Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2019 Thread

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Seems top heavy with starters, and if you're going to put Beignets on your menu, call them Beignets (or fritters) not doughnuts.
I'm sure it's all well executed, but 17 quid for ham, egg and chips is a lot for Worthing.
I sound jealous don't I? :laugh:

Agreed 17 quid is most defo extortianate, duck egg or no duck egg.

Jul 7, 2003
Can see that topping out at about a cool £200 for the day, sorry, I'll have to skip .

Probably still much cheaper than [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] 's recent effort of Cin Cin pre match and Fourth & Church post match.

For some reason he turned down my offer of the Station pizza wagon after the City game. Not sure his budget goes as £7 for a whole pizza.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Agreed 17 quid is most defo extortianate, duck egg or no duck egg.

It is expensive but there are plenty of people who can afford it and will pay that for a bit of reflected glory for eating there. The lad is only making the most of his fame while he can so fair play to him, there will be another MasterChef winner along shortly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Probably still much cheaper than [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] 's recent effort of Cin Cin pre match and Fourth & Church post match.

For some reason he turned down my offer of the Station pizza wagon after the City game. Not sure his budget goes as £7 for a whole pizza.

Ha. The price of the two meals was well south of 200. Less than a hundred infact. Both are reasonably priced for the standard of food imho; excellent value.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Is what we’re all dying to know! ��

It's got to be " brilliant " otherwise he's spaffed a huge wad for nothing.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It is expensive but there are plenty of people who can afford it and will pay that for a bit of reflected glory for eating there. The lad is only making the most of his fame while he can so fair play to him, there will be another MasterChef winner along shortly.

Yep thats true enough, it's all about what you enjoy in life l guess, and as you say, if you have the disposdable income then why not go for it?

I can remember when a previous Masterchef winner, Stephen Edwards, then head chef at a 'hostelry' local to me, South Lodge at Lower Beeding, opened his first venture, Etch. Good on him, l hope he continues to do well.

Unfortunately I won't be joining him, I prefer better value for money.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yep thats true enough, it's all about what you enjoy in life l guess, and as you say, if you have the disposdable income then why not go for it?

I can remember when a previous Masterchef winner, Stephen Edwards, then head chef at a 'hostelry' local to me, South Lodge at Lower Beeding, opened his first venture, Etch. Good on him, l hope he continues to do well.

Unfortunately I won't be joining him, I prefer better value for money.

You cut your cloth as you see fit, I won't be partaking either. Its a very sad country when we have children starving and living in poverty yet places like this exist.

Jul 7, 2003
Ha. The price of the two meals was well south of 200. Less than a hundred infact. Both are reasonably priced for the standard of food imho; excellent value.

I somehow feel that you may be omitting the cost of drinks from your total bill:whisky::kiss:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
With the GLDHI away for the weekend, my mother away too, and the kids either busy or pretending to be busy, I have the unusual experience of being alone this weekend. As it happens, Sushi Tetsu get quite a few cancellations (usually a single place - as they have 7 seats, and people book 3 since you have a better chance of securing a booking than if you book for two, and then cancel one).

They had one today for tonight. I phoned for it and got vmail, so left a message. Three hours pass. "Nah", I think. Phone rings, and it's Harumi-san. "You missed the one for tonight, but I've just got a cancellation for tomorrow night. Would you like it?"

Be rude not to. Fish and sake at 8pm. Perfect.

Now - what to do with the rest of the day...? And Sunday.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
You cut your cloth as you see fit, I won't be partaking either. Its a very sad country when we have children starving and living in poverty yet places like this exist.

Really? Do you also think it is a very sad country where we have children starving and living in poverty and yet hundreds of thousands of people each week pay large amounts of money to watch adults play a game of football? Or spend any money on anything that isn't 100% utilitarian?

Or do you think it is good that people who have disposable income use it in a way that provides satisfying jobs for talented people.

And £17.00 for a main course in a restaurant with serious intentions (or even pretensions) is not a lot. I very much doubt that the ham, egg and chips is the same as at your local Wetherspoons.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Really? Do you also think it is a very sad country where we have children starving and living in poverty and yet hundreds of thousands of people each week pay large amounts of money to watch adults play a game of football? Or spend any money on anything that isn't 100% utilitarian?

Or do you think it is good that people who have disposable income use it in a way that provides satisfying jobs for talented people.

And £17.00 for a main course in a restaurant with serious intentions (or even pretensions) is not a lot. I very much doubt that the ham, egg and chips is the same as at your local Wetherspoons.

I must admit that when I made that post I had had a few to drink at that point.

However, the " money " issues in football, ie that an obscene amount of money rotates around it has been covered many times in other threads, most recently the proposed Newcastle takeover.

As for "do you think it is good that people who have disposable income use it in a way that provides satisfying jobs for talented people." I would say yes... but in catering the majority of staff are slogging their guts out for little reward, Kenny should do well but the people who have invested in his business will do equally as well and a lot better than most of the staff.

I come from the position where I work 98% of my day standing up in a pressured job to take home about £300 a week after tax and NI so I would view that menu with a degree of trepidation to say the least.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Kenny should do well but the people who have invested in his business will do equally as well and a lot better than most of the staff.

There are only two ways that an investor gets a return on their money in any business: a capital gain when the business is sold, &/or dividends paid out of operating profits. Restaurants are very rarely sold (much more frequently, they simply go bust and the investors lose everything), and not that many make enough profits to pay anything approaching an attractive annual return to an investor.

Kenny's venture will no doubt be a better investment vehicle than backing other brand new chefs opening their first restaurant, because he's pretty much guaranteed a full house for the first three months trading off his Masterchef success. After that though, his cooking will determine everything. If he's capable of cooking in a pro environment, at pro volumes, with pro portion and cost control, all while keeping the standard at the required level and inventing new dishes every three months minimum for 5+ years, then yes, his investors may make 10-15% return on their investment. If he's not, then they'll lose all their money.

Much like pro footballers, you have to be seriously talented to make mega returns - sure, Gordon Ramsay does (or did), and some others. But they are the Messi's of the cheffing world. Investing in a restaurant is rarely done with the expectation of massive financial reward - more frequently it's done because it's a mate, or because the investor fancies owning a part of a restaurant. Most of the time, you'd do better keeping your money in the bank - it's such a tough business. You'd certainly do better buying Bordeaux First Growths en primeur and selling after 5 years.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Treated myself to a day off on Wednesday and went to Fourth and Church for lunch with Mrs Simgull - what a great place this is. Between two of us we had the cauliflower (of course), the charcuterie lunch plate and the squid. Washed down with a manzanilla and glass of Rioja. Bloody fantastic- I really think this is the best place for lunch in Brighton and Hove.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Treated myself to a day off on Wednesday and went to Fourth and Church for lunch with Mrs Simgull - what a great place this is. Between two of us we had the cauliflower (of course), the charcuterie lunch plate and the squid. Washed down with a manzanilla and glass of Rioja. Bloody fantastic- I really think this is the best place for lunch in Brighton and Hove.

Looking forward to trying it when I'm back this summer.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I must admit that when I made that post I had had a few to drink at that point.

However, the " money " issues in football, ie that an obscene amount of money rotates around it has been covered many times in other threads, most recently the proposed Newcastle takeover.

As for "do you think it is good that people who have disposable income use it in a way that provides satisfying jobs for talented people." I would say yes... but in catering the majority of staff are slogging their guts out for little reward, Kenny should do well but the people who have invested in his business will do equally as well and a lot better than most of the staff.

I come from the position where I work 98% of my day standing up in a pressured job to take home about £300 a week after tax and NI so I would view that menu with a degree of trepidation to say the least.

See below.

There are only two ways that an investor gets a return on their money in any business: a capital gain when the business is sold, &/or dividends paid out of operating profits. Restaurants are very rarely sold (much more frequently, they simply go bust and the investors lose everything), and not that many make enough profits to pay anything approaching an attractive annual return to an investor.

Kenny's venture will no doubt be a better investment vehicle than backing other brand new chefs opening their first restaurant, because he's pretty much guaranteed a full house for the first three months trading off his Masterchef success. After that though, his cooking will determine everything. If he's capable of cooking in a pro environment, at pro volumes, with pro portion and cost control, all while keeping the standard at the required level and inventing new dishes every three months minimum for 5+ years, then yes, his investors may make 10-15% return on their investment. If he's not, then they'll lose all their money.

Much like pro footballers, you have to be seriously talented to make mega returns - sure, Gordon Ramsay does (or did), and some others. But they are the Messi's of the cheffing world. Investing in a restaurant is rarely done with the expectation of massive financial reward - more frequently it's done because it's a mate, or because the investor fancies owning a part of a restaurant. Most of the time, you'd do better keeping your money in the bank - it's such a tough business. You'd certainly do better buying Bordeaux First Growths en primeur and selling after 5 years.

This. Starting your own business is a massive risk. Investing in one is even more of a risk. Restaurants go bust all the time. Businesses go bust all the time.

(To [MENTION=11928]vegster[/MENTION] again)
There's nothing obscene about talented people delivering good produce and cooking to those that can afford it at the time. In fact it makes our world go round. If you could deliver good food to families in this country that are living in poverty fine but, being blunt. how many would know what to do with lamb rump or sweetbreads or heritage carrots? They'd flog them down the pub for something that wouldn't be given to the kids IMO. But....

Modern cuisine has a massive part to play in improving the lives of kids in poverty. Firstly it's one of those industries where you absolutely do NOT need a university education to get on. A lot of decent chefs have started out as kitchen porters at the age of 14 - 16 and worked their way up with long shifts and learning on the job. Loyle Carner was a guest judge on the latest Great British Menu. He does cooking classes for poor kids with "issues". This, not only might propel them in to a good career, but, if not. will allow them to make more at home from what they can afford. It's a career service and a nutrition lesson.

It's the investors that take the big risk in the food industry. Shut it down and you'd close out a route to normality for a lot of working class kids.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

All interesting and, even more importantly, I hope you enjoyed your latest (fifth?) visit to Sushi Tetsu.
As to your last sentence, how long do you envisage that continuing for? I know they've fallen away somewhat in recent years, but it's been a sustained, continuous rise (and was even the best investment during the 2000s IIRC). Also, when did you buy your 1982s if I recall that correctly too, because their 'value' versus inflation since the 1980s has been on an exponential curve.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
All interesting and, even more importantly, I hope you enjoyed your latest (fifth?) visit to Sushi Tetsu.
As to your last sentence, how long do you envisage that continuing for? I know they've fallen away somewhat in recent years, but it's been a sustained, continuous rise (and was even the best investment during the 2000s IIRC). Also, when did you buy your 1982s if I recall that correctly too, because their 'value' versus inflation since the 1980s has been on an exponential curve.

Harumi-san said it was my 7th visit - and first alone. I got some special treatment, some dishes I’d never had before, and two that Toru-san got in specially for me, most noticeably “mollusc” which he only served to me. It was abalone - though he never confirmed it. He did however say it was hand-dived off Point Reyes. Have you ever seen a Japanese man do the nudge, nudge, wink, wink routine? Very funny.

The 80s were, as you know, such a brilliant decade for Bordeaux - with ‘82, ‘83, ‘85, ‘86, ‘89 &’90 being between bloody good and legendary. Some say that Parker made Bordeaux (& Rhône). Bollocks. Bordeaux made Parker - any fule kno that wines that good were, err, good.

I bought 28 cases of ‘82 en primeur. Beat working for a living.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here