for me.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
All Knockaert managed was ... a couple of assists, all season. Played in his strongest position. .. At least if he were creating chances, you could make an argument for him. But he wasn'.

Knockaert totalled SIX Premier League assists last season, actually https://www.premierleague.com/players/8982/Anthony-Knockaert/stats?co=1&se=210

Along with the two goals (and two further goals in the FA Cup).

. I wasn't making any attempt to champion Knockaert - just challenging [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] 's wildly misleading claims.

Wildly misleading is silly hyperbole.

You were 300% wrong. That's statistically really quite 'wildly' misleading. :shrug:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
None on my part, no.

I've not wished for him to '**** off', have I?
But Stat Bro wasn't addressing you when he said an Ali goal would be met with silence (and obviously he wasn't being serious). Ali scored for his country, the thread got updated, Bozza said he hoped the news was the Ali is on his way (maybe a little in jest, I don't know), and others agree. Stat Bro jokes about that, and you call him a tedious dick about it. Looks like double standards to me.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Seemingly some players aren't afforded the luxury of time.

Perhaps if Ali had arrived the first time of asking and cost £2m he wouldn't be quite so shitehouse now.

If posters are going to get titsy about player price tags perhaps the completely unrealistic world of Premier League transfers isn't for them.

I don't think there's much in that argument.

A lot judge Bong MORE harshly than Bernardo, despite the former being a free transfer, and the latter being our most expensive ever defensive signing.

Ali's pricetag / vfm counts against the recruitment team right now, but it forms no part in my assessment of the player, or when comparing him with alternatives for a starting place. I'd imagine most feel the same way?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Wildly misleading is silly hyperbole. March was our strongest performing winger last season, no question. But I'm not convinced he's Premier League standard either. He's at his most efficient when he's crossing the ball, and we've got a striker who thrives on deliveries. What I don't understand is why we didn't ever play to feed the wingers and cross the ball in for Glenn to score again and again and again.

It's just frustrating, the whole season was a massive frustration for me.
"Wildly misleading" wasn't silly hyperbole really. You are attempting to convince us that Ali J is no less worth his place than Knockaert because Knockaert only managed a "2 goals and a couple of assists", when actually he managed twice as many goals in all competitions and three times as many assists. If you're going to use stats to make your case, then you need to get them right.

Personally I don't rate Ali J at all - one footed, lacks pace, slow footballing brain and his stats back it all up. That said, I DO think he'd be far better if he was settled in his preferred position, but even then wouldn't expect him to be an upgrade on Knockaert who is also somewhat lacking at this level. March is by far our best winger IMO.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
But Stat Bro wasn't addressing you when he said an Ali goal would be met with silence (and obviously he wasn't being serious). Ali scored for his country, the thread got updated, Bozza said he hoped the news was the Ali is on his way (maybe a little in jest, I don't know), and others agree. Stat Bro jokes about that, and you call him a tedious dick about it. Looks like double standards to me.

Are you reading the thread backwards? :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't think there's much in that argument.

A lot judge Bong MORE harshly than Bernardo, despite the former being a free transfer, and the latter being our most expensive ever defensive signing.

Ali's pricetag / vfm counts against the recruitment team right now, but it forms no part in my assessment of the player, or when comparing him with alternatives for a starting place. I'd imagine most feel the same way?

Bong is the purest example of a player deemed shitehouse and that then becomes impossible to shake off.
A category Solly and Stephens can be added too, but not even they are close to Bong.

I have no idea why Bong comes in for so much abuse around me (in the Family Stand :ohmy:).
Every game he makes the boo boys eat their words and the next game, from the moment the team is announced, they're on him again.

Part of the reason I believe Big Jurg (despite getting us to Wembley!) and Ali J have all this to come.
Currently they aren't 'up to standard' fair enough, we've had that dance enough times already.

But I'll be amazed if they were able to change the opinions, of great swathes of Albion fans.
Not just fans on here, but in the ground, and that's so frustrating esp as it's so easily fueled on here.

The ones groaning and sighing at every misstep.
The ones screaming 'just kick it forward Stephens', or 'why aren't you marking him' and so on.

This isn't an Albion trait, it's a football fans trait.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
"Wildly misleading" wasn't silly hyperbole really. You are attempting to convince us that Ali J is no less worth his place than Knockaert because Knockaert only managed a "2 goals and a couple of assists", when actually he managed twice as many goals in all competitions and three times as many assists. If you're going to use stats to make your case, then you need to get them right.

Personally I don't rate Ali J at all - one footed, lacks pace, slow footballing brain and his stats back it all up. That said, I DO think he'd be far better if he was settled in his preferred position, but even then wouldn't expect him to be an upgrade on Knockaert who is also somewhat lacking at this level. March is by far our best winger IMO.

I wasn't talking about the FA Cup, but I hadn't made that clear. His 6 assists were more than I was expecting, but still not good enough. If you want to talk about statistics, how about Solly March, "by far our best winger", managed just 1 goal and 5 assists in the Premier League last season (https://www.premierleague.com/players/8171/Solly-March/stats?co=1&se=210). So, not as good as Anthony Knockaert.

But I would agree, March was our best winger last season, despite the statistics. It's a shame that Izquierdo was no show all season due to injury, otherwise the conversation would be very different.

Again, it was a massively frustrating season and I would imagine that nobody is more frustrated than Chris Hughton.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here