Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] who are your Albion cult heroes?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Gall was brilliant, and seemed to chip in with match winning goals that season (Newcastle away). Gall also has cult hero status as he was our representative in the 100m sprint on Saint & Greavsie. I don't think he got out of the heats, but when the opposition was Ricky Otto, no-one stood a chance really.

I seem to remember Gall going to work in his father's bakery after his injury. There might be something quite cult about kicking stale buns against a chalk-marked goalpost in his break.

Whilst nursing an injury I recall it was mentioned that one leg was quite a few inches shorter than the other. This explained why although quite quick he had that strange rocking gait when going full pelt.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Jamie Moralee

6 year old me is a mascot at Scunthorpe away. Moralee comes on as a substitute towards end of game. Look away from the pitch, look back again and he has punched someone and got sent off. At least that's how I remember it!

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Fred Binney
Kit Napier
Tony Towner
Peter Osullivan
Peter Ward
Ian Mellor
Gary Nelson
Michael Robinson
Steve Foster
Gerry Ryan
Dean Wilkins
Chris Catlin
Robbie Rynolt
Kerry Mayo
Michael Kyppers
Richie Barker
Darren Freeman
Bobby Zamora
Vincente
Richard Carpenter
Gary Hart
Guy Butters
Danny Cullip
Charlie Oatway
Bruno
Glen Murray
Indigo Calderon
Lewis Dunk
And anyone who has pulled on the Brighton shirt

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Mark Gall, for some reason I thought he was going to be a superstar

/QUOTE]

He was frigging excellent, Gall. His hair seemed joyously unkempt, and a tooth was chipped with pure abandon. Wasn't he about 30 when he signed for us though, so therefore closer to his last legs than a star in the making? Wasn't he a cursed character too, by playing for clubs that went bankrupt?
Whatever, he was great, his legs a-dance and the ball soon to be pummeled towards.

Yep I'll go with Mark Gall.

Mike Small a one season legend too

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Gerry Fell. Not exactly renowned for his silky dribbling skills, he just used to boot the ball about ten yards ahead of him past his marker and run after it. He was very fast in an ungainly way. What he did was very basic but strangely effective. I used to love watching Gerry Fell.

Gerry Fell scored one of the best goals I saw at the Goldstone, against Southend, I think. He received the ball just inside his own half, powered past two defenders in the way marlowe described and unleashed a rocket shot from about 25 yards - absolute cracker.

I also stood behind him in a post office queue once - he gets cult status just for that.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Absolutely. The Football Genius is the epitome of the term 'cult hero'. Probably only Alan Duffy and Hans Kraay come close in my 53 years of following Brighton.

And yes, just to join the O/T debate: Napier, Horton, Ward, Zamora, Lawrenson, etc aren't 'Cult Heroes', they're 'Legends'. There is a huge difference.

Absolutely.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
....I've declared on J.C. ...F.G.

As a kid, it was Brian Horton/ P O'S ... But they was too good to be a cult heroes.

Last edited:

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
(In some kind of particular order)

Glenn Murray - No explanation really needed. The only souring part of the whole thing is him going to Palace. You really couldn't write the script of how he came back to the Albion and getting us promoted to the promised land! The echoes of FFS Murray coming back from Palace fans really is quite glorious and poetic justice.

Bobby Zamora - Prolific even when everyone around him was nowhere near his skill level. Helped us climb out the slump. Without him there is no way Brighton would even be in the PL at this point.

Inigo Caldoron The guy bleeds Albion and a good vibe to have around the club. I think he will have quite a bit of involvement with Albion in the future. The dressing room desperately need a Calderon at the moment!

Bruno Very similar to Calderon. Can see both having a future at the Albion.

Kurt Nogan Was the main man when I started going regularly to the Goldstone as a kid.

Steve Foster - All about the headband!

Dean Wilkins Was a great servant to the club as a player and thought he did a good job as Manager. Was disappointed with the way that all went.

Many more and could go on all night... As much as I think the guy is a little turd, Leon Knight has to get a mention just for his penalty against Bristol City!

Last edited:

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
-the bloke with the board at half time (45 years later it still makes me smile )
-the Eintracht Frankfurt fan at Fans Utd (going to see them on Saturday: their fans have impressed me ever since)
-Teddy Maybank (lived down the road from us)
-Peter Ward, Bobby Zamora, Glenn Murray
-whoever created that mural of Bruno

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Brian Powney, Peter Grummitt, Tony Towner, Ken Beamish, John Templeman (the goal that promoted us in 1972), Willie Irvine, Kit and John Napier, Brian Bromley.

No one can accuse me of being stuck in an era!:thumbsup:

You sound like you are the same vintage as me. I'd add Sully to that list.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I bloody loved Alex Dawson as a 10 year old. Skill, fitness bollox... smash the goalie in the net and then get the winner with a diving header.

What ever happened to the diving headers ? They are like white dog shit and Spangles aren’t they ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here