Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter move signals Brighton's exciting change of direction

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's not spiteful to point out how poor we were in the last 6 months with things like actual facts and statistics. Goals scored, shots on targets, number of long balls, all these stats were provably worse in the last six months of the four and a half years. Of that term the first four years were wonderful. There were plenty of threads on here celebrating Chris, quite rightly during that term. I still say he was our best manager since Mullery, I still say he could probably get any of the sleeping giants stuck in The Championship up in a season or two. I still say he's a truly inspiring person and a great human being. But, if you can say that then you simply have to be able to point out that the football sucked since New Year. Bloom was never going to bin him off for gross misconduct like he had to do with Poyet because CH is not that type of person. Therefore the decision was made purely on a footballing basis. Pointing that out when challenged on it is not disrespectful.

It is when talking about an unknown future, projecting a hypothetical inevitable failure. Sorry, but a lot of it has been spiteful.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It is when talking about an unknown future, projecting a hypothetical inevitable failure. Sorry, but a lot of it has been spiteful.

Stating that Potter will definitely be better than Hughton is no wiser than saying we should have stuck with CH and we’ll definitely go down. No one knows for sure. However, I expect the football to be more entertaining because it really couldn’t get any less. I’d reached the point where I couldn’t be arsed to go. If 27000 others reached that conclusion Bloom wouldn’t have much of a business plan left. I’m not saying that out of spite for CH, it’s just the way I felt :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Nonsense. 3 wins in 23 can rightly be extrapolated to almost certain relegation. And that is ignoring the dire performances. This is fact. He was correctly axed: Move on.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Stating that Potter will definitely be better than Hughton is no wiser than saying we should have stuck with CH and we’ll definitely go down. No one knows for sure. However, I expect the football to be more entertaining because it really couldn’t get any less. I’d reached the point where I couldn’t be arsed to go. If 27000 others reached that conclusion Bloom wouldn’t have much of a business plan left. I’m not saying that out of spite for CH, it’s just the way I felt :shrug:

Good post. Hughton leaves with my thanks and respect for what he achieved but for our group, matchdays had become more of a few beers and laughs with your mates with a dull 90mins of football in the middle, with little optimism for much entertainment or a good result. Of course there are no certainties in football but we are all looking forward to the new season with a lot more excitement then would have been the case if Tony hadn't pulled the trigger

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Nonsense. 3 wins in 23 can rightly be extrapolated to almost certain relegation. And that is ignoring the dire performances. This is fact. He was correctly axed: Move on.

If you were able to move on yourself, we wouldn't be having this discussion. It's comments like your own that keep stirring the pot, then tell others to move on. :shrug:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
A lot of what I've seen is far from spiteful. Most people have been defending Bloom's decision using the only sensible thing: last season and Hughton's total inability to turn things around when it was most needed. There was nothing to suggest that he was worth the risk for next season, especially with our form and performances since early December.

With over £100 Million at risk TB needed to make a decision. We'll find out if it was the right one next May.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Good post. Hughton leaves with my thanks and respect for what he achieved but for our group, matchdays had become more of a few beers and laughs with your mates with a dull 90mins of football in the middle, with little optimism for much entertainment or a good result. Of course there are no certainties in football but we are all looking forward to the new season with a lot more excitement then would have been the case if Tony hadn't pulled the trigger

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You’ve summed up nicely what I suspected.

CH and the players served up mainly shite in last 23 PL matches, but in the concourses pre match and for the loyal folk :bowdown: going to the away losses, there was always unbelievable optimism pre match. I think loads of supporters boozed and enjoyed the craic with mates, which glossed over the shockingly poor football.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A lot of what I've seen is far from spiteful. Most people have been defending Bloom's decision using the only sensible thing: last season and Hughton's total inability to turn things around when it was most needed. There was nothing to suggest that he was worth the risk for next season, especially with our form and performances since early December.

With over £100 Million at risk TB needed to make a decision. We'll find out if it was the right one next May.

Which is up for grabs as it happened and we witnessed it. The spiteful stuff I think is predicting the future as bleak as some are doing had Hughton remained. It's just hypothetical, I don't think we do ourselves any favours saying it would have got worse, definitely gone down, that is a fact etc. etc. Bloom clearly thought it wasn't worth the risk, doesn't mean he was also convinced we'd go down under Hughton, just that we know he wanted a new direction.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
If you were able to move on yourself, we wouldn't be having this discussion. It's comments like your own that keep stirring the pot, then tell others to move on. :shrug:

Then start supporting your club and not our ex manager. Then I’ll move on. Okay?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

This. And nobody is saying guaranteed survival under Potter. Just a few insisting Chris deserved another go next season when he clearly didn’t.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Which is up for grabs as it happened and we witnessed it. The spiteful stuff I think is predicting the future as bleak as some are doing had Hughton remained. It's just hypothetical, I don't think we do ourselves any favours saying it would have got worse, definitely gone down, that is a fact etc. etc. Bloom clearly thought it wasn't worth the risk, doesn't mean he was also convinced we'd go down under Hughton, just that we know he wanted a new direction.

A different direction, like not going down? :jester:

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
Absolutely. Many of us were thinking that, with most of our £100M spent wisely, Chris would get the team playing more like we did when romping around in The Championship (though not winning as often, obviously). Tony Bloom clearly thought differently . . . . . so, the king is dead, long live the king.
I can't get over how spiteful some of the Hughton-outers are getting now - he was a good manager for us, but yes, he and the team did go on a very bad run at the end. No-one's denying that, but some people are starting to sound like Norwich supporters now. I wonder how many of them were (quite rightly) deriding Norwich supporters only a few months ago.
Here's hoping the Potter regime turns out to be as successful as TB hopes!

Agree, we did have a bad run at the end of the season by then the team was exhausted continually chasing the ball as superier teams are not only very capable of scoring but also masters of possession,plenty of the lower teams in the league have the same problem not made easier by players carrying injuries as the season wore on,unless we can increase the size of the squad Mr Potter
will know what Chris had to deal with.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Believe me when I say Tony correctly felt it was a massive risk to not off Chris: not dropping out of the Prem with the consequences for club finances was the primary motivation for the decision to show Chris the exit door.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Clearly not read my posts then. Just argumentative for the sake of it. Got it. :thumsbup:

I have read your posts. Unnecessary defence of Chris over our club and chairman.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here